Game version uncertainty 1.5.97 or 1.6.40

I'm looking to finally make the leap to SE, But as a I started getting into the process of setting everything up. I noticed most mods have an option for 1.5.97 and some are even exclusive to 1.5.97. Hdt smp for example. And the opposite scenario also holds true. I've never looked into modding SE at all and I have no idea what is going on with the different versions. Does anyone have any inpput they could share on this. like which version you are using and which I'd be better off using as a foundation for a modded game? Would I be better off sticking with 1.6.40 or running something like the unofficial download tool to run 1.5.97? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Me personally I never upgraded past 1.5.97, mainly for these reasons:

1. My setup was already good and working.
  2. My setup is heavily customized. I'd have to spend months modifying new versions of mods to reach the same point.
  3. There was nothing new I wanted.
  4. AE comes with the entire CC catalogue, most of which I was not interested in. (yes I know it's easy to disable afterwards)
  5. The risk of Bethesda pulling some stupid stunt in their code was too high (think Fallout 76). Turns out this was accurate, considering the "Marketplace" update is just around the corner, if it didn't sneakily get included already.

Perhaps the biggest cons of 1.5.97 right now is that *some* mods no longer support it. Most problematic of these (one that isn't just eyecandy) is perhaps USSEP. I've been sharing (upon request) the original Nexus file in another thread, as the official download link has been down for more than a year now.

I agree that that version is the one I also stick to and finish.

Some advanced mods do not work and what?....I ´ll never miss those.

1.6.40 is AE, I guess. What is better there? New physics-engine, new animation-engine?-Fishing at the lake-integration?-wow!

That version has a chance to add a complexer collision-havok-behavior - mod and do funny things....but!....(...) !!!!-this is ... again no content or improval of bethesda.

The fishing, I could integrate also into SLE...it´s very easy to do so. But I am not interested in fishing fish.

In that case better to add some new sitting poses and create those onto new chairs, legacy by using NEMESIS for a serious integration, imo.

All guys in skyrim sit same way on all the chairs-terrible! And same way their additional offsets-in-chair work-boring too.

Edited by t.ara
Vor 3 Stunden sagte betrunkene Kröte:

Ich möchte endlich den Sprung zu SE schaffen, aber als ich anfing, alles einzurichten. Mir ist aufgefallen, dass die meisten Mods eine Option für 1.5.97 haben und einige sogar exklusiv für 1.5.97 sind. Hdt smp zum Beispiel. Und das umgekehrte Szenario trifft auch zu. Ich habe mich noch nie mit dem Modden von SE befasst und ich habe keine Ahnung, was mit den verschiedenen Versionen los ist. Hat jemand einen Input, den er dazu teilen könnte. Welche Version verwenden Sie und welche sollte ich besser als Grundlage für ein modifiziertes Spiel verwenden? Wäre ich besser dran, bei 1.6.40 zu bleiben oder so etwas wie das inoffizielle Download-Tool auszuführen, um 1.5.97 auszuführen? Jede Hilfe wäre sehr willkommen.

Every user will answer this question in a different way...
...there is no generally "binding" truth

1. many mods are created by their authors with LE - simply because they have always worked with it or because they simply do not have SE (or even AE).

2. Many mods on SE are conversions from LE - which is much "easier" than going the other way
(yes - many mods created for either LE or SE - cannot be used on the other version without conversion)

3. many SE mods (quest mods) can NOT be used on AE without additional adjustments... the problem is that they often seem to work at the beginning and the errors only appear later in the game

4. when "Dumm-Desda" decided to release the AE version - this community worked to convert many of their mods from LE to SE - a process that takes years...
...and that's exactly where the AUTOMATIC conversion comes in
to make it short - months were burned senselessly

5. You can now read through hundreds of pages on all the mods that interest you, whether and how they work on AE instead of SE... I guess you don't need about 3 months full-time to deal with it... if you really want to "play" more instead of "modify" -> build your Skyrim on the SE version

Only problem are SKSE .dll based mods. The rest works unchanged.

I'm on 1.6.640, because on 1.5.97 RaceMenu had some memory related bugs. It was fixed, but not for "my" version.

Switch from 1.5.97 to 1.6.640 was not hard.

If you go to 1.6.640, and don't like that CCC thing, just delete it. Its a "mod", so .esm or .esp or .esl. Just delete(or rename) the file. Works just fine for me.

Hint: if you want USSEP, and not CCC, create "blank" CCC mod. We are modding, right?

Overtime, more and more mods will support only the latest Skyrim version(look at: mod had bugs, but was only fixed in latest version). But as I said before, only SKSE based ones are a problem.

Speaking as a 1.5.97 user and just done a GOG build based on my main 1.5.97 build I did find a quite a number of DLL's were already converted. (Basically I set up a new MO instance and copied the 1.5.97 mods and profiles to the new instance then went down all the DLL mods and checked their conversion status on the Nexus. and downloaded when found and disabled when weren't. As an aside the GOG version runs surprisingly well off an external drive). That said the mods which arn't available are ones I actually want eg. .Netframework for it's crash reporting, Glow Be Gone, (although you can use an ESP solution), FNIS - (Yep some say it does work, I couldn't get it too, but Nemisis seems OK I suppose)., Armor Rating Redux SE, (although there is  Armor Rating Rescaled SKSE which is similar, but not quite as flexible). Probably a couple of other things I have forgotten. 

