Are Wards actually useful with high Restoration?

It's been over 300 hours across multiple characters and I've only ever cast one during the College questline. They've always seemed pretty useless.

Right now I'm running a dark elf paladin build with Restoration for the sunlight spells, healing, and extra undead damage alongside One-Handed dual-wielding and Heavy Armor, no shields. Are the higher level Wards effective enough to be worth incorporating? I can only think of situations involving enemy mages, dragon priests, and ice dragons (don't need to worry about fire damage as a Dunmer) where the extra defense might come in handy.

I also never used them anywhere other than during my time at the college.

They are still useful for college drinking games! Turn them and use them as a bowl filled with beer. You have to drink it all before the ward runs out ??

The looser gets wet and has to lick the floor! :beer: ??

But there is hope! I saw a few mods on Nexus that make them more useful by reducing SP use or anything else that rises their duration.

At the end I found a thing called "Dwarven Shield Generator" on Nexus.

Wards are actually quite useful, their only actual problem in vanilla being their oddly insane high cost, which perk/magic mods tend to take care of.

The actual quirk about wards is that you have to put them up ahead of time as their "healthbar" is a constantly regenerating value. The other unique thing is wards actually ignore perks of the other caster and the difficulty. You could have an enemy mage toss a perked up firebolt on legendary and the ward will still only take 25 damage. They also have the unique quirk of actually stopping all Shouts cold. Makes fighting higher Draugr and Dragons MUCH easier. Speaking of, the way breath works means that even a lesser/steadfast ward can 100% negate a dragon breath attack.

On 5/23/2023 at 4:48 PM, shaw38 said:

It's been over 300 hours across multiple characters and I've only ever cast one during the College questline.

I've been playing Skyrim for nearly 12 years and I too only ever cast it whenever Tolfdir asks.

I find Spellbreaker more useful. But only Zim's version. Vanilla is only slightly less garbage than a ward.

Edited by belegost

High magician consumption when casting?

But someone made a huge mistake and didn't understand something very fundamental:

ENCHANTMENT

even with a simple application of the enchantment at level 100, you can assign items of clothing, armor and jewelry with a factor of 25% to various magician versions

with 4 pieces of clothing you then have magic costs e.g. for restoration -> ZERO ... so it costs NO more mana!!

If you also combine this with alchemy ... i.e. you make high-quality potions for the work at the enchantment table ... you get 33% (or more) instead of 25%

so now 3 pieces of clothing instead of 4 are enough to reduce his mana cost for "Restoration" or "Destruction" to ZERO

Since in "Enchantment" at level 100 you can also get a skill (you just have to spend a skill point for it)...which allows you to put TWO enchantments on ONE object...how can it be so hard after all these Years of not knowing such simple game mechanics??

I'm not even talking about cheats here - I'm talking about putting in a bit of in-game work to enable a different playstyle than "heavy armor and a sharp sword".

these are all vanilla game mechanics!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 9:26 AM, Miauzi said:

High magician consumption when casting?

But someone made a huge mistake and didn't understand something very fundamental:

ENCHANTMENT

even with a simple application of the enchantment at level 100, you can assign items of clothing, armor and jewelry with a factor of 25% to various magician versions

with 4 pieces of clothing you then have magic costs e.g. for restoration -> ZERO ... so it costs NO more mana!!

If you also combine this with alchemy ... i.e. you make high-quality potions for the work at the enchantment table ... you get 33% (or more) instead of 25%

so now 3 pieces of clothing instead of 4 are enough to reduce his mana cost for "Restoration" or "Destruction" to ZERO

Since in "Enchantment" at level 100 you can also get a skill (you just have to spend a skill point for it)...which allows you to put TWO enchantments on ONE object...how can it be so hard after all these Years of not knowing such simple game mechanics??

I'm not even talking about cheats here - I'm talking about putting in a bit of in-game work to enable a different playstyle than "heavy armor and a sharp sword".

these are all vanilla game mechanics!

Even with zero cost casting this is still garbage. Yes, even Greater Ward. Takes a second or two to set up, doesn't really block that much damage and staggers you when it breaks. Why would you even waste time for Restoration if you can do the same with Destruction and hurl fireballs like candies off the back of a "FREE CANDY" van? After all, they can't hit you if they're dead.

Also, hammers>swords. Bonk!

Edited by belegost
Vor 1 Stunde sagte belegost:

Warum sollten Sie überhaupt Zeit für die Wiederherstellung verschwenden, wenn Sie das Gleiche mit der Zerstörung tun und Feuerbälle wie Bonbons von der Ladefläche eines „FREE CANDY“-Vans schleudern können? Schließlich können sie dich nicht treffen, wenn sie tot sind.

Auch Hämmer>Schwerter. Bonk!

Why? Because you can!

Suffices completely ... Fireballs are unnecessary - pure expression of a destroyer megalomania

do we have other views?
But so what ... you can't imagine how different!

?

---

Just for basic understanding:

It was never a question of whether another method is faster or more efficient ... but only whether another method is applicable

Edited by Miauzi