Droids of the Commonwealth - the Re-redux ?

• 4 weeks later...

3 week bout vs. Covid (outpatient, so not as bad as it could have been). Couple times I thought inpatient might be inevitable. Wife was freakin' out, but I'm all good now.

This was my third bout with that wretched shit. And that's vaxxed and double boosted. Which I credit for keeping me out of the Covid ward. Perks of working in a VERY

public-facing professional trade I suppose.

My hard-headed dad didn't fare so well. He lost his fight with it back in July. My sisters and I are still trying to sort his estate.

RIP Pops. 

That said, I had no choice but to take an extended break from life itself (pretty much). I'm just this week finding a little time here and there to game and mod. So don't

expect anything soon, but I DO intend to finish and deliver this mod. I'm hoping by Christmas at the latest, but we'll see. Work is still playing hell with my free time. Lots

to catch up on.

One last thing:

I've decided I'm just going to finish the ENTIRE mod, and drop it all at once. The base mod and ALL THREE add-ons, including Lunar Edition. I got to thinking that everything

works as I have it set up right now. Just needs finishing and tweaking. So it's likely best to release everything at once so in the event I did cross something up in the rebuild,

there won't be any waiting for the next edition to drop to make something work as intended.

I'll update again with some details and eye candy when I remember where I left off. Probably over the coming weekend.

Trykz

12 hours ago, Trykz said:

3 week bout vs. Covid (outpatient, so not as bad as it could have been). Couple times I thought inpatient might be inevitable. Wife was freakin' out, but I'm all good now.

This was my third bout with that wretched shit. And that's vaxxed and double boosted. Which I credit for keeping me out of the Covid ward. Perks of working in a VERY

public-facing professional trade I suppose.

My hard-headed dad didn't fare so well. He lost his fight with it back in July. My sisters and I are still trying to sort his estate.

RIP Pops. 

That said, I had no choice but to take an extended break from life itself (pretty much). I'm just this week finding a little time here and there to game and mod. So don't

expect anything soon, but I DO intend to finish and deliver this mod. I'm hoping by Christmas at the latest, but we'll see. Work is still playing hell with my free time. Lots

to catch up on.

One last thing:

I've decided I'm just going to finish the ENTIRE mod, and drop it all at once. The base mod and ALL THREE add-ons, including Lunar Edition. I got to thinking that everything

works as I have it set up right now. Just needs finishing and tweaking. So it's likely best to release everything at once so in the event I did cross something up in the rebuild,

there won't be any waiting for the next edition to drop to make something work as intended.

I'll update again with some details and eye candy when I remember where I left off. Probably over the coming weekend.

Trykz

Sorry to hear about your dad @Trykz ? but glad to hear you came through ok, take your time, we can wait till you've got the mod where you want it.

On 11/22/2022 at 9:35 AM, Oldwolf58 said:

Sorry to hear about your dad @Trykz ? but glad to hear you came through ok, take your time, we can wait till you've got the mod where you want it.

Thanks. But it is what it is. He made his choice and he accepted it in the end.

Anyway, I didn't get any screenshots yet, but I did get quite a bit done on the mechanical side of things. The terminal at the weapons factory entrance is gone. It has been replaced by a new, moderately-rare holotape found in "some" trashcans and mailboxes.

The trashcan spawn odds are about 10%, while the mailbox spawn odds are around 40%. The factory entrance is now located at Fort Hagen, beneath the motorpool via trapdoor on the floor. Even in my heavily difficulty modded game, I had little trouble getting from

Vault 111 to Fort Hagen. I DID find a holotape in a mailbox right in Sanctuary, but opted to head to Fort Hagen without using it so I could start scrapping stuff and setting up the settlement there. The duty roster terminal in the factory won't show your first objective

until level 15 anyway. Then again at 30. And finally at 45 which leads you into the actual Lunar Edition stuff. I'll be adding duty roster terminals in sensible areas around the game, so you won't need to run all the way back to Fort Hagen or Fort Strong to use one.

