Skyrim folder copy paste

shadow866

Hello!

Im wondering if its safe to copy your entire Data folder to a external harddrive and then remove skyrim. And then reinstall skyrim and replace that fresh install with my copy from the external harddrive?

Will that mess up the registry or make it unplayable?

Reason im asking is because im going to reinstall windows and i really dont want to chase down all 200+ or so mods i already have in skyrim.

Thanks

Put simple: if you backup only the game folder, you'll loose your load order, setup and save games, if the uninstallation deleted those files in My Documents\My Games\Skyrim, so backup those as well.

As for copying or moving the whole game somewhere else, no matter if archived or not, it's a simple backup and should work from where ever you put it, as Steam will restore needed system files and registry entries, after moving the game back to an steam library folder.

Well reinstalled skyrim but when i copy my data folder and prefs and so on. My Skyrim launcher instantly crashes for some reason. So i guess it was not as simple as copy and paste the data folder. Things usally never are simple ;)

No clue whats wrong

Any special files i should avoid in the data folder that could cause skyrim launcher not to work when i copy the data folder?

Edit: Hmm now im getting the error: d3dx9_43.dll is missing, when i tried to run skse. Tried to reinstall directx but it didnt help it seems.

Archived