Where can I buy Skyrim pre-december update?

Hi. I'd like to buy Skyrim SE but I want to have downgraded version (before december patch that broke lots of mods). On SKSE64 website I can see that GOG version has older SKSE listed so it would seem that GOG offers older build of Skyrim. Is that true? Am I gonna be good with GOG version for older mods?

GOG has no DRM (in most cases). No DRM means different exe. Different exe means mods containing dlls that were made for the Steam version won't work.

Since Skyrim is a steamworks game (outside of GOG) it means regardless of where you buy a physical copy, it will always at the very least require you to install Steam. When Steam is installed, the (in your case) unwanted patches soon follow.

The downgrader mod on the Nexus is what most people use. Another alternative is downloading the manifests directly from Steam. Regardless of which path you choose, the era of owning games died 15 years ago. These days you have to fight for your titles, and protect them from constant attacks. While not a complicated task for someone versed in computers, everyone else is basically f***ed.

1 hour ago, traison said:

unwanted patches soon follow.

GOG claims rollback and disabling updates is possible hence I assumed it should be legit:

image.png.5638f1dcece4ef6cadc0cb7057c508bd.png

Are there any mods that use incompatible .dll's apart from new ones released after December update?

Edited by Lapsio
26 minutes ago, Lapsio said:

GOG claims rollback and disabling updates is possible hence I assumed it should be legit

Never said GOG would force updates. Steam does, GOG Galaxy might in the future.

and they did receive the 1.6.1170 update, they just won't force the update; that said the reason gog's skse hasn't been updated yet isn't because the game hasn't but because steam's skyrim and gog's skyrim now have the same version number which makes detecting the version of the game harder for old dlls, so the skse team, commonlib team and address library team are braintorming to solve this issue.
PS the downgrader won't work on gog's skyrim, the steam version needs dlls missing in gog's skyrim.

Edited by Shonen17000
56 minutes ago, Lapsio said:

GOG claims rollback and disabling updates is possible hence I assumed it should be legit:

You can get the offline installer and forget about automatic updates. You could edit a couple of Steam files and do the same honestly. Rollbacks are only available for the versions that were released in GOG (which is 1.6.659 and 1.6.1170 if I remember correctly, so before this Jan update there was nothing to rollback to really).

56 minutes ago, Lapsio said:

Are there any mods that use incompatible .dll's apart from new ones released after December update?

Any DLL will have to be compiled for a compatible SKSE version. Clib and Address Library can help mod authors to keep compatibility, but still this is something you must check for each mod with a DLL you want to use. There is no way to tell you exactly which mods are compatible or incompatible (you can check the SE compatibility tracking post for a comprehensive list, it still is an ongoing process).

Edited by Just Don't

Wow with oldrim I didn't even know how to check Skyrim version, everything simply worked. With SSE I ran into dll incompatibility and CTD in first 15 minutes of reinstalling my oldrim set of mods into SSE... excuse me wtf. When did that happen. I never had issues with old SKSE or F4SE before but SKSE64 slepped me in the face immediately lol. Since when it started to be such serious problem?...

44 minutes ago, Lapsio said:

Since when it started to be such serious problem?...

It has always been that way really. Script extenders must be compiled for every version of the executable. And the exe changes with every patch. LE only received updates between 2011-2013 so SKSE for LE was done by then and never changed. Skyrim SE receives more updates due to the CC thing where people who don't know better can waste additional money for low quality "official modded content".

If you follow recommended modding practices (aka never allow any program to make changes to the game files you're trying to mod without your express approval) you'll be fine. The problem is people don't know this and then act surprised when the programs do what they're set to do by default.