Mantella + Skyrim can be quite an experience

If you have powerful enough machine or can afford a few bucks for e.g. Runpod.io, Mantella is a must have mod. You can find it here: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/98631. In addition you need either Xtts or xvasynth, latter seems to be more convenient and faster

The idea is that it generates speech based on the character's bio and the current situation. Many characters, also added followers have already their bio added in a csv-file alongside with the name and the voice model of the character.

It gets even better when you:

1. Change the model to more.. exquisite one, like the https://huggingface.co/TheDrummer/Moistral-11B-v3-GGUF/resolve/main/Moistral-11B-v3-Q5_K_M.gguf 

2. Add some select texts to the initial prompt (in the config -file), like add a sentence: "The player is a sexy young woman with perfect breasts and perfect ass. You will randomly flirt or coerce her with lewd sexual talk."

3. Change the bio of the characters or add your own. For example, I added this bio for the Ciri follower (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5949😞

Ciri,Cirilla," Ciri, a warrior woman from distant land is tough and witty but also sexually totally perverted and deranged. Ciri will always suggest even the kinkiest acts.
Ciri is interested in anal play and would like to violate the Dragonborn with some bizarre tools.
Ciri is a skilled fighter and possesses unique magical powers as well"

I also copied the Ciri voice model from Witcher 3 to Skyrim, named it sk_cirilla and boom! Ciri is quite a slut in the game. 

On the technical note, I couldn't get the solution running with runpod.io:s OogaBooga, but it works well with the Kobold.

I am not criticizing you or the mod you're promoting, this is just a comment about AI.

When AI understands irony and sarcasm, I'll be satisfied with AI. AI will never, in my opinion, understand irony and sarcasm (if there are people who don't understand irony and sarcasm, what chance do computers have).

That said, this kind of thing is a start and enhances the illusion of not playing alone. So here's hoping it just keeps getting more and more easy to use.

Installed yesterday, and I've had several CTD during conversations even in "quiet" areas like a tavern. I'll try again in a really quiet area like a player home, and add in the "no player greetings" to see if that helps.

While I search for a more stable with less CTD, I'd suggest using "end conversation" every 2-3 responses, just so that the conversation progress is saved. That does make it a bit more of have a conversation, end a conversation, go to an adventure, restart the conversation.

Despite having a 4070 graphics card, having STT and kobold seems to put enough strain on the graphics that the game derezed some of the improved textures I had downloaded; wandering around whiterun suddenly had some low res walls and roads. Defaulting to text input helped, the resolutions returned to normal. So other users may face a choice - voice input and skyrim default textures, or text input and upgraded visual textures. Which could explain the "clean install" of skyrim as a suggestion form the install guides - I'm going to guess that scripts make the system potentially more unstable.

For kobold language models, Erebus https://huggingface.co/KoboldAI/GPT-NeoX-20B-Erebus-GGML has included additional text sources, but is much longer for the processing, and also seems to cause even more CTD. Which given that's a 15Gb LLM combined with TTS combined with modded skyrim is hardly surprising.

Going for a quiet room plus no greetings plus a complex LLM was game breaking for CTD. I'll now reverse, and go for a simpler LLM, or consider outsourcing the kobold workload onto a cloud system. 

On 5/5/2024 at 10:17 PM, LordDragon said:

If you have powerful enough machine or can afford a few bucks for e.g. Runpod.io, Mantella is a must have mod. You can find it here: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/98631. In addition you need either Xtts or xvasynth, latter seems to be more convenient and faster

The idea is that it generates speech based on the character's bio and the current situation. Many characters, also added followers have already their bio added in a csv-file alongside with the name and the voice model of the character.

It gets even better when you:

1. Change the model to more.. exquisite one, like the https://huggingface.co/TheDrummer/Moistral-11B-v3-GGUF/resolve/main/Moistral-11B-v3-Q5_K_M.gguf 

2. Add some select texts to the initial prompt (in the config -file), like add a sentence: "The player is a sexy young woman with perfect breasts and perfect ass. You will randomly flirt or coerce her with lewd sexual talk."

