Custom Ship Modules

Gonna be honest, one of the big things that I am looking forward to with mods is custom ship modules.  I mean, the ones we have are neat and all, but can you imagine having something like the astrometrics lab from Star Trek Voyager?  Hell, even having a ship module dedicated to scanning planets would be great.  For you guys on the adult side of things, having a module for an NPC like Inara from Firefly would be cool too.  Not that she was a mobile prostitute, but you could basically have that.  A module on your ship that allows you to hire sex worker NPCs to make passive cash with each planet you go to.  Hell, even if we don't get new modules like that I would love to see existing modules actually contribute something.  Having a cargo hab module could increase the storage capacity of all attached cargo modules by 5 to 10%.  That way you would actually have a reason to attach them on other than for looks.

49 minutes ago, ElsissSurana said:

having a module for an NPC like Inara from Firefly would be cool too. 

Yes, I Second that request!

50 minutes ago, ElsissSurana said:

Not that she was a mobile prostitute,

That is exactly what she was, although she was Expensive and she earned the Right To choose her Clientele, and she was always Choosy and Discrete. That's what I liked about her.  Forthcoming to everyone But Mal.  

Inara02.webp.5b053dc3c2f94a0a37b64628d72ee64c.webp

44 minutes ago, Sir Bron said:

Ja, ich schließe mich dieser Bitte an!

Genau das war sie, obwohl sie teuer war und sich das Recht verdiente, ihre Kundschaft selbst zu wählen, und sie war immer wählerisch und diskret. Das hat mir an ihr gefallen. Offenbar für alle außer Mal. 

Inara02.webp.5b053dc3c2f94a0a37b64628d72ee64c.webp

But the whole thing only works if you make some DEEP changes to the game mechanics.

For one thing, you can't run a brothel at a spaceport - because that's what the ship is through such a module. Topic security controls

Secondly, Madame Inara has practised her trade on planets without such spaceport installations as New-Atlantis or Neon.

Such settlements do not actually exist in the world of StarField ... apart from 2-3 exceptions.

"Civilian outposts" which would be the potential target group here ... are also very rare

And it is exactly here that the mechanics for generating planets and moons - the part that is responsible for the ground facilities - must be massively changed.

Otherwise you have a great module - but which is ultimately a pure show event ... which would be a total shame in my eyes.

Just as a hint:

I am very much in favour of such individual modules - but they are of no use if other things in the game are not fundamentally changed!

---

Of course, another approach would also be possible:

The module in question is purely a separate living space for a noble courtesan - who, after landing, visits her "clients" in their chosen location (such as hotels).

In the end, besides "New Atlantis", "Akila" and Neon - only a few settlements like Jamestown (Titan) or Gagarin come into question ... so a maximum of 10.

I exclude the holiday planet "Paradiso" for the time being ... they run their own Bodell service ... so here would be the starting point for a quest - to give our noble Kurtisane professional access to this world.

Edited by Miauzi
1 hour ago, Miauzi said:

But the whole thing only works if you make some DEEP changes to the game mechanics.

For one thing, you can't run a brothel at a spaceport - because that's what the ship is through such a module. Topic security controls

Secondly, Madame Inara has practised her trade on planets without such spaceport installations as New-Atlantis or Neon.

Such settlements do not actually exist in the world of StarField ... apart from 2-3 exceptions.

"Civilian outposts" which would be the potential target group here ... are also very rare

And it is exactly here that the mechanics for generating planets and moons - the part that is responsible for the ground facilities - must be massively changed.

Otherwise you have a great module - but which is ultimately a pure show event ... which would be a total shame in my eyes.

Just as a hint:

I am very much in favour of such individual modules - but they are of no use if other things in the game are not fundamentally changed!

---

Of course, another approach would also be possible:

The module in question is purely a separate living space for a noble courtesan - who, after landing, visits her "clients" in their chosen location (such as hotels).

In the end, besides "New Atlantis", "Akila" and Neon - only a few settlements like Jamestown (Titan) or Gagarin come into question ... so a maximum of 10.

I exclude the holiday planet "Paradiso" for the time being ... they run their own Bodell service ... so here would be the starting point for a quest - to give our noble Kurtisane professional access to this world.

