How bad is this when loading mods ??

D_ManXX2

I was wondering what the effect could be when you make load order with mods but still have a few of them disabled in the load order. wreybash will turn this to .ghost files when you load up skyrim will skyrim still load up the esp and .bsa files containing them or can they still be safely left over for when you want to try different load order and activate them then ??

Don't know for Skyrim, but in FO:NV it was recommended to not have unticked ESPs in your load order, so i turned them into ghost files, as users reported, that unticked ESPs was loaded in some cases. Never ran into something like this myself, but better safe then sorry.
i disabled ESPs sometimes in Skyrim and the game always showed the "missing plugin" when loading a save game, so i guess it's save.

But what you should try to avoid is cluttering the data folder with unneeded files like readmes and other stuff. The data folder itself should only contain ESPs, ESMs and BSAs, as i'm sure, Skyrim still crawls thru all files in the data folder, sorting things out.
So i still recommend MO, as you can disable a mod and this way taking the plugin and all assets out of the game. Very nice, especially for error tracking.

They are output files from Archive.EXE, a tool from the CK, that builds the BSAs. They might be of use for modders, as those files contain infos like directory structures and such.
Sould be safe to delete them... well, i always do, but i'm not 100% sure if it's 100% safe to get rid of them.
As they are part of Beths file system, i wouldn't consider them clutter, so i leave that up to you, if you delete them or not.
Maybe one of the more experienced modder here on LL, can make a better statement about those files.

There's a limit the the max entries in the load order itself? Now that's new to me. Thanks for the info.

i appreciate MO more and more, with every single info of this kind, that i get. What a darn solid mod manager. :)

I think the limit is like 225+ something esps/esm and like 400 total bsa/esps/esms, that was in Oblivion ,so i could be wrong.

You can always use the Hide function of Wrye Bash, Warning! :for your Innactive mods!! not the active ones!,  he puts the selected esps/esms in a different folder so Skyrim won't see them.

Many mods use the .bsls , like unofficial skyrim patch etc. so yah leave them as they are. I think they don't count for limit anyways.

Archived