3. Change the bio of the characters or add your own. For example, I added this bio for the Ciri follower (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5949😞

Ciri,Cirilla," Ciri, a warrior woman from distant land is tough and witty but also sexually totally perverted and deranged. Ciri will always suggest even the kinkiest acts.
Ciri is interested in anal play and would like to violate the Dragonborn with some bizarre tools.
Ciri is a skilled fighter and possesses unique magical powers as well"

I also copied the Ciri voice model from Witcher 3 to Skyrim, named it sk_cirilla and boom! Ciri is quite a slut in the game. 

On the technical note, I couldn't get the solution running with runpod.io:s OogaBooga, but it works well with the Kobold.

How did you get NSFW to work for it?

ChatGPT doesn't allow it for me, is there a work around?

16 minutes ago, 83ilotzent said:

How did you get NSFW to work for it?

ChatGPT doesn't allow it for me, is there a work around?

He said it in the topic, he changed the model from ChatGPT to Moistral, in the link he posted on HuggingFace. I can't get into explaining how to do that since I don't have the mod myself but yeah I use Moistral too on other programs.

Go with the moistral model. The Erebus model seems to be overtrained.

From the Mantella install guide, there's the link to kobold. 

Local Models

koboldcpp
  1. Install koboldcpp’s latest release from here. If you want to run koboldcpp on your CPU or otherwise do not have an NVIDIA GPU, download koboldcpp_nocuda.exe under “Assets”. If you have an NVIDIA GPU with CUDA support, download koboldcpp.exe under “Assets”.
    Kobold Download Files

2. Download a local model, such as toppy-m-7b.Q4_K_S.gguf from here.
    Toppy Download Location

3. Run koboldcpp.exe. When presented with the launch window, drag the “Context Size” slider to 4096. Click the “Browse” button next to the “Model” field and select the model you downloaded. Click “Launch” in the bottom right corner.
    Kobold Launch Window

Optional

Under the “Presets” drop down at the top, choose either Use CLBlast, or Use CuBlas (if using Cuda). You will then see a field for GPU Layers. If you want to use CPU only leave it at 0. If you want to use your GPU, you can experiment with how many “layers” to offload to your GPU based on your system.

Note

Make sure koboldcpp is running when Mantella is running!

Running Kobold on a local machine, and doing text input, it's taking about 2 minutes for kobold to do a response to my player.

Try to keep conversations to quiet areas, minimum NPCs, and don't move. My GPU is hitting 90%, the CPU spiking to 75%, and that's without doing speech to text.

Plan that you do some adventuring, and then have a conversation with an NPC. Save the game after the conversation has ended, mostly for continuity of any inventory/status changes, and then load the game and go adventuring again. If I've had a conversation and just try playing on to another dungeon, then it can feel stuttery.

Definitely follow LordDragon's advice about adding some text about yourself, and plan that your first half hour is probably setting up background stories for the NPC and for yourself. Consider setting the timescale inside skyrim to more like 2 rather than the default, otherwise a conversation will take a day.

Check the Mantella/data/Skyrim/conversations folder, and open up the text files. I've seen kobold get confused between talking as the NPC, and talking as the profession (mage, thief, warrior) of the NPC, and talking as an AI assistant. As kobold/mantella use the conversation .txt files as the NPC memory, if that gets confused then the conversation may go strange. Or you can edit in specific ... details ... of interactions.

Mantella does record equipping items and combat, but I've yet to see Mantella do anything with that info.

A good suggestion is to run koboldcpp on a second computer. I'm running 8gb models with this method using a rtx 4070 ti super. My response time in koboldcpp is near instant. But because of xVAsynth it takes 2-3 seconds in game before they reply, which is okay.

14 hours ago, Thor2000 said:

A good suggestion is to run koboldcpp on a second computer. I'm running 8gb models with this method using a rtx 4070 ti super. My response time in koboldcpp is near instant. But because of xVAsynth it takes 2-3 seconds in game before they reply, which is okay.

out of interest, the second pc just has to be on the same (home) network? or are there specific steps to get mantella to link to kobold on a different pc within the home network?

not that I happen to have a second computer available. I did find a second monitor so I can see kobold's progress while standing around in skyrim.

