Does anybody but me smell something fishy about the recent Skyrim updates?

Hear me out:

-Starfield was released in September
-SSE 1.6.1130 was released in December
-SSE 1.6.1170 was released less than a month later.

They knew 1130 was going to released, and that it would force every mod maker to update their mods - and every end user to download the latest versions - but not only broke all of those mods without telling anybody the update was coming but did it just a month after their previous patch, and didn't tell anyone they were going to release another patch. They couldn't not know this because they were doubtless working on both updates concurrently, and simply elected to release one first.

Is Bethesda deliberately sabotaging the Skyrim modding community?

For sure. It's not like updating the game to release CC content makes them money. No. Also it's not like every update since the 2011 release changes the executable and thus a new SKSE is needed. No, no. It's a deliberate sabotage to break user's games. Users who don't know how to prevent automatic updates specifically. Deliberate I say.

I mean to be fair they were breaking people's games by updating it for absolutely no reason before anyway. But yea, this has finally inspired me to learn how to use a depatcher. I am so tired of this. The Elder Scrolls is really the only series I really cared about from Bethesda. If anything, this updating hell is actually making me go through my backlog of other games. I still come back from time to time and try to get everything to work, but its not 100% yet.

Real talk though, making the newest "re-release" of Skyrim essentially just a big paid patch for the last version of Skyrim was so smart, because now they have control over their Anniversary Editions AND their Special Edition all at once. Legitimately, they are probably making BANK off of console players with the Creation Club; the entire "young dad who does not have enough time to play most games anymore with an income just disposable enough to buy a bunch of one-time-purchase small DLC's, but not blow money on gacha" crowd is probably frothing at the mouth. People buy stuff from CC all the time, if they did not, then it would not exist. Simple.

On 2/1/2024 at 2:51 PM, Just Don't said:

For sure. It's not like updating the game to release CC content makes them money. No. Also it's not like every update since the 2011 release changes the executable and thus a new SKSE is needed. No, no. It's a deliberate sabotage to break user's games. Users who don't know how to prevent automatic updates specifically. Deliberate I say.

You're not wrong - I'm good with giving Bethesda money - but destroying everything outside of the CC mercilessly and with little warning is super not okay.

On 2/1/2024 at 3:18 PM, spoonsinger said:

Don't attribute to malice that which is probably just incompetence. 

Yep. Heaven forbid they respect their modding community: "Oh hey! Okay so real quick, we're working on a new updated. We're calling it 1.6.1130; however, we've identified an additional couple of faults we'll be addressing in an additional update 1.6.1170. The release window will be a month apart; the short version is, these are the release dates, so do this and this to make sure your mods stay up to date."

^^wishful thinking, I guess!

On 2/1/2024 at 3:18 PM, Gukahn said:

I also heard when you boil water and it gets hot  it's also a bethesda trick to sell us ice cubes to cool it down again  ☝️🤓

lmao

On 2/1/2024 at 9:04 PM, katkillyou said:

I mean to be fair they were breaking people's games by updating it for absolutely no reason before anyway. But yea, this has finally inspired me to learn how to use a depatcher. I am so tired of this. The Elder Scrolls is really the only series I really cared about from Bethesda. If anything, this updating hell is actually making me go through my backlog of other games. I still come back from time to time and try to get everything to work, but its not 100% yet.

Real talk though, making the newest "re-release" of Skyrim essentially just a big paid patch for the last version of Skyrim was so smart, because now they have control over their Anniversary Editions AND their Special Edition all at once. Legitimately, they are probably making BANK off of console players with the Creation Club; the entire "young dad who does not have enough time to play most games anymore with an income just disposable enough to buy a bunch of one-time-purchase small DLC's, but not blow money on gacha" crowd is probably frothing at the mouth. People buy stuff from CC all the time, if they did not, then it would not exist. Simple.

I didn't even know you could turn the auto-updates off completely until after I saw 1.6.1170 download and release. I no longer even turn steam on for fear of not wanting to accidentally auto-download the latest update.

I'm also quite happy with the current mod list & load order I have, so I don't think I'll ever use Skyrim through Steam ever again.

On 2/2/2024 at 12:18 PM, oblivioner said:

This is why I have Skyrim SE set to update only on launch from Steam, and then only ever launch it via MO2.  Same with Fallout 4, for that matter.

On 2/2/2024 at 7:18 PM, oblivioner said:

This is why I have Skyrim SE set to update only on launch from Steam, and then only ever launch it via MO2.  Same with Fallout 4, for that matter.

I've been on 1.5.97 my entire time, because of incompetent mod makers that will do everything in their power to glorify how good the "newest version!" is and that it doesn't just break everything because the blame falls on the mod authors that "didn't update their mods".

Yeah no fucking shit they didn't update their mods, some of them are just straight up gone, what the fuck are we going to do, NOT USE THE MODS?

Edited by Mozny
On 2/7/2024 at 1:18 AM, Mozny said:

I've been on 1.5.97 my entire time, because of incompetent mod makers that will do everything in their power to glorify how good the "newest version!" is and that it doesn't just break everything because the blame falls on the mod authors that "didn't update their mods".

Yeah no fucking shit they didn't update their mods, some of them are just straight up gone, what the fuck are we going to do, NOT USE THE MODS?

every mod created by volunteers, whether here or nexus or elsewhere, is a gift of their limited mortal time.

meanwhile, to avoid changes, consider setting appmanifest_489830.acf to read only. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 8:34 PM, keitel66 said:

Does anybody but me smell something fishy about the recent Skyrim updates?

Hear me out:

-Starfield was released in September
-SSE 1.6.1130 was released in December
-SSE 1.6.1170 was released less than a month later.

They knew 1130 was going to released, and that it would force every mod maker to update their mods - and every end user to download the latest versions - but not only broke all of those mods without telling anybody the update was coming but did it just a month after their previous patch, and didn't tell anyone they were going to release another patch. They couldn't not know this because they were doubtless working on both updates concurrently, and simply elected to release one first.

Is Bethesda deliberately sabotaging the Skyrim modding community?

Sometimes youre an asset, sometimes youre a liability.

Modding has become 80% of the community (if not more),

Bethesdas influence has smallered, the publisher (microsoft I think) doesnt like it, cause less stonks

Thus behave like you wanna help the community and start drafting modders.

Then underpay em, and cut yourself some slack. more stonks.

update skyrim= piss of a lot of people= maybe theyll stop trying, or move on

and eat what we feed.

The engine is so fleshed out, why not finally get a free full release of bethesdas engine, if they can only produce shit games

(as it seems atm) and leech, then why not good old power to the people, lets make our own games?

ah right.... less stonks