Is it possible to change a numerical value within a mod? Like if you’re doing a quest mod, and it says you need X amount of something to proceed. But X isn’t an actual item, just a numerical level you get for doing certain things.

Depends entirely on how the mod stores the value and checks your progress.

Some mods have those values hard coded into a script and checks if you have done so many things.  Others will have values stored in variables and you can easily change the value with TES5edit, and sometimes you can change them via the console instead.  Still others store progress as a faction rank and may store the goal as a hard coded value or a variable you can change but that also lets you change your faction rank on the fly via the console. You may need to change your rank and then do something that increases your progress normally for the mod to re-evaluate your progress and notice you have achieved the goal. Depending on whether the modder used = or >= getting to rank 11 when 10 is all that was planned may create a bug that stalls the progress.

8 minutes ago, karlpaws said:

Depends entirely on how the mod stores the value and checks your progress.

Some mods have those values hard coded into a script and checks if you have done so many things.  Others will have values stored in variables and you can easily change the value with TES5edit, and sometimes you can change them via the console instead.  Still others store progress as a faction rank and may store the goal as a hard coded value or a variable you can change but that also lets you change your faction rank on the fly via the console. You may need to change your rank and then do something that increases your progress normally for the mod to re-evaluate your progress and notice you have achieved the goal. Depending on whether the modder used = or >= getting to rank 11 when 10 is all that was planned may create a bug that stalls the progress.

Its the Thief quest mod. The newest patch you have to be the "champion" in different crafts to move on. I am having a difficult time achieving this.

4 hours ago, KanoBuhen said:

Its the Thief quest mod. The newest patch you have to be the "champion" in different crafts to move on. I am having a difficult time achieving this.

I never got to that mod so I can't give you any hints from looking under the hood.  I see you've asked in the support thread for the mod so hopefully someone there can give you an official help.