5 hours ago, traison said:

Still waiting for someone to stab the ini file to see if it can be made worse/better that way.

I figured it out!!

After dozens of Skyrim boots, and changing the values of options in the skee64.ini file, I've found the setting that is causing the weird visual glitch! Well, at least for me, anyway. Hopefully it works for you, too!

To clarify, it is the bBipedAttach option in the [Hooks] category. I'm not exactly sure what it does, but setting it to 0 instead of 1 fixes the issue.

image.png.f85ce208d6886d753e1b3b4bf18166ea.png

If anyone knows why that is, I am very curious to find out.

13 minutes ago, Overlord3 said:

I figured it out!!

After dozens of Skyrim boots, and changing the values of options in the skee64.ini file, I've found the setting that is causing the weird visual glitch! Well, at least for me, anyway. Hopefully it works for you, too!

To clarify, it is the bBipedAttach option in the [Hooks] category. I'm not exactly sure what it does, but setting it to 0 instead of 1 fixes the issue.

Looking through my skee64.ini file I don't have the [Hooks] section that you do. Was there anyway you enabled that?

Edited by Grill_Master
3 hours ago, Grill_Master said:

Looking through my skee64.ini file I don't have the [Hooks] section that you do. Was there anyway you enabled that?

Hmm, that's strange. I can't think of anything that I did differently out of the norm when setting up my Racemenu mod. All I can recommend is you could try adding the data that I posted an image of into your skee64.ini file and make sure to set bBipedAttach to 0. As always, make sure to do a backup beforehand in case it doesn't work.

8 hours ago, traison said:

Yay, there it is ? Now we hope that doesn't have any unwanted side-effects, like making your characters arms fall off during combat.

Yeah, well... on my setup that doesn't seem to be the problem. You see, i tested all that on my machine yesterday already. In fact i disabled everything in skee.ini, except for the stuff under [facegen] and [sculpting], since that didn't seem to be relevant.

Why didn't i say so? Because i first wanted to do what you said: Try indivitual options, reload every single goddamn time. Didn't have time for that yesterday.

And yup, i just tested what worked for overload. No difference. And Grill_Master: Would you please post your game and racemenu version? Because i don't think you're on racemenu 0.4.19.14. And if you're not, that means the bug is even older than thought. When combined with different workarounds working for different people, it could also mean it's not racemenu itself, but something about how other mods use racemenu. No racemenu, no usage, that's why it's the only thing so far that worked for everyone. Just not really practical to do.

For the record, i'm running:

- game version 1.6.659 AE GOG

- SKSE 2.2.3

- racemenu 0.4.19.14 GOG

- Fresh install for the above - no old trash from updates

- ENB 0.488p (the particlelights performance update, not the earlier 0.488)

- 3BA with CBPC, no SMP

- No overhauls/megamods, except for SMIM, Cat Land, Cat Weathers and ELFX + Fixes

- 8-core Ryzen (avg 60% load per core ingame), 16GB RAM (8-9GB used ingame), GF 1660 TI 6GB VRAM (3-4GB used ingame)

- Win8.1 (yes) in deepfreeze (1:1 system restore on reboot. Therefore no decay with use over time)

I've also just excluded parallax as the culprit. I thought maybe it's a candidate, since it's a rather new tek in skyrim and ENB, and i heard about problems with textures not loading if they lack parallax. Shouldn't affect bodies, but i thought i'll test to be sure. And indeed: Parallax got nothing to do with it.

Next on my list today: Try the workarounds posted so far with old savegames, to exclude longterm corruption.

Edited by libertyordeath

UPDATE: No savegame corruption here. I launched skyrim, COC'd to riverwood from the mainmenu, hired someone and fast-travelled. Bug still present.

However, i now found a solution for my case: Downgrade from racemenu 0.4.19.14 to version 0.4.19.13. No changes to skee.ini needed.

Details here:

4 hours ago, libertyordeath said:

UPDATE: No savegame corruption here. I launched skyrim, COC'd to riverwood from the mainmenu, hired someone and fast-travelled. Bug still present.

However, i now found a solution for my case: Downgrade from racemenu 0.4.19.14 to version 0.4.19.13. No changes to skee.ini needed.

I'm glad that you were able to find a solution for your build!

If later down the road I find out that my fix has some nasty side effects, I will try downgrading my Racemenu mod as well.

I think i just understood what's happening. I and most of you do probably have a zombie bodytex-override in your char and possibly every NPC you ever met.

It could be the following mod. If not, then it's likely another mod using the same racemenu feature. Description of the problem the linked flamepost below:

Traison! Your expertise is needed!

