Vulon

While I am interested in voice acting, I am not able right now to submit samples (No resume, never recorded anything for "official" release. Only for fun with a few friends and the mod never got released or posted anywhere) as I not only have a cold with a cough, but my cats have chewed through my mic cords.  Not sure how well using my app on my phone will work but I will try to work on it and get it figured out.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd really like to become more involved in voice acting though so far I have no experience. I'm an intermediate user of Audacity, but I can't justify investing in a really good microphone until I can verify that there is an interest for my voice (I've never been very good at accents, so it would come down to my natural voice in different personas).

I'm Australian but I don't have the really heavy stereotypical Aussie accent. I also have a passable singing voice so I've included a sample of me singing a Skyrim song along with 'haughty' and 'unsure' versions of the first paragraph of Moby Dick. I've labelled two as 'SHORT' because these are just very small excerpts of the two larger samples of my voice.

In the recordings below I am using (don't laugh!) a PS2 'Singstar' mic. As stated above I can purchase a decent mic once I know people are interested in my style.

SHORT - Call me Ismael (Haughty).wav

SHORT - Call me Ismael (Unsure).wav

Call me Ismael (Haughty).wav

Call me Ismael (Unsure).wav

Alduins wings (singing).wav

I'd really like to become more involved in voice acting though so far I have no experience. I'm an intermediate user of Audacity, but I can't justify investing in a really good microphone until I can verify that there is an interest for my voice (I've never been very good at accents, so it would come down to my natural voice in different personas).

I'm Australian but I don't have the really heavy stereotypical Aussie accent. I also have a passable singing voice so I've included a sample of me singing a Skyrim song along with 'haughty' and 'unsure' versions of the first paragraph of Moby Dick. I've labelled two as 'SHORT' because these are just very small excerpts of the two larger samples of my voice.

In the recordings below I am using (don't laugh!) a PS2 'Singstar' mic. As stated above I can purchase a decent mic once I know people are interested in my style.

attachicon.gifSHORT - Call me Ismael (Haughty).wav

attachicon.gifSHORT - Call me Ismael (Unsure).wav

attachicon.gifCall me Ismael (Haughty).wav

attachicon.gifCall me Ismael (Unsure).wav

attachicon.gifAlduins wings (singing).wav

I love the voice type. Good job.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the belated response! My notifications for this topic must have gotten buried under notifications for other threads, because I just checked back in here and saw this for the first time. I love your voice! :D

Great, thanks :) I'll look into buying a mic and then post some better examples.

Looking forward to it! Your singing voice is extremely impressive, as well. :) 

If you'd like a part voice acting in Forbidden Fruit, when the time comes, we'd be more than happy to have you! Based off of your 'haughty' sample and singing demonstration, you might just be the perfect fit for the Altmer daughter, who has a deep love of music and would likely offer up some opportunities to sing. 

So, I'm Aryes (formerly known as twightdiamond) and when I grow up I want to be a pirate voice actor. :D

I was recently given the great opportunity of voicing a main character for Athstai's Dark Investigations Mod! Some samples from the mod can be viewed below.

I'm still playing around with microphones and setups to see what works for me. Oddly enough, these lines were recorded using my HTC One smartphone. I'm definitely still working on my technique and versatility, but practice makes perfect.. we can't all be as awesome as Vulon (who is also in this Mod by the way) :P

Update: I now have an AT2020 USB mic which gives me a much clearer sound.

Mod download available here: http://dark-investigations.blogspot.com.au/

My original post with a few voice samples:

@Aryes Great voice! Not going to lie, I always had a thing for Aussie accents. ;D

@Vulon Didn't know you voiced Glanton! Great job, loved his voice. By the way, are you going to voice in Firebase Zulu?

So, I'm interested in voice acting but I don't have a mic or have any idea how to get started. Also, I'm not sure about how great my voice is...so any tips?

• 2 weeks later...

@Aggh_ Thanks :)

In relation to voicing for a mod, perhaps just start by using your mobile or webcam mic to post a few samples like I did? There are lots of mods out there looking for voices. Athstai's Dark Investigations mod is still looking for plenty of voice actors.

If someone approaches you for a part then you can consider investing in a good microphone. Initially I went and bought a ShurePG58 but it was a big mistake. I now have an AT2020USB (like Vulon recommended) and it works much better.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really quite shy about all this, but I said I was going post voice examples and by golly I'm not going to make a liar out of myself!

I paid a lot for this mic, but I don't have a quiet room and it certainly isn't studio quality, so expect a little background noise. I do my best to get rid of it though :)

For the small portion of Bilbo's Last Song, I found a random audio clip to mix with it because it sounded stupid without some kind of background music, or I lack confidence, either way it has a random audio clip in it along with my voice. (Also make no mistake, I do not have much of a singing voice... okay well none, but I figured I should post it anyway in case of whatever? I dunno 0.0;;;; )

Normal.wav

LittleProblem(Smart).wav

LittleProblem(Informed).wav

BilboLastSong.wav

Hit.wav

• 3 weeks later...