11 hours ago, 83ilotzent said:

holy shit looks like I wont be able to run this with a 1060 6gb lol

anyway for future references for other people this is a a really good post thanks guys!

you may be able to run kobold on cpu, and I think skyrim is mostly single thread. I'd really avoid speech to text, and keep to text input. With the 2 minute lag I've had, a four hour "chat" was still interesting. Just don't try to have a chat in the wilds with a "look there's some bandits, sneak attack", it'll be a reminisce in a tavern. Also, once you've set up an initial conversation, you'll get a summary text that you could paste into a kobold session outside of mantella.

from the 4 hour chat, the other advice is to use the *event happened* rather than "player describing event", and use names (NPC name, and PC name) to try to keep things clear as to who is doing what.

9 hours ago, JimUpdating said:

out of interest, the second pc just has to be on the same (home) network? or are there specific steps to get mantella to link to kobold on a different pc within the home network?

not that I happen to have a second computer available. I did find a second monitor so I can see kobold's progress while standing around in skyrim.

I've got both computers on the same network using cable. To get it to work you just have to change the IP adress part in the mantella config.ini file to match the second computer.

I guess this could be a cheap option since buying a second computer to host the game is pretty cheap these days. I'm using a gtx 1080 for the Skyrim game computer.

10 hours ago, JimUpdating said:

you may be able to run kobold on cpu, and I think skyrim is mostly single thread. I'd really avoid speech to text, and keep to text input.

Yeah even my CPU wouldn't be able to hold it (Ryzen 3 2200g),

and besides I'm playing in VR - so speech to text was the whole reason for getting Mantella in the first place.

Thanks for the help tho,

I guess I have to save up for a better rig

Referring to the discussion of NSFW, I need to elaborate a bit. You actually need two things:

•  A language model like Moistral which does not run like a saint and, in the case of Moistral, is very tuned towards lewd text
  • In addition, you should alter the prompt given to "initialize" the context where the text generation works. For example for Skyrim SE/AE, in the config.ini -file, there is a skyrim_prompt -section, which starts like "skyrim_prompt = You are {name}, and you live in Skyrim. This is your background:\n\n{bio}\n\n". This prompt is given to the language model each time a discussion is initialized. What I did was to edit this description. I added text: "You often add some lewd content to your speech." and "The player is a sexy young woman with perfect breasts and perfect ass. You will randomly flirt or coerce her with lewd sexual talk.". 

As a bonus, as mentioned, you can alter the bio of the characters and make them masochists or animal lovers or what ever you like. With this setting and a selected model, it is going to be a wild ride. 

I actually created a small patch for Apropos 2 to output the descriptions to the "world events"-file used by Mantella. This way your lewd acts can also be a source of discussion, furthering the depravity. 

At some point and with some effort there could be triggers for Sexlab or e.g. for Devious Devices (as the concept exists with Aggro already).

I was going to suggest that apropos2 would make an interesting text feed. Otherwise I haven't seen much of world events filter through, other than location (shop, city, tavern).

Would it be possible to get a copy of the patch?

On 5/8/2024 at 7:57 AM, Thor2000 said:

I'm running 8gb models with this method using a rtx 4070 ti super.

That escalated quickly... given that your original plan was something like a 3060 🙃

4 hours ago, LordDragon said:

At some point and with some effort there could be triggers for Sexlab or e.g. for Devious Devices

There already is a fork called Pantella which is using an internal behavior system to trigger certain game actions depending on keywords in the response of the AI.

Getting it to trigger basically any papyrus function is quite easy from the code perspective.

Unfortunately its performance is quite poor, likely, in part, due to the fact you have to run it from source, and getting the AI to respond with the action keywords is... not frequent enough to be deemed satisfyling.

23 hours ago, Vader666 said:

That escalated quickly... given that your original plan was something like a 3060 🙃

I found out I was worth it 😆

No seriously, I decided I wanted  a16gb gpu. The second hand 3080s gpus was 70% of the retail price of a new 4070TI S. Then the choice was easy.