Let's say we have a mod that spams overrides and overlays on every char in skyrim. Now let's say that skyrim has a bunch of limits on how many things it can do simultaneusly. And when those limits are reached, it just stops doing work - or rather skips work. For example it may decide "Nah, i'm done. Not loading the rest of those bodytex-overrides today."

What kind of ressource limits should i look for then? I know enginefixes has a bunch of those. What about filehandles for example? Anything else?

Might help someone, here is how i fixed the bug.

I'm running racemenu 0-4-16 and with a few presets i have that issue : when i remove my outfit the body texture is glowing (missing texture)

It is not hapening with all presets, i guess it is version related with old presets. If you switch to another character without restarting skyrim it will corrupt that preset too

When editing the .JSLOT file i see in "skinOverrides" that i have undefined values. A quick dirty fix is to add in preset the texture path :

"skinOverrides" : [
      {
         "firstPerson" : false,
         "slotMask" : 4,
         "values" : [
            {
               "data" : "textures\\actors\\character\\female\\femalebody_1_msn.dds",
               "index" : 1,
               "key" : 9,
               "type" : 2
            },
            {
               "data" : "Actors\\Character\\Female\\femalebody_1_s.dds",
               "index" : 7,
            }
         ]
      }

edit : i tried to remove that skinOverride part from the preset but it is coming back, that's why i wrote the texture path instead

Edited by rjrc

I'm not familiar with engine specifics. If you suspect the game is not loading something when it should, Procmon from Sysinternals (Microsoft) will tell you when it does and may allow you to determine when it doesn't. I would assume the texture is cached though so most likely what you'd see is it loading it once on game launch, or at most once on cell swap. Set the filter to the exact texture file name and/or path and it should be obvious.

There may be a limit on file handles, but I have never seen an application run out of them. Sysinternals has a program called "handle" which will show you all open handles in the system. Filter it to only include Skyrim's process. If you're seeing a couple of thousand entries it may be something worth considering. Dump the output to a file if you don't want to count them by hand:

handle -p pid >skyrim_handles.txt

I wouldn't blame VRAM either, as even during normal operation, the system moves stuff around between VRAM and RAM, and thus I would assume if you somehow managed to run out of VRAM loading normal maps for your followers, it would just bleed over to RAM and get a whole lot slower i.e. your fps would drop to 2 long before you'd get a fatal "out of memory" error.

If you're suspecting this is an engine thing then the closest thing I can think of is that occasionally Skyrim has issues with LOD. I think everyone that has modded skyrim properly has at one point or another walked on those blurry terrain textures or floating roads. You could test this by removing all LOD data from the normal maps. They should always load at full resolution then.

Edit: Seems there may be even more fluctuation in file handle limits than I anticipated. I would have assumed the OS would be the one enforcing this, but this reddit post suggests the runtimes are involved as well for some reason. I just hope they have a reason to do so and that its not just some arbitrary limitation because someone thought "no one is going to open more than 512 files at once, surely". Arbitrary limits remind me of the old days. Oh how wrong we were about 512K of memory being "more than enough".

Edited by traison
17 minutes ago, rjrc said:

When editing the .JSLOT file i see in "skinOverrides" that i have undefined values. A quick dirty fix is to add in preset the texture path

I had a nother look at the preset shared by @Overlord3 and it looks like this:

"skinOverrides" : [
      {
         "firstPerson" : false,
         "slotMask" : 4,
         "values" : [
            {
               "data" : "",
               "index" : 1,
            }
         ]
      }
   ],

You may be on to something as well. Missing data value.

SkinOverrides is the same feature used by PregnancyNormalmapSwapper. That's what i meant by bodytex-override. We're all talking about the same thing. 

@Traison:

Sorry, i should have been more specific in my post. I'm thinking exclusively about engine limits of skyrim, since i know it has dozens of those. I just don't even know what half of them mean, so i was asking which ones could play a role when "applying" too many texture mods per char, on too many chars at the same time. Looks like we both know about the same in that regard, which is to say "not much".

Just tested with 3072 filehandle limit BTW. No difference.

Edited by libertyordeath
On 4/26/2023 at 8:40 PM, Overlord3 said:

I figured it out!!

My racemenu was a bit out of date so it didn't have the hooks section until I updated. I set bBipedAttach to zero and that did seemingly fix the glitch, however racemenu itself seemed to break  and would take forever to load or just freeze up completely (The presets on characters wouldn't load and it would default to the bodyslide preset you had for your character). On new game couldn't even change genders (Forget about even trying to load a preset). I'll see if it due to the change in value or if it is the racemenu I am using. I went from 0.4.14 to 0.4.19.3

Edit: I actually just noticed too that when I updated my racemenu the presets didn't switch over to the newer version (The presets still exist and are in the exact same position as the folder, but don't show up). How can I ensure they switch over/show up? 

