Uneven Adulthood

Uneven Adulthood is a mod that changes the age parameters in Crusader Kings III. It adjusts the standard adulthood age from the base game's universal 16 years to a more historically reflective 14 years for males and 12 years for females. Early marriages among the nobility, including rulers, heirs, and their children, weren't the norm but did occasionally happen, and this mod could capture those rare instances and add a layer of realism.

For your convenience, this mod should mesh well with any other mods that don't override the following files:
• birthday.txt
• childhood_on_actions.txt
• 00_traits.txt
• court_maintenance_events.txt
• events\education_and_childhood

Alternatively, you could simply place this mod at the bottom of your load order.

Based on Younger Marriages for CK3 by AnyThoughts. Created for 1.9.1 version of Crusader Kings III.

(Workshop ID is 2989158810 if you'd like the thumbnail on your launcher.)

Edited by deepsheet

Nothing major for now. The 'bug' (is it a bug?) I've encountered is that you can't change child's education focus past age 6.

Edit: Started another game, the issue I mentioned with choosing education focuses strangely is not present. :/ [I've not messed with the mods, nothing.] Scratch that, I forgot I removed family romance mod. So something presumably went awry.

Edited by AngerMan
1 hour ago, Grimmdal said:

Does this mod mess with the adulthood trait at 16 ?

Do the boys get a fullbeard with 14 when they are considered adult ?

Haven't encountered problems with that yet. Playing with Nords and daughters can get shieldmaiden when finishing education, beards grow around 18 as in vanilla, etc.

Edited by AngerMan
12 hours ago, AngerMan said:

Nothing major for now. The 'bug' (is it a bug?) I've encountered is that you can't change child's education focus past age 6.

Edit: Started another game, the issue I mentioned with choosing education focuses strangely is not present. :/ [I've not messed with the mods, nothing.] Scratch that, I forgot I removed family romance mod. So something presumably went awry.

Education focus locks at age 6, which should not be as vanilla does not lock the auto assign education focus, it only locks the player assigned education focus. I'll fix this once I have the time.

11 hours ago, yoyoman69 said:

You don't have to copy the entire files. On_actions and traits can be stripped down to only those parts you changed. Just make sure to rename the files.

Already tried it before submitting this mod, it doesn't work well. It fires multiple trait events at the same time.

I don't know if this is a general bug but in my game children won't get an education trait when reaching adulthood. They lose their childhood trait but don't gain an education trait. Also their lifestyle focus will stay on education focuses instead of changing to lifestyle focuses.

Edit: It seems that the problem only occurs with female children.

Edited by PlayingOneHanded

Been liking this mod a lot, it just feels more realistic to marry your kids off earlier or have your sons be knights earlier. Only two issues I've come across so far was the education locking at 6, but this was fixed in the recent patch and can confirm it's working fine now. But another bug I just came across for the first time, mostly because it's been a while since my leader died early and a kid took over, but the "Meet Peers" activity doesn't seem to be available for kids. My daughter took over at age 5, and I could be wrong but I believe "Meet Peers" is usually available starting at 4, but just to be sure I waited until she was 6 before posting this, and even at 6 it's still not an option, like it's not even in the list of activities at all. I know it's kind of a niche issue as it's not often you have to rule as a child, but meet peers is a good way to get some free skills, so it would be great if you could figure out how to add it back in as an option. Thanks!

On 6/17/2023 at 3:10 AM, PlayingOneHanded said:

I don't know if this is a general bug but in my game children won't get an education trait when reaching adulthood. They lose their childhood trait but don't gain an education trait. Also their lifestyle focus will stay on education focuses instead of changing to lifestyle focuses.

Edit: It seems that the problem only occurs with female children.

Can't seem to replicate this. There could be compatibility issues from your other mods.

11 hours ago, Vicerex said:

Been liking this mod a lot, it just feels more realistic to marry your kids off earlier or have your sons be knights earlier. Only two issues I've come across so far was the education locking at 6, but this was fixed in the recent patch and can confirm it's working fine now. But another bug I just came across for the first time, mostly because it's been a while since my leader died early and a kid took over, but the "Meet Peers" activity doesn't seem to be available for kids. My daughter took over at age 5, and I could be wrong but I believe "Meet Peers" is usually available starting at 4, but just to be sure I waited until she was 6 before posting this, and even at 6 it's still not an option, like it's not even in the list of activities at all. I know it's kind of a niche issue as it's not often you have to rule as a child, but meet peers is a good way to get some free skills, so it would be great if you could figure out how to add it back in as an option. Thanks!

If you are count-tier and independent, from what I saw on the code of the vanilla meet peers (playdate) is that it requires the child ruler to be non-independent ruler and duke or above, for it to be shown. This is not really related to my mod. But also not sure when did this become one of the requirements of playdate activity as well.

(Screens are from vanilla, no mods)
Independent:

Independent.thumb.png.a562eef3324f5465e5e8a71a868937e3.png

Not:

Not.thumb.png.9f5533a03943046d95e906c5463d71ac.png

Screenshot 2023-06-19 112934.png

Edited by deepsheet
10 hours ago, deepsheet said:

If you are count-tier and independent, from what I saw on the code of the vanilla meet peers (playdate) is that it requires the child ruler to be non-independent ruler and duke or above, for it to be shown. This is not really related to my mod. But also not sure when did this become one of the requirements of playdate activity as well.

Interesting...Yes I was Count and independent. I guess I've never noticed it before because I almost always start out under a liege. Definitely not an issue with your mod then, but kind of a weird new rule for Paradox to implement, I suppose it's because as an independent count you're unlikely to have other kids that will join your meet peers? But still you'd think it would be an option even if no one shows up.

