Steam OS

Guest Mogie56

Guest Mogie56

So any thoughts on the new "Beta" Steam OS? From what I've read it also comes with the new "Steam Machine" which looks cool and all but only time will tell on how good it is or isn't.

And still being in Beta I would imagine it has alot to be worked on still. Can't say as I would go for it since most games are made for windows or consoles, not sure how this will co-exist with windows since the steam machine is supposed to attach to a PC. Of course there still isn't a whole lot of info on it as yet. I would say though that it would really be something to get away from the windows headache if this pans out.

So what are the thoughts on this? 

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/

Guest Mogie56

More then likely it won't work, I would just like to see Microshaft get the wind knocked out of it's sails for a change, Windows may be all about ease of use but at the cost of resources no OS should need, and loading time is longer than a glitchy console on day one release. but like the artical says. the OS is mainly for the SteamBox, just have to wait and see what the final deal is all about.

The thing people needs to understand is that Linux is quite specific in its entirety. The base kernel is quite light but that's it. Only when you specifically tailor it for a purpose, then it becomes a problem. Windows is quite hefty but that's the price of an OS that's quite generic and needing to work on EVERY single possible combination of hardware out there.

My thoughts? Sweet fuck all. SteamOS is probably the worst idea that Valve has already done. You want me to buy two PCs just for the sake of gaming on the couch since Linux games are rare as hen's teeth? Well, fuck that.

I'm with you here.

Not only is it a linux thing, which instantly reduces your market to nearly zero, it's just the steam client in "big picture" mode ON linux.

This is from someone who already does have an HTPC in the living room, with steam installed, that does play some PC games on the couch. I've been looking for a good HTPC suite for a long time that would integrate gaming and the other main thing I use the HTPC for -- netflix/hulu -- and had, ideally, good DVR capability. I had high hopes for SteamOS. They were instantly dashed when the beta was released and I saw it was just the Steam client running on Linux.

Archived