ScreenShot100.png

Edited by Grill_Master

Its a normal map that went FUBAR. There are no normal map overlays, AFAIK.

Something screws your normal map up. You need to unscrew it. Post your load order, or go over it yourself.

Pregnancy normal swapper? Older Skill Based Muscle? Something like that is your culprit. 

1 hour ago, nilead said:

Its a normal map that went FUBAR. There are no normal map overlays, AFAIK.

Something screws your normal map up. You need to unscrew it. Post your load order, or go over it yourself.

Pregnancy normal swapper? Older Skill Based Muscle? Something like that is your culprit. 

Working on it here:

On 4/30/2023 at 1:07 AM, Grill_Master said:

My racemenu was a bit out of date so it didn't have the hooks section until I updated. I set bBipedAttach to zero and that did seemingly fix the glitch, however racemenu itself seemed to break  and would take forever to load or just freeze up completely (The presets on characters wouldn't load and it would default to the bodyslide preset you had for your character). On new game couldn't even change genders (Forget about even trying to load a preset). I'll see if it due to the change in value or if it is the racemenu I am using. I went from 0.4.14 to 0.4.19.3

Edit: I actually just noticed too that when I updated my racemenu the presets didn't switch over to the newer version (The presets still exist and are in the exact same position as the folder, but don't show up). How can I ensure they switch over/show up? 

ScreenShot100.png

I don't know if anybody saw this, but when I replaced my older racemenu with a newer one, all my presets disappeared. They still exist within the Chargen folder, but it doesn't show up in game when I go to the presets tab. Anyway I can fix this?

20 hours ago, traison said:

Perhaps the first thing I'd do is save a preset, then go find it. Once found, spot the differences (different path, different extension, different contents?).

I tried saving the preset I had and it said that it saved successfully, but when I checked the files the preset didn't actually save, it doesn't even exist. Saving presets on the newer racemenu's I swapped in doesn't work at all. How do I even begin to try to fix this?

While that does seem broken (assuming it's no because you installed the game in Program Files) the next thing I'd do is have Process Monitor (Sysinternals, Microsoft) tell me what it tried to do, and where it failed.

1. Leave it logging file IO in the background. The game will most likely load extremely slowly with it on.
  2. Create another preset in RM, give it a unique name like "findme".
  3. Close the game, stop logging in Procmon.
  4. Filter or search for a path containing "findme".
2 hours ago, Grill_Master said:

I tried saving the preset I had and it said that it saved successfully, but when I checked the files the preset didn't actually save, it doesn't even exist. Saving presets on the newer racemenu's I swapped in doesn't work at all. How do I even begin to try to fix this?

Have you tried searching for them? By that i mean the ancient art of filesearch. Not sure how useless explorer/windows search is nowadays (i'll never run the newer MS operating systems), but there's plenty of freeware out there, including stuff that doesn't require installation. *cough* portable freeware dot com.

There are no normal map overlays, AFAIK.

True, but there are skin-overrides. It's a new feature in racemenu, and it's a complete blackbox to users. You can't even see that slot in the GUI... just like the bootblock on old floppy disks.

Edited by libertyordeath
54 minutes ago, libertyordeath said:

Have you tried searching for them? By that i mean the ancient art of filesearch. Not sure how useless explorer/windows search is nowadays (i'll never run the newer MS operating systems), but there's plenty of freeware out there, including stuff that doesn't require installation. *cough* portable freeware dot com.

True, but there are skin-overrides. It's a new feature in racemenu, and it's a complete blackbox to users. You can't even see that slot in the GUI... just like the bootblock on old floppy disks.

Yep, I pulled out the old file search tradition and the new presets just don't physically exist

On 4/27/2023 at 1:40 AM, Overlord3 said:

I figured it out!!

Bless you, this seems to have fixed my issue. I updated RaceMenu at some point to try out Obody and started getting an issue with the body mesh (or texture?) since you have to build so many for Obody, so I thought Obody was the cause but it was still happening after uninstalling it.

I'll attach 2 screenshots below just to show incase some other random person finds this. New characters would be fine in RaceMenu until I load a preset or change to 1 of the default ones in the menu, exiting RaceMenu and back in with showracemenu would then fix the body (until changing loading a preset). Equipping any armour would cause the issue, as well as taking it off if you Equip > showracemenu > exit RaceMenu.

Spoiler

20230511133854_1.jpg20230511133906_1.jpg

Edited by Akujiki
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 2:40 AM, Overlord3 said:

I figured it out!!

Omg you saved my ass dude, THANK YOU

• 7 months later...
On 4/26/2023 at 5:40 PM, Overlord3 said:

I figured it out!!

That's amazing and, after a brief test, seems to work flawlessly, even on an existing save, even with wet function REDUX installed and active. Thanks.