Squares at subtitles instead of Letters...

Hi,

I installed SE.

I play SE in English.

I get these square/blank letters at subtitles from time to time.

I tried several fonts. Several solutions. But, they didn't worked.

Here is the screenshot about these squared blank letters:

20231127073454_1.jpg.195d38aef1ce6893eab1c1195efe7e27.jpg

What can I do to avoid this problem?

Do you have any suggestion?

If you can help me anyway, I'll appreciate.

Thank you in advance..

Testing different fonts was a good idea because that's basically what it is: bytes the current font does not have symbols for. Typically you see this which chinese, cyrillic (etc.) mods running on a latin game version. Solutions include: testing different fonts and translating the source mod. Also, just because xEdit can render it, does not mean the game can.

7 hours ago, traison said:

Testing different fonts was a good idea because that's basically what it is: bytes the current font does not have symbols for. Typically you see this which chinese, cyrillic (etc.) mods running on a latin game version. Solutions include: testing different fonts and translating the source mod. Also, just because xEdit can render it, does not mean the game can.

Testing different fonts is OK.

In LE, I found a very nice font. Magic Cards.

I found its SE version too.

I installed it. I still get rectangular blank texts/subtitles.

I installed a mod named, I don't remember the exact name, but I think, the name was "Font Overhaul", it was really, really bad. I got the same problem.

Maybe, there is an update/fix about it.

Cheers...

I gave up.

I checked all forums and tutorials and settings.

I cleaned up the "Interface" folder.

I tried "verify integrity of tools files".

I tried to find any mods that can cause this problem.

It happens from the beginning.

I checked "Skyrim.ini".

Language settings that also control the subtitle says:

[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH

I tried different fonts.

Same thing.

I don't know what else to do.

I'll just ignore the subtitles.

:(

traison,

Thank you.

You tried to help me as much as you could.

However, I'm a dummy. I don't understand.

Maybe, I can solve that problem in five years. Who knows?

:D

It seems you missed one of the potential solutions though: Translate the source mod. Even if you're not an experienced modder, it does not take much skill to go through all records in a mod using xEdit and copy-pasting any foreign text into Google translate.

3 hours ago, traison said:

It seems you missed one of the potential solutions though: Translate the source mod. Even if you're not an experienced modder, it does not take much skill to go through all records in a mod using xEdit and copy-pasting any foreign text into Google translate.

I don't have any foreign texted mod.

All of them are English.

Skyrim SE, SexLab, SOS, SexLab based mods, mods that are good for SE are English.

I use Windows 10 English US. My keyboard is American.

So, I don't understand what you meant while you said "translate the source mod". I don't have any foreign text in any mods, in any parts of Skyrim SE.

I just reinstalled the game.

I cleaned the main files.

I just installed:

Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch 1.5.97.0.8

SKSE for 1.5.97

RaceMenu

Alternate Start - Live Another Life - SSE 4.2.0

My skyrim.ini has:

[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH
sTestFile1=Dawnguard.esm
sTestFile2=HearthFires.esm
sTestFile3=Dragonborn.esm

In Steam, SSE's Properties settings, Language setting set to English.

I still have the same bug.

I reinstalled the game. Then, I had the same problem.

I just had Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch, Race Menu. and Alternate Start - Live Another Life - SSE.

I got the same problem.

I used USSEP that I found, named "Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch 1.5.97.0.8.rar - 376.20 MB".

I haven't checked the next reply before:

"USSEP in your link is version with russian localisation and will mess up if a game have different localisation, and the link above IS ACTUALLY CORRECT".

However, the original "Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch - USSEP v4.2.5b - for SE 1.5.97" is at this link:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/266?tab=files&file_id=209150

And, the size of that file is only 149 MB.

When I used the USSEP v4.2.5b, I didn't get the squared/blank subtitles (at least until now.).

Finally, the problem was not about my SE, or the mods that I've been using, or the settings that I did.

It was because of that USSEP 1.5.97.0.8 version that was Russian. I didn't know/notice that.

Edited by nehaberlan
1 hour ago, traison said:

Oh the archived version of 4.2.5b is back? You used to not be able to download that because it was deleted or whatever. LL and me used to be the only reliable places to get it (that I knew of).

No, it doesn't come back.

It's still in the archive.

By the way, the BerithSama's problem was exactly the same problem that I had. The wrong USSEP in another language version.

In my opinion, it would great if Arthmoor, who is the author of USSEP, adds Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch - USSEP v4.2.5b - for SE 1.5.97 in the "Old Files" part.

Because, this USSEP v.4.2.5b is the only version that is compatible with SE 1.5.97.

The newer version of USSEP is compatible only with AE.

2 hours ago, nehaberlan said:

No, it doesn't come back.

It's still in the archive.

My point is it used to be completely gone, there was no archived version either. When it first disappeared from the Nexus, I was still able to get it using the Nexus API. This worked for a while, then they patched that out, making it completely unavailable. This was around the time when they were setting up Collections; which I thought was hilarious because the foundation of Collections required that old mods were available. The entire mass-exodus from the Nexus at the time was because mods couldn't be deleted, yet there we were trying to find one of the most important mods, which had just been (seemingly permanently) deleted.

I have a rule to never delete the files I download so it never bothered me personally, I was just trying to get links for other people. Had to eventually start distributing it from my own archives when it became a rare file.

Edit: It is possible the Nexus API would have allowed the download had I paid for Collections.

Edited by traison