New Skyrim or Old Skyirm

Just wanting some advice/opinions, I was thinking about getting back into Skyrim but i don't know should i downgrade to before the paid mod update and go from there? Or is it safe to start a load order on the new one? Did the new update break any mods? Also i used to always start my modlist with A Dragonborns Tale guide but that's broken. Could someone point me to a guide that's a good base work to start modding but is still small enough to add lots of mods too?  

Edited by yoqithebear
Vor 6 Stunden sagte Shaydow:

Wenn Sie sich für Modding interessieren, ist dies die Version, die Sie wollen.

Downgrading your Skyrim so far... to the SE version... is no longer necessary - since all important mods already support the AE version.

I'm writing this even though I still have 1.5.9.7... but I set it up about a year ago and serves as the basis for the visual design of my blog story from the TES universe.

If I were to set this up again today - the (current) AE version, which is valid until autumn 2023, would be my choice - because all the mods that I would like to have in my picture work on this AE version!

Definitely don't recommend newcomers to immediately downgrade the game to a +2 years old version. The current version is 90% done in terms of mod support already. And if you do the minimum to prevent automatic updates you'll be safe from future updates breaking your game in any version. 1.5.97 is only useful for those who already have a modded game and don't want to deal with updating their modlists.

1 hour ago, Just Don't said:

1.5.97 is only useful for those who already have a modded game and don't want to deal with updating their modlists.

This is untrue. I update my modlist all the time. There are not enough mods currently released for me to count on one hand that are NOT compatible with 1.5.97, pretty much every new mod is still 1.5.97 compatible. I can tell you that I don't have enough hands and feet with everyone in my house to count the amount of mods I have that require 1.5.97 and any newer versions break them. ALL AE CC content released when AE released can be fully used with 1.5.97, and yes, I do recommend new players to start with 1.5.97 as it will make their lives much easier down the road when they start running into the many mods they may want that only will only work with 1.5.97.

Saying I don't update my modlist is ridiculous.

Want ONE reason to use 1.5.97? NGIO. I won't play without it, and you using an updated version means your not using it, and that means you are missing out. Tell me what major mods am I missing out on you have I can't use?

37 minutes ago, Shaydow said:

Want ONE reason to use 1.5.97? NGIO. I won't play without it, and you using an updated version means your not using it, and that means you are missing out. Tell me what major mods am I missing out on you have I can't use?

You can load a 1.5.97 exe to run NGIO, generate the cache and load it into whatever version of the game you want. And which mods are only available for 1.5.97 that haven't had an alternative or direct upgrade in a more recently released mod? I can only think about a handful of combat mods that aren't really good or fitting to my play style. On the other hand there are a lot of mods that don't backport the fixes from more recent versions (Racemenu and the SL framework to name a few).

So yeah, recommending people who would start from scratch to do an entire additional step of downgrading the game and digging in old files to get +2 years old compatible versions isn't ideal or easier down the road. At all.

Edited by Just Don't

Same here. I need your advice, guys. I had played Skyrim since it's first release to maybe 2015 and I had heavy modded game(more gameplay mods than graphics).

I don't know, that I should play Oldrim or Special Edition? I want to try graphics and ENB mods, but I want also mods like Immersive Horses, cloaks, enhanced enemy AI, dodging, etc. And I want to use some very curvy body mods(with enormous asses), sex mods with a lot of positions, and want to play as a young boy.

What should I choose?

7 hours ago, Miauzi said:

Downgrading your Skyrim so far... to the SE version... is no longer necessary - since all important mods already support the AE version.

I'm writing this even though I still have 1.5.9.7... but I set it up about a year ago and serves as the basis for the visual design of my blog story from the TES universe.

If I were to set this up again today - the (current) AE version, which is valid until autumn 2023, would be my choice - because all the mods that I would like to have in my picture work on this AE version!

Netframework is not supported in any other version than 1.5.97 and thus Dyndolod Alpha 3.0 LOD grass is not supported in any version other than 1.5.97

There are other mods that I could drum up but that one above springs to mind first.

Also it is entirely possible to use, https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/106441

Which effectively allows you to backport everything to 1.5.97 without having to do much of any work on your end.

This means, you can use this, https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/77779

Papy Tweaks, basically speeding up papyrus.

Then you get this, https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/100975

Disk Cache enabler.

