I'm screwing around with slot 32 and it's ability to hide the naked body.

Does anyone have any information about this?

Basically, I wanted to make it so any armor equipped in slot 32 to not hide the naked body.

Armors usually have their body mesh attached to the armor and thus the player's naked body is hidden to allow the armor mesh to replace it completely and prevent clipping. Is there any way to turn that off without changing the armor's slot?

Conclusion

After a bit more experimentation, I like to just put this out in case it might help someone in the future.

First off.

HOW DO ONE SET AN ARMOR TO A SLOT?

You need three things:

The Nif of the armor.

The armor records in the creation kit.

The armor addon records in the creation kit.

The following goes into more detail.

[Skyrim LE/SSE] Skin Partitions - Nif to CK - Knowledge Base - AFK Mods

My explanation:

At least one slot on each entry must have the same slot.

In the creation kit: the biped object on both the armor and the armor addon accessible from the list of models must have at least one biped object that matches. In this case [32 - BODY]

Armor has multiple Biped Objects selected because several models are used to make a single armor. Each of those models has their own ArmorAddon with their own Biped Object selected. In this case Nakedhands has [33 - Hands] and NakedFeet has [37 - Feet]

Spoiler

Capture2.PNG.7f5fdb6688a760403713794fd2a32ef5.PNG

What happens if there is a mismatch? Usually, the armor just doesn't render while occupying the slots highlighted in the Armor section. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Nif. I obtained from creating a new project in body slides of said armor I want to edit. Navigated to the bodyslide data generated.

Caliente tools -> BodySlide -> ShapeData -> [name of project]. In this case its: CBBE 3BBB Body Amazing partition changed.

Then I selected the Nif inside that folder. By editing this nif, You don't have to edit the actual mesh the game uses which is separated into two files bearing the _0 and _1 weight scales in the mesh folder. Just run body slides and build the armor you edited and it will automatically make the two files.

You can edit existing bodyslides BUT DON'T. Treat them as a backup. There is no way to undo this without manually doing it yourself and it might break your armor.

Spoiler

Capture1.PNG.7168bd805e9094c1db65a676de664489.PNG

Click the mesh to go to that part's TriShape[1]. For every TriShape that exists in the Nif, expand them then go to BSDismemberSkinInstance[2]. Expand partition[3] and set the body part to the slot that is selected in Armor and ArmorAddon[4].

What happens if there's a mismatch (Like in the screenshot)? Armor will not render. When you create an armor mashup, this might be why certain parts may show up invisible. You have to go into the Nif and change the partition as the setting is attached to the mesh you're pulling from and it will show up as a different TriShape in NifSkope.

Now what about slot 32?

Slot 32 is the body slot. When the player is "Naked", as in not wearing any armor, the game renders the "Naked Torso" mesh in that slot. The Naked Torso is an armor piece as it is listed as such in the creation kit. In modding, you can treat it as an "Armor" BUT DON'TLEAVE IT ALONE IF YOU CAN HELP YOURSELF.

This "armor" has a special property, unlike other armor. It appears to always be equipped and parts will just disappear when another armor that occupies certain slots is equipped. yet, when that armor also has a Naked Torso mesh included, it can render Overlays.

If you change the Naked Torso slots to NOT HAVE slot 32, it will stop showing overlays.

If you have an outfit with the NakedTorso mesh AND it is in slot 32, overlays will render on the NakedTorso mesh but not on anything else, somehow.

So Overlays

I have no idea. RaceMenu appears to be the one that controls Overlays. There are four overlay "areas". The hand, The body, the feet, and the face. I have no idea how to force Overlays to show up in any other slot and it doesn't seem to be controlled by the creation kit

Answer:

So to answer the base question: Is there any way to turn [the hide NakedTorso mechanic of slot 32] off without changing the armor's slot?

Is there any way to circumvent it? Also no, none that I can find.

Why did I want to do this? I wanted to have custom player meshes. when you build a body in Bodyslide, you are building the body of all female (and sometimes male) bodies in Skyrim. There where a few things I tried as well. Such as making an equipable body with modified meshes.

Another way to do it is by creating a new Race as you can set a different mesh to show up on different races. the Creation kit supports this. however, that means you'll have to add new entries for every armor that you also have to convert to have the new race's NakedBody, which means you'll have to make more Armor and ArmorAddon entries, and that translates to an extra hurdle for anyone who wants to add support for their armor to your race as they also have to duplicate entries.

In case you're wondering. Beast races like Khajiit and Argonians use the same body mesh as human races but with different textures. The most Bethesda used for this system is for their claws.

you're stuck with either using something like Unique player and even that is fairly janky.

Edited by mcnv
Conclusion of research.
15 minutes ago, mcnv said:

how did the modding community figure this out? Trial and error?

It's nothing mysterious.  32 is called the Body slot in the CK for a reason -- it's the body.  That body can (and usually does) have armor or clothing merged with it.  If you remove the body from the armor mesh, you'll have hollow armor.  If you want to layer armor over the torso, you'll have to use a different slot.  You said you don't want to change the armor's slot, so you can't do what you want.

1 hour ago, mcnv said:

Darn. so it's hardcoded?

1 hour ago, ebbluminous said:

Yes

No.  It is not hardcoded.

The reference for body slots is found in the race record.  The OP absolutely could convert naked body to something else or armor to something else.  It would be an enormous amount of work on every main armor, armature and nif for no good reason that makes everything instantly incompatible on release, but it is possible.

Not smart, but possible.

9 hours ago, ebbluminous said:

Go ask the community. I don't ask how they come to every answer/result.

From my standpoint, you and I are part of the community. 

8 hours ago, Seijin8 said:

No.  It is not hardcoded.

Not smart, but possible.

Yeah, I'm going to give up on that then. Thanks

5 hours ago, StarvingMarvin said:

Just use different slot, why it gotta be 32?

Other mods rely on detecting slot 32 for nudity and who knows what else. it's the default "full body armor is on" check.

plus, if I change an outfit to another slot it might interfere with other outfits: not being equipable alongside it, or the opposite issue where two outfits can be equipped when they shouldn't. especially other modded outfits.

On 1/28/2024 at 7:53 AM, ghastley said:

Checks for nudity usually follow the lead of the base game and use WornHasKeyword instead. Body armors use ClothingBody. You can add that keyword to items in any slot to not be nude.

Key word here is "usually". Modesty uses slots primarily, and while a custom exceptions list is possible, its another step to go through when converting armor and clothing.