Not bad, AlexGoneLoco. :)

I haven't been doing a whole lot of voice acting the last couple months, but I have experimented here and there with adding effects, tweaking EQ, and just playing around with audio in general. Here's a quick impression of a dovah I threw together a while back. I tried to layer it with effects similar to those used in-game, using a reference clip of Alduin's voice I found on youtube as a basis. 

Dovah.wav

Ok, after all the holidays I finally got around to doing a few samples with my new microphone. I can't recommend highly enough that any interested voice actors get the AT2020 like Vulon recommended.

Some samples of the improved quality. I didn't even spend much time cleaning these samples up.

Guard Quotes

sweetroll.wav | is that fur.wav | bandit raid.wav

Babette - Child's voice attempt

Little girl.wav

More Singing - I'd like to Audition for the Inconsequential NPCs fix that is up on Nexus Forums Voice Acting Thread, but unfortunately I can't do the instrumental part.

Age of Agression.mp3

First Paragraph of Alcott's Little Women (long)

Normal: Little Women.wav

American Attempt: American - Little Women.mp3

English Attempt: English - Little Women.mp3

And Vulon, that Dovah voice is awesome :D

I've just updated the above Little women samples to include some accents I decided to throw together this evening. I'm sure with some more work I will get better.

I definitely prefer the British attempt, but I have a little piece of my heart set on being able to voice Bretons at some stage, and I understand their accents lean towards standard American.

... I'm annoyingly prolific on this thread. :-/

Well if you played the dark investigations mod I voiced Anray :)

I really enjoyed your performance, even if you did record with a webcam. Very natural and impressive. :D

Wow thanks :) It's appreciated.

I've had several of those mods you listed, in truth you fall in with the vanilla cast. Since you cover so many npc's in my play through ha! 

Still what you do is impressive to my ears anywho!

I shall stop here until I can record better samples :) don't want to make this into a big chat forum. 

I'm actually looking for a voice actress for my follower mod Reiko Senjua since my previous voice actress fell off the radar. We only got up to the first quest and that's a nono. 

Now of course the work would be voluntary for a bit. I won't be able to actually compensate the person properly until around mid february, but if you're a female voice actor with a decent mic looking to get some practice in/immortalize your voice, give me a holler. 

• 2 months later...

I hope you were able to find a VA, Mergatroid. :D

I recently got a new mic which I'm quite satisfied with - the MXL 990. I feel it reproduces my voice more naturally than the AT2020 does, and seems to isolate the noise between myself and the mic more efficiently, too; without going out of my way, there's less room noise present in a recording with the MXL than with the 2020. Here's a direct comparison of the two mics I recorded. Both recordings were taken from the same position within minutes of each other. Notice a difference?

MicComparisonMXL_vs_AT2020.wav

I thought it was worth bringing up, because the mic is currently on sale at Amazon for roughly the same price as the AT2020. For anyone interested in getting into voice acting, for the price, I think this is a fantastic opportunity. I was surprised at just how accurately it reproduced my voice, and after listening to the comparison a few times over, it's clear to me that the MXL wins. I felt like the AT2020 recording was tinny in comparison. However! This mic is less accessible than the AT2020 because it's not a USB mic. If you don't have the necessary equipment to use it, I think the AT2020 is still the best bet for your recording needs. 

I hope you were able to find a VA, Mergatroid. :D

I recently got a new mic which I'm quite satisfied with - the MXL 990. I feel it reproduces my voice more naturally than the AT2020 does, and seems to isolate the noise between myself and the mic more efficiently, too; without going out of my way, there's less room noise present in a recording with the MXL than with the 2020. Here's a direct comparison of the two mics I recorded. Both recordings were taken from the same position within minutes of each other. Notice a difference?

attachicon.gifMicComparisonMXL_vs_AT2020.wav

I thought it was worth bringing up, because the mic is currently on sale at Amazon for roughly the same price as the AT2020. For anyone interested in getting into voice acting, for the price, I think this is a fantastic opportunity. I was surprised at just how accurately it reproduced my voice, and after listening to the comparison a few times over, it's clear to me that the MXL wins. I felt like the AT2020 recording was tinny in comparison. However! This mic is less accessible than the AT2020 because it's not a USB mic. If you don't have the necessary equipment to use it, I think the AT2020 is still the best bet for your recording needs. 

IMO there is a very, very slight difference. I do hear the bass range issue but apart from that it seeps crisp to me.

Archived