How do I add a small webcam video recording to a gameplay video?

Dude500X

This is driving me nuts.  I have a recording I made with fraps but I recorded my voice with my webcam as well as a video of myself.  I want to put that webcam recording into my main gameplay video in the bottom right corner but I can't figure out how to do this with movie maker and I'm about to explode.

I need to get this video ready asap.  Someone help me please!!

if anyone can figure out a way I can do this it would be awesome.

All I need after that is a quality headset and then I'm good to go.  I'm currently playing Civilizatoin 5 Brave New World as well but I'm still mastering how to not sound like a dork over the mic haha..

Alright, so it actually seems like Movie Maker doesn't offer that functionality and looking around a bit revealed that most other free video editing applications are equally limiting. However, after looking around a bit more I came across an application called VSDC Free Video Editor. It's a bit peculiar in it's use but was able to get the job done, so you might want to take a look at it.
Another free and promising video editing application is Lightworks, but it's quite a bit more complex and probably overkill in your case (also it requires registration prior to download).

So if all you want to do is simple video tweaking and combining then the free software packages out there should serve you well enough, but for anything beyond that you should consider investing in a more sophisticated video editor.

Hopefully this is of any help to you, assuming you're still in one piece.

If you want to make good looking let's play video you will end up using paid programs, it is no rocket science, to my knowledge there is no real good video editing free software out there, at least nothing that matches the quality of Sony Vegas, Cyberlink power Director, Corel VideoStudio or equivalents.

Considering that many websites are saying that Windows Movie Maker is one of the best free video editing applications (and I do consider it being a piece of garbage) I wont get my hopes too high but you are welcome to try them all, not sure they will allow you to caption a webcam video inside your main gameplay footage tho.

lord_dweedle cold also end up with making let's play videos without putting his face inside the video to avoid having to buy quite expensive video editing programs.... still the easyness and output quality of free programs vs paid programs is a huge downside when you want to make videos that looks good, and if he is really enjoying making videos, paying for a good program should be something to consider.

I wouldn't add your webcam video of yourself to the gameplay.

Personally I get annoyed seeing the video author in a corner of the video as it is unneeded and most of them act like idiots anyway. I want to see unedited gameplay video, having your voice on the video is fine but having a second smaller video on it with you and your voice. Nah, I would just close the video right away.

I'm going to postpone my lets plays I think.

Still trying to figure out how I can record Skyrim without the damn framerate dropping to unplayability as well as trying to train my voice to sound better (need to buy a better headset too).

Sorry for the late reply.  Had to reinstall Windows, something on my pc screwed up bad.

Archived