How to Create: BSA & ESM?

Emily

Emily knows that bsa and esm are insaparable, But how to connect the binary of both esm and bsa if we use two different tool?

Will the ESM automaticly detect the BSA created by obmm?

Sorry, emily is away from desktop to test them atm. But it always good to killout supesitious while waiting.

As far as I am aware you need at least a dummy esp file to link to a bsa file.  I don't think you actually can link to esm files.   I could be wrong.  You "may" be able to do it via editing the oblivion ini file (similar to what oblivion.esm is doing) but most folks use an esp.

If you appoint it to refer from a BSA file when you appoint a resource with NIF files, a system checks it automatically.

I suggest to conversion of esp and esm to use TES4Gecko.

If it is necessary to make it as esp file, you convert it into esm file in TES4Gecko.

TES4Gecko can convert esm file into esp file.

There are several ways to create and maintain an esm.

I use Wrye Bash. Basically I use this workflow:-

I have a release esm and a work esp. e.g. ASXCore.esm and ASXCoreesm.esp.

When I'm ready to promote the esp to a release esm, I delete the current esm and 'esmify' the esp.

Then I rename the esp back to ASXCore.esm. Simple when you get used to it.

Beware BSA files! There are several pitfalls.

Make sure NOTHING extraneous is included. No thumbs.db files, no hidden files, no invalid files.

Many bsa files seem to include a copy of skeleton.nif as a convenience. You can imagine!

Bear in mind that parsing a BSA file is slower then loose files. One way to speed up Oblivion is to unpack the Bethesda BSA files.

Make sure NOTHING extraneous is included. No thumbs.db files, no hidden files, no invalid files.

Many bsa files seem to include a copy of skeleton.nif as a convenience. You can imagine!

Bear in mind that parsing a BSA file is slower then loose files. One way to speed up Oblivion is to unpack the Bethesda BSA files.

In that regards, I'd generally want to avoid packing assets into a bsa.

Too many modders who use BSA don't care about performance. I've seen thumbs.db, tga or bmp textures many times. No PyFFI, no sanitizing, unnecessarily huge textures. So I check almost every file in the mod before install something, but if the mod uses bsa I have to unpack and repack. badbadbad.

Will Emily do the sanitizing?

To make esm file, this is what I do:

Create esp file normally using CS tool

Save

Open Wrye Bash

Select esp file

Options > Copy to esm

Delete esp file

To make BSA I know it can be done this way:

Use OBMM

Utilities > BSA Creator

Select folder (must be arranged the same way as a Data folder in Oblivion)

Wait

Done

Profit!

I'm not sure about the mechanics of linking, but I do know that naming the BSA file with the same name as the esm, works so you have to have "mod.esm" and "mod.bsa"

At least, that worked for me in the past...

In that regards, I'd generally want to avoid packing assets into a bsa.

Too many modders who use BSA don't care about performance. I've seen thumbs.db, tga or bmp textures many times. No PyFFI, no sanitizing, unnecessarily huge textures. So I check almost every file in the mod before install something, but if the mod uses bsa I have to unpack and repack. badbadbad.

Will Emily do the sanitizing?

Well, emily wouldn't know. Haven't made any BSA yet.

The respective mod just got pending, there are no reason to make one at the moment.

Emily realize it was a very bad move to start another project while having the other one unfinished.

Sorry. Still feeling a bit depressed from canceling the beach mod. :(

The bikini cataloging just gone like that, what's the point of making an ESM and BSA filled with 100+ bikini without first making a proper beach.

There is much irony in this paragraph. Intended?

Umm... Now I have a question about this and I don't wanna start another thread...

By any chance does anybody know how to edit Oblivion.esm?

I know it's not recommended, the and of the world and blah blah blah...

But I just want to add some minor features and I want them on main esm, instead of another plugin

Thing is, I've previously edited esm files, but there is serious trouble with loading Oblivion.esm... it freezes up on loading

Tried CS extender and it still freezes up... with that CS extender option to load Oblivion.esm is possible, but it doesnt matter if it's esp or esm... it freezes

Oblivion.esm is the only file I've ever had such situation... anybody knows how?

I know what I'm doing in editing, and nothing is gonna break the game, I'm not changing anything, only adding content.

But I'm stubborn and maniac and I want it on Oblivion.esm!!!

Anybody...???

It appears even in the higher circles of modding it's impossible to edit Oblivion.esm

The darn thing just wont load

Some say things can be merged into it with stuff like tes4gecko

But it failed me too

Don't know if there's a way of doing it. But apparently not. It's impossible to load Oblivion.esm

And I say loading Oblivion.esm as ACTIVE FILE

CS can only attempt to load esp and esp copies of esm files created by WryeBash. CS Extender can attempt to load esm too. Both failed

Loading Oblivio.esm as master file for building plugins is child's play, every mod is built like that

Now try it as active file and it's impossible

I officially give up

Archived