-I have 2x48 gigs of RAM, Skyrim will use ~18 gigs actively and have ~10 gigs on standby, because of this DLL pluggin!  Freaking amazing.

Anyway, I think that 1.5.97 is a good place and do not as of yet see too much reason to stay on current version other than perhaps if you want to use a mod pack.

Main thing is no matter what version you run with be sure to know your version number and to prevent Steam from updating your game.

Edited by Gameplayer
3 hours ago, Vorgo said:

Same here. I need your advice, guys. I had played Skyrim since it's first release to maybe 2015 and I had heavy modded game(more gameplay mods than graphics).

I don't know, that I should play Oldrim or Special Edition? I want to try graphics and ENB mods, but I want also mods like Immersive Horses, cloaks, enhanced enemy AI, dodging, etc. And I want to use some very curvy body mods(with enormous asses), sex mods with a lot of positions, and want to play as a young boy.

What should I choose?

I use 1.5.97

That means 

Modern Combat Overhaul, 

All the goodness that comes from having combat behavior overhauled in third person so the game behaves just like modern third person game such as Elden Ring.

Alongside Lovers Lab mods such as Defeat, SLEN, Amorous Adventures.

Yes Creature sex is possible using FNIS and Nemesis, if its what you want.

Dyndolod Alpha,

-Seasons of Skyrim

-Grass Control v8 no grass in objects

-Skoglendi - A Grass Mod

-Happy Tree's

-Cathedral Weathers

-ENB Re-Engaged Cathedral Weather version

Game looks amazing, plays amazing in combat, has romantic potential through Amorous Adventures, and I threw in survival elements aka Frostfall.

Game has seasons, seasons shift the landscape, Dyndolod LOD changes as well with the season, the trees leaves change, the grass changes color.....

Dyndolod?

Basically means you never have crazy ass popin as far as the eye can see, using Netframework alongside "Grass Control v 8" means grass precaches which leads to grass as far as the eye can see nothing like original skyrim fuckingmazing.

Attack - MCO DXP, mod location and written instructions.

https://modding-guild.com/mod/attack-mcodxp/

MCO Guide, 

My random screen shot, 

ScreenShot111.png

Had to scale that down to 25% from 4K.

EVGA z690 Kingpin

i9 12900K

DDR 5 RAM 96 gigs gSkill 6400

MSI RTX 4090 Liquid Suprim X

2 TB 980 Samsung Pro

4 TB WD Black NVME

Play in 4K ~80-144 FPS, ENB, full SMP hair/body/armor/cloth physics on everybody...And on an on.

Skyrim is using ~18-20 gigs RAM actively with ~10 gigs on Standby holding Skyrim assets, Windows gets to stretch its legs so its using ~16 gigs, and then I have all sorts of background programs open including stuff I make edits on with Tes5edit/Outfit Studio and so on....Most of the time got about ~25-30 gigs free an clear on my RAM, guess I could start livestreaming.  My point there?  Uh you can always use more RAM if you know what you are doing with it.

Edited by Gameplayer
1 hour ago, Gameplayer said:

I use 1.5.97

That means 

Modern Combat Overhaul, 

All the goodness that comes from having combat behavior overhauled in third person so the game behaves just like modern third person game such as Elden Ring.

Alongside Lovers Lab mods such as Defeat, SLEN, Amorous Adventures.

Yes Creature sex is possible using FNIS and Nemesis, if its what you want.

Dyndolod Alpha,

-Seasons of Skyrim

-Grass Control v8 no grass in objects

-Skoglendi - A Grass Mod

-Happy Tree's

-Cathedral Weathers

-ENB Re-Engaged Cathedral Weather version

Game looks amazing, plays amazing in combat, has romantic potential through Amorous Adventures, and I threw in survival elements aka Frostfall.

Game has seasons, seasons shift the landscape, Dyndolod LOD changes as well with the season, the trees leaves change, the grass changes color.....

Dyndolod?

Basically means you never have crazy ass popin as far as the eye can see, using Netframework alongside "Grass Control v 8" means grass precaches which leads to grass as far as the eye can see nothing like original skyrim fuckingmazing.

Attack - MCO DXP, mod location and written instructions.

https://modding-guild.com/mod/attack-mcodxp/

MCO Guide, 

My random screen shot, 

ScreenShot111.png

Had to scale that down to 25% from 4K.

