Will upgrading my CPU/GPU improve script loading?

I run a few script heavy mods (Namely SS2), so I am familiar with how scripts can chug.

Already used baka scrapheap and that does improve things. But it does chug from time to time.

So question is, is the script speed tied to the game engine or does upgrading my CPU/GPU improve it?

The main thing that improves F02 is an SSD, as the engine itself has limitations that brute force power will not overcome. The best example of this is active NPCs, which should not go above 128 in the basegame (think console is lower, at 64, might be wrong). Above this and they start to do screwy things. Why is this an issue? Well, Beth made Fallout quite dense, so it is possible to end up with overlapping settlement cells (Red Rocket/Abernathy and Sanctuary for example). In this case you can help your SS2 scripts alot, by limiting what you develop (ie, pick 1 settlement out of a cluster). Otherwise there are a few spots on the map where the game engine tries to load cells of several overlapping areas and boom, your scripts get messed up and your save dies.

So you can actively help your game by being careful.

3 hours ago, DasKebab said:

I run a few script heavy mods (Namely SS2), so I am familiar with how scripts can chug.

Already used baka scrapheap and that does improve things. But it does chug from time to time.

So question is, is the script speed tied to the game engine or does upgrading my CPU/GPU improve it?

Most of Fo4's heavy calculations are on the CPU. Godrays, shadows, a lot of effects are all done on CPU vs. GPU. This is why people with overclocked 4070's on 16 core CPU's can still get 40fps on all settings ultra. This is because of two reasons: Fo4 does not employ all the CPU cores and its physics engine is tied to the FPS. The only thing that new rig bought me for Fo4 was the ability to run any sweetfx/enb I want without any price cost in FPS, because that IS run on the GPU.

Long story short, fo4 has an unoptimized piece of garbage engine which miraculously manages to produce a very engaging game. On top of that many modders don't really know about the real limits of the engine so mistakes are made in scripting, memory management, save game management and level optimization, etc... TBT 'vanilla' fo4 without mods is really stable. But mod choice is everything, and for SS2 the tips above about building up in clusters is the right way to go. Limit the settlements to a few specific ones, spread far apart from each other.

Weirdly enough, Fo4 runs better on my core I5 than it does on my core I7. Even load times are longer on my new rig, even though the new one has M2 and the old one 'mere SSD'. This is because the individual threads of my 16 cores are actually a few mhz lower than my 4 core I5 threads. If you DO want to go for the upgrade path, specifically to get better performance in Fo4, then certainly 'newer is NOT always better'.

If I wanted to make 'the perfect' fo4 machine right now, it would be a machine from 4-5 years ago with a 1080ti inside. 4 cores in the CPU and high MHZ. The higher the mhz, the better fo4 runs. Core speed is the key, not core count.

Edited by Reginald_001

If I wanted to make 'the perfect' fo4 machine right now, it would be a machine from 4-5 years ago with a 1080ti inside. 4 cores in the CPU and high MHZ. The higher the mhz, the better fo4 runs. Core speed is the key, not core count.

Huh, that explains something. I had an i7 3770k and it ran Fo4 better than my current rig. That old chip was a beast.