What is currently the best version of Skyrim for modding?

Just now, Caster245 said:

i see 

so i will just go with current one then 

ty

You have two choices, basically. You can go with the "original" LE version or you can use the 64 bit AE version (previously known as SE). The biggest (but not only) advantage of LE is that it is no longer being updated by Bethesda. Once having your game stable you no longer have to worry about someone else fouling it up. There are also many mods from LE that have yet to be converted to 64 bit. The big advantage to AE is that getting your game to be stable is much easier (when Bugthesda Bethesda isn't putting out another new version) than in LE.

if going for skyrim SE/AE, then set the Steam manifest file appmanifest_489830.acf , inside the steamapps folder, to read only.

that seems to be a more reliable way of locking out any updates.

skyrim 1.6.1170 seems to be working, but may have broken some SAM / Racemenu integration.

The advantage is we're into really large numbers of mods that can be loaded. Which may also introduce more potential mod conflict issues, and mod list bloat with stuff that you don't see on an average playthrough. I use the occasional Skyrim update as a good time to go back through my mod list, and remove things that sounded good, but required a dedicated expedition to notice.