AMD R9 290X high end card soon be released.

Guest carywinton

My cost on the R9-290X 3GB GDDR5 cards is right around $300. This is below my cost on the Nvidia GTX 660 Ti., which is about $30 higher, not much of a difference, but worth noting.

My cost on the R9-290X 3GB GDDR5 cards is right around $300. This is below my cost on the Nvidia GTX 660 Ti., which is about $30 higher, not much of a difference, but worth noting.

Maybe you're thinking of the 280X?   290X is ~$549 and competes against 780 and Titan, and doesn't come with less than 4GB.  

Guest carywinton

Maybe you're thinking of the 280X?   290X is ~$549 and competes against 780 and Titan, and doesn't come with less than 4GB.  

Yep my bad it's the 280.

On all importend benchmark sites AMD 290x is equally or beats(firestrike benchmark one of main importend ones these days) titan.

So fastest single GPU on markte but almost half the price of a geforce gtx titan.

I know its one off hottest and louder then titan but i got a good gaming rig that cools very well so np there and i use headphones so noise np.

Well soon my pc runs with AMD 290x seems no brainer to me around 500 euro's buying fastest card.

Tom's Hardware:

In the spirit of getting massive performance at a substantial discount, then, I’m giving AMD’s Radeon R9 290X Tom’s Hardware’s Elite award—the first time a graphics card has received this honor, I believe, during my tenure. The decision was controversial. Nvidia still does thermals, acoustics, and aesthetics better. But now it’s also charging a hefty premium for those luxuries. AMD’s card is faster, cheaper, and it makes an effort to keep acoustics under control, so long as you stick with its Quiet mode. AMD reworked its approach to CrossFire and now has a more elegant solution that, while not perfect (we still measured dropped and runt frames in Skyrim, along with notable variance in other titles), does facilitate frame pacing right out of the gate at resolutions all the way up to 7680x1440. I’ll get more enthusiastic about the R9 290X if third-party designs start showing up with better cooling. Until then, it’d be downright negligent to not recognize this card’s class-leading performance at a price we paid for Radeon HD 7970 two years ago.

Most importend sites like guru3d-anandtech also show this card is faster and alot cheaper then nvidia's cards.

When I was building personal PCs for myself, for both gaming and 3d animation and rendering, focusing on AMD/ATI paring of MB to all other hardware, I always DL'ed and used Omega drivers for the ATI cards, which always had more options to adjust than the 'stock' drivers for that card. I like options that allow me to make further adjustments to performance, not necessarily speed or OCing.

Omega went away for a while, due to the recession I feel but I just noticed that it looks like they are back at it. http://www.omegadrivers.net/

When I get back home to my PC I plan on taking a deeper look at what Omega drivers do vs. the AMD/ATI ones , if there are now ones for my current card, O/S, etc.

For me it's not about 'dick waving' or bragging rights. I have a budget to work within and I try to look for the best balance of value, performance and cost, to run and work with the applications I use. And 3d animation and rendering really taxes a total system, not just the vidcard.

Yup, I went from 1GB VRAM to the 4GB 290x, and I can honestly say that my game is more stable.  I've gotten no CTDs, and I'm able to crank up K ENB to its highest preset, and turned on all those 2048K texture packs I had disabled for my measly 1GB VRAM.

Uhh...  Skyrim looks really good on this thing.

AMD 290x beats several WORLD RECORDS with firestrike future 3dmark and many more.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2441979_smoke_3dmark_vantage___performance_4x_radeon_r9_290x_96500_marks

P.S Card is not yet in shops how you get one already?

^

Those were official reference cards from AMD that the competitors used in breaking the record (more likely lent by AMD). Within two or three weeks the cards should be available on the market.

Yesterday (24th) was the hard launch.  Newegg had several brands in stock, but mostly Sapphires.

Mostly sold out now, but they pop up from time to time there and at Tigerdirect.  They are available now!

I was camping out at midnight Eastern on Wednesday night and grabbed one right away.  The Sapphires were sold out by morning, but the XFX came up briefly this afternoon before they were snatched up as well.

AMD 290x beats several WORLD RECORDS with firestrike future 3dmark and many more.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2441979_smoke_3dmark_vantage___performance_4x_radeon_r9_290x_96500_marks

P.S Card is not yet in shops how you get one already?

^

Those were official reference cards from AMD that the competitors used in breaking the record (more likely lent by AMD). Within two or three weeks the cards should be available on the market.

Yesterday (24th) was the hard launch.  Newegg had several brands in stock, but mostly Sapphires.

Mostly sold out now, but they pop up from time to time there and at Tigerdirect.  They are available now!

I was camping out at midnight Eastern on Wednesday night and grabbed one right away.  The Sapphires were sold out by morning, but the XFX came up briefly this afternoon before they were snatched up as well.

This morning I read about the recent price slashes, and all the sudden the late-model mid-range cards are now easy to get.

Its at 470 euros here without BF4 with 509 euro not bad.

P.S And to those that think i made this topic to wave with.. your mistaken i just showed that this card is released for a very nice price and what its capable off, nobody force anybody to buy it or not. If your happy with your nvidia fine by me and wish you great gaming times with nvidia.

And its hardly epeening while ive not made this card i just buy it and hope my skyrim runs better and future games for a very nice price.

Hopefully we'll see the AMD punt out something big with it's CPUs. What I'd like to see, is a hardware-level abstraction layer which sends CPU instructions to the GPU; that way, even if the CPU ain't that great, you can get superb performance. Probably would only work for certain instructions and whatnot.

• 4 weeks later...

Some interesting news here look at this.

290 becomes 290x...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1791547%22%20rel=%22nofollow

http://www.overclock.net/t/1442692/vc-powercolor-radeon-r9-290-unlocked-into-r9-290x/230

Only attemp at your own risk if you can afford losing your 400 euro card in the process becouse its risky.

Ive not made a new thread becouse its only for pure enthusiast who wanne take a risk with VIDEOCARD BIOSFLASH

Or just use the betas. That's probably the accepted way to go since most of the WHQL are pretty much based on the older betas.

I just need to know if they're stable now. I used one before, 13.9 beta for the HD4670, before I upgraded.

I think the HD 4X00 series isn't support with the newer betas. Probably just stick with that Beta since there isn't any official support for the HD 4X00 series now.

• 2 weeks later...

Just pop in to say I almost never had troubles with drivers from ATI since series 4xxx, I owned since a 5770, a 6850 and a 7850 with no troubles with drivers.

Not saying that ATI cards are better than nVidia, just saying these cards did not gave me any trouble whatsoever, its true that at some point ATI cards struggled with drivers, its also true that some nVidia cards did.

I can make the same searches for nvidia custom drivers and end up with more than 5 000 000 results while nvidia opengl problems shows 2 000 000+ results, does that mean drivers from nVidia are bad and / or they can't handle OpenGL properly?

Can't trust the internet, make your own opinion and stick with the brands you trust :)

Archived