I seem to have some issues with brainsperms armors, when I try to equip any of them I get a ctd. The other two armors work fine though(MAK07 light and Amiella's outfit). Is there a file I'm missing? Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Hmm, odd, are you using any skeleton replacers? Like xp32's maximum compatibility skeleton? There might be extra bones in brainsperm's armors that aren't in the MAX/Amiella sets.

Yes, I am using the skeleton provided by Trykz for his custom race mod. As far as I know this has pretty much everything xp32's has with added tail bone for non-beast races.

Update: crashes with xp32 as well, if that is the casue atleast.

Yes, I am using the skeleton provided by Trykz for his custom race mod. As far as I know this has pretty much everything xp32's has with added tail bone for non-beast races.

Hrm, it's not the scripts, not the skeleton, no files are missing, and I don't see any conflicting form/editor IDs. The only difference I can think of off the top of my head is that brainsperm armors use a blank body for the base armor.

Can you try replacing the meshes in \meshes\armor\BU with the ones from \BU-Amiella\meshes\DAF BU\Amiella and see if the crash persists? That should narrow down the problem a bit.

How do I know what to put for the 'xx'??

It's the load number for the esp that contains the armor. Basically look at your plugin list and next to the name of the plugin there is a two digit number, this is the load number, replace xx with that number.

Okay so I tried that and it still doesn't work. I use NMM and the load order it says 1C and in index 29

I typed 'player.additem 1c000d63 1' for amiella  and it didn't work. I also tried the index 29000d63 and it didn't work :-P

How do I know what to put for the 'xx'??

It's the load number for the esp that contains the armor. Basically look at your plugin list and next to the name of the plugin there is a two digit number, this is the load number, replace xx with that number.

Okay so I tried that and it still doesn't work. I use NMM and the load order it says 1C and in index 29

I typed 'player.additem 1c000d63 1' for amiella  and it didn't work. I also tried the index 29000d63 and it didn't work :-P

its 29000d62, do a help Amiella and it'll show u the armor id.

I cant repair the armors... Has some option in dialog whit blacksmiths?

There's not dialog option, as long as you aren't wearing the BU armor you'll get a notification on the top left of the screen saying you repair your armor when you use a forge/anvil/workbench.

Whoops, somehow I missed your PM regarding this, sorry. Like Whizkid says you can always do a "help Amiella" to get the correct code, for the brainsperm set and MAK armor it's "help "BU "" (space between BU and the ") and "help "Imperial Light Armor"" (you'll get a bunch of results, but it'll be the one that doesn't start with 00).

Hrm, it's not the scripts, not the skeleton, no files are missing, and I don't see any conflicting form/editor IDs. The only difference I can think of off the top of my head is that brainsperm armors use a blank body for the base armor.

Can you try replacing the meshes in \meshes\armor\BU with the ones from \BU-Amiella\meshes\DAF BU\Amiella and see if the crash persists? That should narrow down the problem a bit.

Ok, so I tried that and it didn't crash. So there's obviously an issue with the mesh. Should I try to reinstall cbbe? I kind of remember switching the regular body for one I made with the bodyslider that comes with the cbbe mod.

Ok, so I tried that and it didn't crash. So there's obviously an issue with the mesh. Should I try to reinstall cbbe? I kind of remember switching the regular body for one I made with the bodyslider that comes with the cbbe mod.

Nah, that's not necessary, the body you're using shouldn't affect it.

Try replacing the base armor mesh only, then only the DMG# armor meshes, and see if either or both cause crashing.

Nah, that's not necessary, the body you're using shouldn't affect it.

Try replacing the base armor mesh only, then only the DMG# armor meshes, and see if either or both cause crashing.

Ok, so with the base mesh from amiella and dmg mesh from brain it "worked", as in, it didn't crash (but resulted in clipping) and base brain armor mesh with amiella dmg mesh still crashed. If it makes any difference I only tested this particular thing with the fur armor. Should be the same problem for all of them right?

Ok, so with the base mesh from amiella and dmg mesh from brain it "worked", as in, it didn't crash (but resulted in clipping) and base brain armor mesh with amiella dmg mesh still crashed. If it makes any difference I only tested this particular thing with the fur armor. Should be the same problem for all of them right?

Yeah, definitely seems like it's the base mesh that's not playing nice with your game. Try these meshes, I just made them by using nifskope to delete the armor and body from one of the DMG meshes. Comparing the resulting mesh and the original base mesh shows there's one extra node in the original, but no idea if that's what's causing the crashes.

Yeah, definitely seems like it's the base mesh that's not playing nice with your game. Try these meshes, I just made them by using nifskope to delete the armor and body from one of the DMG meshes. Comparing the resulting mesh and the original base mesh shows there's one extra node in the original, but no idea if that's what's causing the crashes.

Nope, still crashes. Does it have anything to do with me using bpp? Maybe the armors use tbbp? Or if maybe I should try using the mesh from the standard fur armor?

