Star Citizen shows Bethesda how space should be done.

On 12/4/2023 at 3:25 PM, Kraven12 said:

Not gonna lie, I do not like many MMO's after my time in EVE Online, however seeing this kinda making me change my mind. And this is how you sell an space game to the masses.

Great, just remove multiplayer and release a full set of modding tools and I'll throw my money at you.

lets see

1 critics of  starfield complan of the zombie looking nps.

2 they companin on the hamster wheel like story.

3 they forget on the side story events of all fallout games or elderscrolls games ( vaults )= etc google the city of pitesti in rumania for example,

did all of you buy starfield. cause you thinkey you get a standard easy to use shooter game?

damn fitting for our time.....

so whats the positive on a pesimistic person????

you can simply and only surpirised positivly!!!!!!!

Edited by Ijakor2
On 12/5/2023 at 8:44 PM, hitmanh said:

Great, just remove multiplayer and release a full set of modding tools and I'll throw my money at you.

I dunno. I looked at SC during the build up for Starfield, but decided against when I found that they were selling in-game ships for real world money. As a "starter pack".

But yeah, if I was inclined to throw money at the game, those would definitely be show-stoppers.

Edited by DocClox
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Star Citizen looks very impressive but they also can't seem to finish it. They showed off server meshing last year which was pretty dope but you're pretty much directionless in the game and you have to buy all the cool ships on top of buying the game which is still officially incomplete. Both Star Citizen and Starfield suffered from massive scope creep but at least the latter is a finished game underneath all the bullshit and problems, it has a direction. Star Citizen makes a shit load of money, i think the team realized they don't have to actually complete the game atp. And i can build custom ships in Starfield so that's an auto W over Star Citizen as far as i'm concerned like straight up. Plus official mod tools will be the game changer, literally.

On 12/6/2023 at 10:09 AM, DocClox said:

I dunno. I looked at SC during the build up for Starfield, but decided against when I found that they were selling in-game ships for real world money. As a "starter pack".

You got that a bit wrong. A "starter pack" is your basic game access. It's all you ever need to play Star Citizen. All "packs" (starter and otherwise) come with game access + at least one ship, as opposed to "standalone ships" which do not grant game access and contain only the ship, so you only purchase those if you already have the game and just want more. 

Which you don't have to, at all: All ships sold for real money, with the exception of a handful of "hull limited" ships (usually bigass capital ships that aren't even in the game yet) can be purchased for ingame cash.  

In a way it's no different than Starfield: Your starfield game package comes with the "Frontier" ship, whereas in SC you can purchase different starter packs coming with allrounders, fighters, explorers, light freighters, so you get to play what interests you most instead of being stuck with a throwaway ship you'll get rid of as quick as possible.

7 hours ago, snoopy102 said:

All "packs" (starter and otherwise) come with game access + at least one ship,

I don't know. I saw three prices for the game, each expensive, each with a different starter ship; the more expensive the pack, the better the ship.

I mean I'm sure you're right about the "packs" and the ships that come with them, but does it not seem just a bit  "pay to win", to you? A bit of a red flag, that.

7 hours ago, snoopy102 said:

In a way it's no different than Starfield: Your starfield game package comes with the "Frontier" ship, whereas in SC you can purchase different starter packs coming with allrounders, fighters, explorers, light freighters, so you get to play what interests you most instead of being stuck with a throwaway ship you'll get rid of as quick as possible.

Well, when Bethesda start selling imaginary starships for real world money, then I guess you can tell me "I told you so".

To me "pay to win" is when you can purchase something for RL currency that you can't with ingame money, that's not the case in Star Citizen - pretty much every ship can be purchased ingame, so at best you can save yourself some grind. Whether or not that's a good thing depends on the player entirely: Me, I abhorr grind. I don't want to play stuff I don't want to do just in order to make money and get to the point that I actually want to play. For others, grinding towards something is half the fun already. So I am actually quiet happy that you do have both options.

I also have a buttload of premium tanks in "World of tanks" - that is what I would call pay to win since those tanks are often better than the regular tech tree tanks at the same level. There is no such thing in SC, the ships are the same whether you purchase them for RL or ingame cash.