EVGA z690 Kingpin

i9 12900K

DDR 5 RAM 96 gigs gSkill 6400

MSI RTX 4090 Liquid Suprim X

2 TB 980 Samsung Pro

4 TB WD Black NVME

Play in 4K ~80-144 FPS, ENB, full SMP hair/body/armor/cloth physics on everybody...And on an on.

Skyrim is using ~18-20 gigs RAM actively with ~10 gigs on Standby holding Skyrim assets, Windows gets to stretch its legs so its using ~16 gigs, and then I have all sorts of background programs open including stuff I make edits on with Tes5edit/Outfit Studio and so on....Most of the time got about ~25-30 gigs free an clear on my RAM, guess I could start livestreaming.  My point there?  Uh you can always use more RAM if you know what you are doing with it.

Thanks a lot. I will check it on the internet. 

So no one uses Oldrim now? It is not possible to have good graphics and sex mods, good looking bodies in Oldrim?

No, I am not a fan of beast races.

31 minutes ago, Vorgo said:

Thanks a lot. I will check it on the internet. 

So no one uses Oldrim now? It is not possible to have good graphics and sex mods, good looking bodies in Oldrim?

No, I am not a fan of beast races.

Oldrim can still be played and can still give SSE a run for its money, but you have to know all the little tricks for the memory edit with the script extender.

Mostly now with SSE, all of that is taken care of in about 2 DLL skse pluggins.

Skyrim SE Engine Fixes mod,

And Papyrus Tweaks NG, I linked that one above.

Almost all the cool mods list Engine Fixes mod as a requirement anyway so I did not bother linking it.

Bodies in oldrim amount to 2 major contenders, CBBE and UUNP.

Skyrim SE has a lot more choices than Skyrim LE for bodies though.

CBBE, UUNP of course but there is also BHUNP, CBA, COCO CBBE, and Touched by Dibella.

I really like Touched by Dibella and have made a lot of refits for it, but it never really took off like CBA did, both TBD and CBA have 2 major physics options.....

The super popular, SMP physics which for breasts is not my favorite but on hair, cloth, and everything that should have cloth like physics its amazing.

CBBP, honestly a very decent physics platform for breasts, butt, and belly....Dependable can run well on just about any hardware out there and just about never hear of any issues in the trouble shooting forums like HDT had.

Main difference between TBD and CBA?

Well TBD honestly my favorite, can support a few body types such as lean, bombshell, and body builder.

CBA well it is basically the swiss army knife of bodies and that is also a reason for why I dont like using it, it has about 3 times the sliders >< so it can be a bit overwhelming.  However, CBA can do a lot more bodies including the ones that TBD does and CBA can do thick/fat/skinny and just about all sorts of crazy body types that well give it a lot of variety when you use it with "Obody Standalone".

Obody Standalone, pretty cool mod.  It looks in your Bodyslide\sliderpreset folder and literally uses all the presets that are there on the females in your game....So if you use that well sort of want to either make them yourself or have a good think about the ones you downloaded an stuffed that folder with.

I actually use Obody alongside Touched by Dibella but as I pointed out my selection of body types amounts too, Skinny/Lean, Bodybuilder, and Bombshell.

CBA could have that plus little chubby women, thick women, and all sorts of kinds of bodies of women if you wanted randomly appearing dynamically in game even.

Getting a similar result in Oldrim?  I have no idea outside of the old "mesh and texture changer mod".

There are a lot of beast race mods but I only ever used the one that made Khajiits look like people.

Edited by Gameplayer

No matter what you do though which ever game,

Gotta decide on a Mod Manager, 

Mod Organizer 2, is about the best Manager you could want right now.

Your other mainstream option would be Vortex.

Honestly people will fight about which one is best and even people will bring up new managers I have never heard of.

Should be able to find help using MO or Vortex, the other managers you will be hard up getting help for.

MO is my preference its been dependable, isolates each mod, clear to understand the overwrites between each mod folder and can handle all the major tools.

FNIS and Nemesis are easy to use with MO.

Uninstalling a mod with MO is simple check mark and blam it is uninstalled since virtual folders.

Vortex still installs mods directly to the game drive.

MO is I think preferred manager for pre-fabbed mega load orders like Notalus (have not used that at this time, big set of mods).

