Goodbye Thanksgiving

In the mad rush of getting food prepped for Thanksgiving, I thought I would share an event that happened which seemed catastrophic...but ended well.

Recipe for 700 degree green smoked beans:

1. Place green beans in cast iron dutch oven.

2. Place cut, sliced bacon prodigiously into cast iron dutch oven.

3. Cover contents with water.

4. Season as desired or just get Margaret Holmes Seasoned Flat Italian green beans as I do. She has forgotten more about seasoning green beans than we will ever know.

5. Build fire in smoker to a point where you have good coals. Bring temp to 225 degrees.

6. Place dutch oven in smoker for about 5hrs.

7. At the 6hr mark, carelessly leave fire door open when you pull turkeys off allowing smoker to draw in air like a turbo charger.

8. Two hours later when your family shows up to eat, absent mindedly remember the beans and proceed to retrieve.

9. As you walk to smoker, keenly observe the open door and realize your beans are likely ash at this point. Retrieve anyway as you glance at thermometer pegged on 700 degrees and the hair on your arms is sacrificed to Krakatoa.

10. Remove the dutch oven lid and be astonished that the beans somehow survived. The bacon will be vaporized and become one with the beans. Add a little water to beans...well a lot of water since there is none in the pot. Stand clear of the steam released by addition of water.

10. Taste the beans and marvel at your creativity as they are the best beans you will ever eat. 

11. Act like it was your plan all along and be thankful for the pride and dedication the craftsmen at Lodge Cast Iron puts into their products.