How convert a folder into BSA

Start Oblivion Modmanager

At the right click "Utilities" button.

Click "BSA creator"  and a new window opens.

Click " Add folders(s) "  and select your folder

the folder you select must not contain a data folder. In the folder can be meshes, textures, sound folder.  So you can select a data folder that contains Meshes and Textures folders. But not a folder DarkBloodline that contains a data folder with subfolders.

Before you click Create button you set compression  to " No compression "

Then click the create button. Normally the Mod Manager will automatically find your game's Oblivion/data folder.

Then you have to enter the BSA name. Must be the same as the esp name ! ! !   e.g. DarkBloodline.esp  and DarkBloodline.bsa

You can have more than 1 bsa.  If the esp name is DarkBloodline  you can have DarkBloodline - meshes.bsa  and DarkBloodline - textures.bsa    or DarkBloodline - 1.bsa , DarkBloodline - 2.bsa, DarkBloodline - 3.bsa ,  . . .

No

If you have the folders Data/Meshes/ebonyarmor and other subfolders in meshes  you select the data folder with the Oblivion Modmanager.

Or if you have a unpacked mod with folders TheBigMod/Meshes/ebonyarmor   you select the TheBigMod folder

And if you have a unpacked mod with folders VeryGoodMod/data/Meshes/ ...  and textures/ ...   you select the data folder, NOT the VeryGoodMod folder.

Or  folders VeryGoodMod/TexturesReplacer/textures/ ....  you select the TexturesReplacer  folder. NOT the VeryGoodMod folder.

Or folders  VeryGoodMod/TexturesReplacer/data/textures/ ...  you select the data folder.  NOT the VeryGoodMod folder or the TexturesReplacer folder.

Always the folder with the subfolders meshes, textures, and/or sound in it

On 11/26/2022 at 10:12 PM, markboy said:

Basically I decompressed the DarkBloodline meshes files and changed the .nif of the female armors and clothes to the DMRA ones and I would like to know how I can compress this now modified folder in a BSA file again to replace the original in the game folder

bsarch pack "H:\!01\_Bath\bsacmd\in\Data" "H:\!01\_Bath\bsacmd\DynamROCBath.bsa" -tes4 -z

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/64745?tab=files

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so...

On my desktop, I keep a designated folder called RESOURCES.  I tend to have the contents of whatever BSA I am working on placed there.  Nice, neat, and separate from anything else.  If I was working on a BSA for... um... a LoversSituations mod (NOPE, NOT), I would have 'all' the resources of the BSA I was creating placed here.

BSAing.png

As you can see from the screenshot, it has within a Data folder.  I could have named the folder 'Dracula' or 'OwlKitty' instead of Data. The name of the folder makes no difference to me other than... well... it representing the Data folder in Oblivion that has the game contents.

As fejeena stated, the folder I select cannot 'CONTAIN' the Data folder.  In my example, it just is named a data folder.  But the important thing is the folder selected contains the content that will be in the BSA... Meshes folder, Textures folder, Sound folder...   NOT an INI folder as those require read/right.

What IS important is that when I select the data folder, the BSA system within Oblivion ModManager (which I too use), will grab the contents within the folder I selected, in this case the contents being the Meshes and Textures folders shown above.  And shown below, you will see that the resulting 'RELATIVE PATH' for your BSA is quite clear, the Meshes separate from the Textures, and so on.  This while you can also see the original filepath of every resource you are compressing is listed on the right.

BSASnag.png

And I would definitely leave it set to No Compression as fejeena advised.  The only time I use compression is if I am making a Textures Only BSA file with a ton of textures... and nothing else.

Edited by LongDukDong

BSArch ????  Why does someone make a tool for bsa packing and unpacking? The mod managers been able to do that since Morrowind.

Morrowind Mod manager 

Oblivion Mod manager (OBMM)

Fallout Mod manager (FOMM  works with Fallout3 and Fallout NV)

TesModManager - for Skyrim and Skyrim SE - Oblivion - Morrowind

And they all can extract and create OMods.

I use FOMM to unpack Oblivion bsa. I don't have Fallout3 installed but still the entire folder ( Bethesda Softworks/Fallout 3/Data/ ... ) with the Modmanager. FOMM starts in a few seconds because it doesn't have to load anything. Unlike my Oblivion MM which takes minutes to start with about 200 mods.

11 hours ago, fejeena said:

BSArch ????  Why does someone make a tool for bsa packing and unpacking? The mod managers been able to do that since Morrowind.

Morrowind Mod manager 

Oblivion Mod manager (OBMM)

Fallout Mod manager (FOMM  works with Fallout3 and Fallout NV)

TesModManager - for Skyrim and Skyrim SE - Oblivion - Morrowind

And they all can extract and create OMods.

I use FOMM to unpack Oblivion bsa. I don't have Fallout3 installed but still the entire folder ( Bethesda Softworks/Fallout 3/Data/ ... ) with the Modmanager. FOMM starts in a few seconds because it doesn't have to load anything. Unlike my Oblivion MM which takes minutes to start with about 200 mods.

Because it can do it for Oblivion, and for Skyrim, and for the SSE. I only need to change the parameters and not go into individual managers and figure out how they work.