I was using only Nexus Mod Manager. I tried Vortex and it was a mistake.

Well, speaking of body type, I had in mind very large body and buttocks. Like BBW. I am sure I have seen on Loverslab some screens. And it was for Oldrim.

When I was playing, Special Edition wasn't popular among people using mods. I suppose, now things have changed?

Do I understand  correctly, that SE is less  FPS draining and better for performance than Oldrim? I am not sure, that I have the best PC. But surely better than in the past.

11 minutes ago, Vorgo said:

I was using only Nexus Mod Manager. I tried Vortex and it was a mistake.

Well, speaking of body type, I had in mind very large body and buttocks. Like BBW. I am sure I have seen on Loverslab some screens. And it was for Oldrim.

When I was playing, Special Edition wasn't popular among people using mods. I suppose, now things have changed?

Do I understand  correctly, that SE is less  FPS draining and better for performance than Oldrim? I am not sure, that I have the best PC. But surely better than in the past.

Skyrim SE, out of the box is less crash prone.

I dont know if it runs better FPS?

Even my last PC was pretty good even if it was an old SR-2 platform.

Honestly I think it will be much easier to get modding on SE version of the game since a lot of people are still active for it.

A lot of mods have been converted over.  The mod community has been super active the whole time you have been away, I mean wow since 2015?

There are so many cool mods that have been made since then.  Already shared some of my favorites listed above, not sure they are on LE....

Come to think of it though the major reason I made the change over from LE was because Sky SA was not available on LE at the time and then a year later or so Modern Combat Overhaul came along oh wow what a combat overhaul mod.

Another favorite but its paywalled, Inquisitor Magic Behavior Overhaul

Basically entirely changes the animation system for mages, for the better I think.

15 hours ago, Gameplayer said:

Skyrim SE, out of the box is less crash prone.

I dont know if it runs better FPS?

Even my last PC was pretty good even if it was an old SR-2 platform.

Honestly I think it will be much easier to get modding on SE version of the game since a lot of people are still active for it.

A lot of mods have been converted over.  The mod community has been super active the whole time you have been away, I mean wow since 2015?

There are so many cool mods that have been made since then.  Already shared some of my favorites listed above, not sure they are on LE....

Come to think of it though the major reason I made the change over from LE was because Sky SA was not available on LE at the time and then a year later or so Modern Combat Overhaul came along oh wow what a combat overhaul mod.

Another favorite but its paywalled, Inquisitor Magic Behavior Overhaul

Basically entirely changes the animation system for mages, for the better I think.

Thank you very much for your knowledge. I think I will try it, but maybe first I will fast try to play LE and check, how it works. My PC isn't the mighties. I bought it 2 years ago, even though it was described as a "gaming PC", I had doubts.

Well, I have seen a milf big body few years ago and the gallery is still available. But I don't know which mods I should get for it. Check this out, if you want:

https://e-hentai.org/g/768904/d96098d1e0/?p=1

Edit: Well, I don't know what the body slide is and how to use it. Is it simple to learn?

Edited by Vorgo

What's the performance on the now superior SE ENBs? Was thinking on making to slow migration to SE. All of the screenshooters abandoned LE. 

How does that work anyway? I have the free SE upgrade, but can I just install it to a new drive and keep oldrim?

Edited by Ghoulz
On 1/25/2024 at 10:27 PM, Ghoulz said:

What's the performance on the now superior SE ENBs? Was thinking on making to slow migration to SE. All of the screenshooters abandoned LE. 

How does that work anyway? I have the free SE upgrade, but can I just install it to a new drive and keep oldrim?

Oldrim is technically a different game than Special Edition/AE

Pretty sure you can have both of them installed.

It would be best to have a fresh installation for SE/AE and of course get the mods fresh for the version number you intend to run with.

whichever version is chosen, 1) please ensure you download the right version of mods. 2) please install and test in batches. 3). please have an alternate start, so it's easy to do a new game to test as mods are loaded. 4). please don't delete mods without starting a new game.

the upgrades to AE allow for a lot more mods to be loaded.

the mod developers are also active on getting scripts recompiled, so there seems to be about a 1 week downtime until things are back up and running. All hail the people who do that task, often without thanks, especially after events like the invective thrown at the DAR developer after real life events meant that updating a mod wasn't their priority.