Does the age of marriage in the game files change anything? Seems like characters always get married at whatever the adult age is set to and not marriage age. Would you know a way to make characters marry at an age older than the adult age?

On 6/24/2023 at 12:00 PM, muxwell said:

Does the age of marriage in the game files change anything? Seems like characters always get married at whatever the adult age is set to and not marriage age. Would you know a way to make characters marry at an age older than the adult age?

If you're talking about defines.txt, AFAIK, that parameter is completely useless.

On 6/16/2023 at 8:24 AM, deepsheet said:

Already tried it before submitting this mod, it doesn't work well. It fires multiple trait events at the same time.

That's strange because Younger Marriages does exactly that. I know that not copying events entirely can mess them up since you're using the same namespace, but on_actions and traits can be left out, 100%. The way it's done now is just highly incompatible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How do I change the mothers birth mortality rate in your mod?

It appears that your mod allows for younger marriages but makes it nearly impossible to successfully procreate if the wife is under an age that I'm not yet aware of. 16 perhaps?

3 hours ago, Winded1 said:

How do I change the mothers birth mortality rate in your mod?

It appears that your mod allows for younger marriages but makes it nearly impossible to successfully procreate if the wife is under an age that I'm not yet aware of. 16 perhaps?

It's been a while so I could be misremembering but I think you go to child_birth_on_actions.txt and replace pregnancy.0009 (I don't remember if that was the number but it has the comment # Added hidden maintenance event for those who edited the defines), below where it says age <= 15,  with pregnancy.0001. Alternatively just delete the whole ua_on_pregnancy_minor_mother block and change the age >= 16 in the above section to something else. I vaguely remember there might've been similar age checks elsewhere in the files, but I think they didn't affect pregnancy, maybe look through them though if you can.

11 hours ago, Anything_Random said:

It's been a while so I could be misremembering but I think you go to child_birth_on_actions.txt and replace pregnancy.0009 (I don't remember if that was the number but it has the comment # Added hidden maintenance event for those who edited the defines), below where it says age <= 15,  with pregnancy.0001. Alternatively just delete the whole ua_on_pregnancy_minor_mother block and change the age >= 16 in the above section to something else. I vaguely remember there might've been similar age checks elsewhere in the files, but I think they didn't affect pregnancy, maybe look through them though if you can.

Thanks, I will dig, and see if that changes things.

Spoiler

pregnancy.9901 = {
    hidden = yes
    # DOES NOT WORK
    #trigger = {
    #    age <= 15
    #}
    immediate = {    
        #PREGNANCY COMPLICATION CALCULATIONS & FLAG-SETTING
        random_list = {
            10 = { #All goes smoothly!
                #Less likely if health is bad
                modifier = {
                    health <= fine_health
                    add = -5
                }

100 = { #Mother dies
                modifier = { #to keep players from dying excessively
                    add = -2
                    is_ai = no
                }
                add_character_flag = { #Flags blocks other birth events
                    flag = birth_mother_will_die
                    days = 270
                }
            }
            100 = { #Mother and child dies (this triggers when the birth "should" have gone down, since we don't want to create the baby)
                modifier = { #to keep players from dying excessively
                    add = -2
                    is_ai = no
                }
                trigger_event = {
                    id = birth.3021
                    days = { 180 200 }
                }
            }

AHHRRRRrrrr

yes, i can marry loli, but lollies can't survive

author, I am certainly grateful that you did a great job, but why did you cross out everything that you did with this crutch

Why is the mortality rate close to 100%? Could be limited to more realistic numbers

Edited by YoBa_Jess
5 hours ago, mojozohobo said:

Were you able to fix it? What did you end up changing if so?

Yes, it actually worked, and thank you @Anything_Randomfor the tip. I simply removed the section of code you said I could remove, and no more replacing dead teenage wives, lol. 

1 hour ago, YoBa_Jess said:

author, I am certainly grateful that you did a great job, but why did you cross out everything that you did with this crutch

Why is the mortality rate close to 100%? Could be limited to more realistic numbers

See above for fix. The only thing I can think of for why the author did this is it was a mistake and the idea would be a higher mortality rate, perhaps to keep from overpopulation balance, but certainly not 100%. 

Edited by Winded1
correct an error
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 6:26 AM, zaqwer132 said:

Any thoughts about fixing it for version 1.10? It doesn't work now. Well, partially. You can marry, but it frequently crashes. Seemingly randomly, but I think it would be at pregnancy starting point.

1.10 pach add 5-stars traits which are missing in the mod

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't gonna post this but it seems like there won't be an update any time soon. I got this seemingly working, been playing for 6 hours without crash. The problem is pretty obvious, for some reason this mod replaces the entire traits file, and a few others, so now that the eccentric trait exists everything referring to it crashes the game. I just merged this mods files with the new vanilla files but it was kinda painstaking, it probably would've been easier to make a copy of the 1.10 vanilla files and compare the 1.9 vanilla files to the mod files to see what was changed and then make the same changes to the 1.10 files. I'll upload my results here, but my install is already heavily modified so a bunch of the mod files are missing and there are a few additions from the old Younger Marriages mod that I've added back (mostly just to allow sex and pregnancy to work properly for ages 12-15). If you leave things as they are you'll probably run into errors with other mods, like Carnalitas where you can take the decision to become a prostitute but can't get the trait until 16, unless you modify its files (I'm actually not sure if that still doesn't work with the original Uneven Adulthood since I've never used it). Anyways, I figure it's better than nothing, I'm not gonna go through and fix the original mod, Someone else can do it if they'd like.

Uneven Adulthood 1.10 patch.zip

Edited by Anything_Random