Was there a new stealth update for AE that just landed?

I noticed my 1.5.97 downgraded Skyrim hangs in Steam with a pending update. Last time that happened was when Beth pushed a stealth 1.6.1130 update in December so I had to downgrade the whole thing again at the time. Was there a similar update just now?

Edited by belegost
  • belegost changed the title to Was there a new stealth update for AE that just landed?
1 minute ago, cagedcookie said:

yes, ufortunately they released an update to fix the new creations menu, super annoying as i had just finished installing all my mods last night and was about to get playing today lol

I am wondering why the fuck they do not post the changes on Steam anymore. The last update news is about 1.6.640 from September 2022 and it still hangs there, as if nothing new happened. Super annoying.

9 minutes ago, belegost said:

I am wondering why the fuck they do not post the changes on Steam anymore. The last update news is about 1.6.640 from September 2022 and it still hangs there, as if nothing new happened. Super annoying.

I have a feeling I know what the response to a 1130 post would look like:

"Paid mods? Again? Are you guys stupid?"

"Bethesda breaking the game again. DO NOT UPDATE!"

Not saying that's any reason to not post. A responsible company would still post, and take in the response.

Anyhow, I'm gonna go grab some popcorn, this forum is about to get  🔥  🔥   LIT THE F UP 🔥 🔥  again.

Also, to be really annoying: I called it.

Furtunately i have Skyrim LE.

The bad thing (for me) is : many good mod for SE does not work on LE.

I had all "my" mod installed ready to play and then : 1130 came out.

Now slowly the mod's geting updated and what is coming : 1170  aw.

Edited by Shep67
11 hours ago, belegost said:

I noticed my 1.5.97 downgraded Skyrim hangs in Steam with a pending update. Last time that happened was when Beth pushed a stealth 1.6.1130 update in December so I had to downgrade the whole thing again at the time. Was there a similar update just now?

Instead of the timeconsuming upgrade/downgrade game, you could just set the steam control file to read-only and be done with it. Until you decide on your own to update: set back to read-write, let the update happen and set it back to read-only.

<Path-to-wherever-your-steam-is>/Steam/Steamapps/appmanifest_489830.acf 

(At least that is the control file for my Skyrim AE)

1 hour ago, worik said:

Instead of the timeconsuming upgrade/downgrade game, you could just set the steam control file to read-only and be done with it. Until you decide on your own to update: set back to read-write, let the update happen and set it back to read-only.

This is unfortunately not reliable. Some years ago Steam started deleting these files and creating new ones in cases where it failed to write to them directly. If you let it go online, Steam also keeps a copy of the new ACF contents in memory regardless of if it wrote it to disk or not.

Preventing updates in a reliable way these days is somewhat convoluted. I made a program to do this for me. Cancelling updates for a game that Steam is already aware of requires additional steps. Even more so if you weren't already protected when the update hit.

2 hours ago, worik said:

<Path-to-wherever-your-steam-is>/Steam/Steamapps/appmanifest_489830.acf 

(At least that is the control file for my Skyrim AE)

Tried it back when AE first landed. Doesn't work, the file gets replaced by a new one.

Same with setting it to update on launch only and starting via SKSE. Hangs on an update, and one misclick, or trying to run SKSE without starting Steam first, it starts patching. The only reliable way was downgrade patcher.

Edited by belegost
18 minutes ago, belegost said:

Tried it back when AE first landed. Doesn't work, the file gets replaced by a new one.

:classic_sad:  that’s bad. I wonder how that can happen if steam isn’t allowed to write into that file. That’s an unauthorized file-access from the POV of the operating system.

1 hour ago, worik said:

:classic_sad:  that’s bad. I wonder how that can happen if steam isn’t allowed to write into that file. That’s an unauthorized file-access from the POV of the operating system.

You'd think that yes, but create a new text file on your desktop, set it to read only and try to delete it. Prepare to be disappointed.

To prevent deletion of files you have to deny the Write permission on the directory that contains it, if I remember correctly. That would obviously prevent a few other things from happening as well.

Edit: Just checked source code. You need to deny both Write and Delete on the container (not the acf file).

Edited by traison
3 hours ago, worik said:

I wonder how that can happen if steam isn’t allowed to write into that file

Steam doesn't write into this file, it replaces it. This solution would work if Steam actually edited this file and tried to write new data to it, which it does not.