However with the impending market place change I suspect there will be another round of gnashing of teeth by the masses as things crash an burn and programmers wandering off to new and more pleasant pastures. 

You may be asking why the two builds?, (actually I also have a totally native no mod organiser Legacy Of The Dragonborn build which comes in at a 210Gb native. Too scared to touch that nowadays.). My response is because!

Edited by spoonsinger
proof reading, PAH!!! it will all be done by jetpack wearing robots in the future!!
Spoiler
6 hours ago, traison said:

Me personally I never upgraded past 1.5.97, mainly for these reasons:

1. My setup was already good and working.
  2. My setup is heavily customized. I'd have to spend months modifying new versions of mods to reach the same point.
  3. There was nothing new I wanted.
  4. AE comes with the entire CC catalogue, most of which I was not interested in. (yes I know it's easy to disable afterwards)
  5. The risk of Bethesda pulling some stupid stunt in their code was too high (think Fallout 76). Turns out this was accurate, considering the "Marketplace" update is just around the corner, if it didn't sneakily get included already.

Perhaps the biggest cons of 1.5.97 right now is that *some* mods no longer support it. Most problematic of these (one that isn't just eyecandy) is perhaps USSEP. I've been sharing (upon request) the original Nexus file in another thread, as the official download link has been down for more than a year now.

6 hours ago, t.ara said:

I agree that that version is the one I also stick to and finish.

Some advanced mods do not work and what?....I ´ll never miss those.

1.6.40 is AE, I guess. What is better there? New physics-engine, new animation-engine?-Fishing at the lake-integration?-wow!

That version has a chance to add a complexer collision-havok-behavior - mod and do funny things....but!....(...) !!!!-this is ... again no content or improval of bethesda.

The fishing, I could integrate also into SLE...it´s very easy to do so. But I am not interested in fishing fish.

In that case better to add some new sitting poses and create those onto new chairs, legacy by using NEMESIS for a serious integration, imo.

All guys in skyrim sit same way on all the chairs-terrible! And same way their additional offsets-in-chair work-boring too.

4 hours ago, Miauzi said:

Every user will answer this question in a different way...
...there is no generally "binding" truth

1. many mods are created by their authors with LE - simply because they have always worked with it or because they simply do not have SE (or even AE).

2. Many mods on SE are conversions from LE - which is much "easier" than going the other way
(yes - many mods created for either LE or SE - cannot be used on the other version without conversion)

3. many SE mods (quest mods) can NOT be used on AE without additional adjustments... the problem is that they often seem to work at the beginning and the errors only appear later in the game

4. when "Dumm-Desda" decided to release the AE version - this community worked to convert many of their mods from LE to SE - a process that takes years...
...and that's exactly where the AUTOMATIC conversion comes in
to make it short - months were burned senselessly

5. You can now read through hundreds of pages on all the mods that interest you, whether and how they work on AE instead of SE... I guess you don't need about 3 months full-time to deal with it... if you really want to "play" more instead of "modify" -> build your Skyrim on the SE version

3 hours ago, Fotogen said:

Only problem are SKSE .dll based mods. The rest works unchanged.

I'm on 1.6.640, because on 1.5.97 RaceMenu had some memory related bugs. It was fixed, but not for "my" version.

Switch from 1.5.97 to 1.6.640 was not hard.

If you go to 1.6.640, and don't like that CCC thing, just delete it. Its a "mod", so .esm or .esp or .esl. Just delete(or rename) the file. Works just fine for me.

Hint: if you want USSEP, and not CCC, create "blank" CCC mod. We are modding, right?

Overtime, more and more mods will support only the latest Skyrim version(look at: mod had bugs, but was only fixed in latest version). But as I said before, only SKSE based ones are a problem.

2 hours ago, spoonsinger said:

Speaking as a 1.5.97 user and just done a GOG build based on my main 1.5.97 build I did find a quite a number of DLL's were already converted. (Basically I set up a new MO instance and copied the 1.5.97 mods and profiles to the new instance then went down all the DLL mods and checked their conversion status on the Nexus. and downloaded when found and disabled when weren't. As an aside the GOG version runs surprisingly well off an external drive). That said the mods which arn't available are ones I actually want eg. .Netframework for it's crash reporting, Glow Be Gone, (although you can use an ESP solution), FNIS - (Yep some say it does work, I couldn't get it too, but Nemisis seems OK I suppose)., Armor Rating Redux SE, (although there is  Armor Rating Rescaled SKSE which is similar, but not quite as flexible). Probably a couple of other things I have forgotten. 

However with the impending market place change I suspect there will be another round of gnashing of teeth by the masses as things crash an burn and programmers wandering off to new and more pleasant pastures. 

You may be asking why the two builds?, (actually I also have a totally native no mod organiser Legacy Of The Dragonborn build which comes in at a 210Gb native. Too scared to touch that nowadays.). My response is because!

Thank you for the replies. Upon doing more research I've decided to stick with 1.6.40, it seems like it will be easier in the long run. If I had 1.5.97 already installed and running mods I wouldn't even think about upgrading though. Sucks being late to the party. I miss the simplicity of modding LE. Everything worked fined other than low fps in cities and occasional stuttering.