You have a valid point.

Also the Firefly had two shuttles, one of which was Inara's space to Live, work, Meditate, and escape Mal's presence and judgement.

After reaching an orbit she would often fly to her destination while the Firefly would go on to another planet, system, and accomplish their task then return to allow her to dock before moving on.

Vor 7 Minuten sagte Sir Bron:

Sie haben einen berechtigten Punkt.

Außerdem verfügte die Firefly über zwei Shuttles, von denen eines Inaras Raum zum Leben, Arbeiten, Meditieren und zum Entkommen von Mals Anwesenheit und Urteilsvermögen war.

Nachdem sie eine Umlaufbahn erreicht hatte, flog sie oft zu ihrem Ziel, während die Firefly zu einem anderen Planeten oder System weiterflog, ihre Aufgabe erfüllte und dann zurückkehrte, um ihr das Andocken zu ermöglichen, bevor sie weiterflog.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I have only seen a few episodes of this series - but many of the actors are later seen in other series ... not only in SF.

3 minutes ago, Miauzi said:

Unfortunately I have only seen a few episodes of this series

Firefly, the Series and Serenity which was the movie follow-up I have DVD's of, they are available to Stream.   Serenity has some interesting Baddies, No spoilers from me though!

Highly recommend them from the beginning, wish they had not been canceled so early.  :unamused:

Edited by Sir Bron

I want stairs modules! Like standalone versions and variations of the stairs part of the 2 level cockpit. And I would also like to have someone adapt equipment mounts to also be useable as ladder blockers between habs, allowing attachments but filling the ladder "opening".

2 hours ago, Vuulgar said:

I want stairs modules! Like standalone versions and variations of the stairs part of the 2 level cockpit. And I would also like to have someone adapt equipment mounts to also be useable as ladder blockers between habs, allowing attachments but filling the ladder "opening".

Hell, I'll take the ability to simply add some kind of plate that prevents doors and ladders from forming in certain places.  It would be a bitch to cover up all the potential connection points to leave one or two paths, but at least we could direct the connections as we wanted.

1 hour ago, ElsissSurana said:

Hell, I'll take the ability to simply add some kind of plate that prevents doors and ladders from forming in certain places.  It would be a bitch to cover up all the potential connection points to leave one or two paths, but at least we could direct the connections as we wanted.

I second this. that would be a fantastic addition

Taking ship expansion into a whole new direction, who else would go all-in on H.R.Giger biomechanical ship parts?  Imagine a ship made entirely of dark, foreboding tunnels, webbed support structures, low and hollow rumbles replacing the hum of computers and engines, and a cockpit modeled faithfully after the infamous Space Jockey?

Space-jockey-enclosure_134142.webp

Edited by VenomousOuroboros
bigger image

You could certainly repurpose some of the meshes from the Entangled levels to this end. Some of them are only a tentacle-bound stripper away from being in Duke Nukem 3D. We can probably do great things mashing up some of the creature textures and meshes as well.

You know what I'd like? I'd like to set up the builder so all the habs were sealed units by default. Then, if you wanted to join two of them you'd have to add a portal to the node where you wanted the door or ladder to be. Then, internally, I want to be able to decorate with the Outpost editor.

We can sort of do the outpost thing now - there's a mod on Nexus, but when you change the paint on the ship exterior, all the placed stuff gets junked again. We'd need some mechanism so that, at the very least, it all got stored in a warehouse somewhere so we could put it all back. Better would be to only store stuff in habs where they layout had changed ... which might be easier if we can control which  walls have holes in them, rather than having the builder make its best guess.

Of course, none of that is going to happen any time soon, even with a CK and SFSE support. Still, it's worth bearing in mind.

11 hours ago, ElsissSurana said:

Yeah, thats what I mean as an added use to equipment plates. If the block of other attachments over the plate can be removed it may work as is but I have no clue how or even if its possible without mod tools.

Just now, ElsissSurana said:

The other thing I really want to see is a luxury Captains cabin with a proper double wide bed.

Tricky to fit in a 2x1 hab. Unless you make the matress fill one end of the hab, wall to wall. Would need to be an end unit if so.

Either that or have 2x2 stateroom, of course.