Nope, still crashes. Does it have anything to do with me using bpp? Maybe the armors use tbbp? Or if maybe I should try using the mesh from the standard fur armor?

I don't think it should, at least some of the others who downloaded this should be using BBP as well.

Well, here's another shot at a possible fix, this time I used the mesh from Amiella armor and just flagged the mesh as hidden instead of deleting branches. Theoretically this should work. I hope.

Maybe.

Fingers crossed.

Edit: Mesh patch now available in the download page.

NPCs can't use the BU armor: in order to attach the OnHit event to the player I had to attach the script to either a quest or a magic effect. The former allows you to enchant the armor while sacrificing the ability for NPCs to use it; the latter allows NPCs to use it but sacrifices the ability to enchant the armor. Still trying to figure out how to have my cake and eat it.

I don't know much about modding, but I'm really interested in an NPC based version.

Would a possible workaround be to increase the limit on enchantments (that are found in other mods)? Maybe change it so all armors/weapons are enchanted with the BU framework, but then increase the maximum enchantments without Extra Effect to 2, and with it to 3.

I don't think it should, at least some of the others who downloaded this should be using BBP as well.

Well, here's another shot at a possible fix, this time I used the mesh from Amiella armor and just flagged the mesh as hidden instead of deleting branches. Theoretically this should work. I hope.

Maybe.

Fingers crossed.

That seems to have done it, it doesn't crash anymore and the all the armors worh fine now. Thank you for having the patience to deal with me and my problem.

I don't know much about modding, but I'm really interested in an NPC based version.

Would a possible workaround be to increase the limit on enchantments (that are found in other mods)? Maybe change it so all armors/weapons are enchanted with the BU framework, but then increase the maximum enchantments without Extra Effect to 2, and with it to 3.

Well, the problem isn't the enchantment limit, it's that Skyrim doesn't let you add enchantments to an already-enchanted item. There doesn't seem to be a way to work around this and I can't make it a generic enchantment because the script needs to have the itemID of all the stages manually entered into its array through the Creation Kit; if there's a way for me to populate the array through the script then it might be possible, but from what I've seen of the available functions that might be impossible.

What I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to do is see if I can get the BU quest itself to dynamically track actors based on whether or not they have the associated armor in their inventory. I was pointed to a slave mod on as a suggestion on how I might accomplish this, which involves creating a bunch of placeholder Quest Aliases, attaching the script to each one, and figure my way from there; it's not the best solution though, since it means extra work for modders (they'll have to fill out the armor array in each Quest Alias), and there will be a maximum number of NPCs who can use BU armors at any given time. That's assuming it even works like I think it'll work, so far this is all purely theoretical.

The ideal solution, however, lies outside of my control: that is for SKSE to update OnHit to extend to the actor that has the scripted object equipped. If that happens then things would be so much easier.

That seems to have done it, it doesn't crash anymore and the all the armors worh fine now. Thank you for having the patience to deal with me and my problem.

No problem, it'll benefit anyone else who has the same problem as well, so no reason not to do it :)

What I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to do is see if I can get the BU quest itself to dynamically track actors based on whether or not they have the associated armor in their inventory. I was pointed to a slave mod on as a suggestion on how I might accomplish this, which involves creating a bunch of placeholder Quest Aliases, attaching the script to each one, and figure my way from there; it's not the best solution though, since it means extra work for modders (they'll have to fill out the armor array in each Quest Alias), and there will be a maximum number of NPCs who can use BU armors at any given time. That's assuming it even works like I think it'll work, so far this is all purely theoretical.

If you want to run a script on all npcs then make this:

- magic effect(Effect archetype: script... constant effect, self, no duration , no area)

- add a script(script extends activemagiceffect) to magic effect -> this script will run on npcs

- attach magic effect to an ability(which is a spell) with 0 magnitude

- Then add that ability to all races (breton, khajit, etc).

If you want to run a script on all npcs then make this:

- magic effect(Effect archetype: script... constant effect, self, no duration , no area)

- add a script(script extends activemagiceffect) to magic effect -> this script will run on npcs

- attach magic effect to an ability(which is a spell) with 0 magnitude

- Then add that ability to all races (breton, khajit, etc).

Thanks for the suggestion! I've actually considered it before, but the problem I ran into is that it makes the BU armor unusable for custom races; modders would need to make a compatibility patch for every custom race or expect users to make the tweaks themselves, hence why I think the only way to do this is either through an enchantment or quest.

That being said, maybe I can make a second script that attaches to the armor, which in turn "equips" whichever actor wears the armor with this ability? I don't know if that will work with NPCs, but my main concern is what happens when I unequip the armor and the ability gets removed - that might reset damage stage... unless I store that as a global variable that the armor script will update whenever it's equipped/unequipped.

Hrm. Thanks again, don't think I would have revisited this possibility if you hadn't mentioned it.