I felt the 15 level spread was pretty decent for the mod to integrate well into the vanilla game. Like A.S.I.A., there are NO "actual" quests. The entirety of the mod is terminal driven, with plenty of common sense hints and clues that should be relatively easy to

figure out. The level 30-45 part is NOT a cakewalk though. It requires reaching 3 terminals on a 72 hour (real time) timer from the first. Each terminal places a unique effect on your character that lasts 72 hours. If the first effect fades before you get to the relay

terminal, you'll need to start from the first again. I playtested this in a "casual" play session, and completed it with plenty of time to spare.

The actual Lunar Edition stuff is where I have the most work to do yet. As such, I don't want to give much more info about it. At least not yet. Most of the mechanical stuff is done. I also need to finish setting up the roamers in all the worldspaces. I'll likely work

on those over the weekend.

Trykz

So I’m in Gainesville for work for the week ?

Anyway, I was thinking today about perhaps….. maybe, adding in a Droid companion. So I figured I’d ask for some additional input on the matter.

While the mod “can” be played by either sex, it is primarily geared toward a female protagonist. So I was thinking that a male companion might be a good fit. Especially if he can provide hints and tips here and there to aid the player in finding specific items or locations through dialogue.

As I understand it, creating companions is much more involved than in Skyrim. And relying mostly on info I’ve read, my understanding is that they’re much more immersive if you’re willing to put in the time to give them in-depth dialogue.

I’m willing to put in the time, depending on the level of interest. So drop your opinions here. I’ll parse out any pros and cons you provide for the remainder of the week, and make a decision on my way back to Orlando Friday evening.

Trykz 

3 hours ago, Trykz said:

Anyway, I was thinking today about perhaps….. maybe, adding in a Droid companion. So I figured I’d ask for some additional input on the matter.

Personally I never use companions, and I hate having them forced on me, so if you do offer them make them something the player can choose to have or not, by all means include them in the mod, but do not force them onto the player.

On 12/5/2022 at 7:25 PM, Trykz said:

So I’m in Gainesville for work for the week ?

While the mod “can” be played by either sex, it is primarily geared toward a female protagonist. So I was thinking that a male companion might be a good fit. Especially if he can provide hints and tips here and there to aid the player in finding specific items or locations through dialogue.

As I understand it, creating companions is much more involved than in Skyrim. And relying mostly on info I’ve read, my understanding is that they’re much more immersive if you’re willing to put in the time to give them in-depth dialogue.

I’m willing to put in the time, depending on the level of interest. So drop your opinions here. I’ll parse out any pros and cons you provide for the remainder of the week, and make a decision on my way back to Orlando Friday evening.

Trykz 

I personally don't do companions, mainly because of their AI. They tend to get in the way more than they help, they're slow to react to a combat situation or they'll start a fight you didn't want to get into, they'll walk or Run right into the player trying to maintain some sandbox rule. Most of the companion overhauls out there are geared more at trying to fix the screwed up companion AI's more than trying to introduce new companions because most people recognize that the AI's for them are a mess. What would be cool if you had, say an "old timer", someone that's been around for a long time and has a small place of their own. You could "drop in" on them from time to time and their dialogue choices would give you the clues you're looking for based on your "needs" of the moment (choices appear based on the stage of the quest(s) you are doing. That way the hints would be available if you get stuck but you wouldn't have to deal with all the foibles of having a problematic follower giving you fits in the field.

Edited by Oldwolf58

I always find it funny how users consistently manage to ignore good companion mods.
Obviously, these go beyond the verbally expressed "narrative"

no matter - then I'll just call them:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/36254

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23273

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/30488

however, there are many years of development behind these mods - to bring them to this level.
Ergo, you have neither the time nor the means to create something comparable here - my advice:
Delete this subproject

Yes - I run with companions - but with those of the noble class.
And as a player, I don't let anyone "push" me on from the outside - especially not as a lesbian woman - a guy who also acts as a protector - rejected!
(What kind of human image do you men have?)

?

On 12/5/2022 at 9:25 PM, Trykz said:

I personally like to use companions. They can be a hassle when it comes to the AI while exploring some areas, but usually a good story, dialogue and looks can make me use them for a whole playthrough. Would be nice to have a male and female, but I dig that this requires a lot of work. I personally prefer to have women as companions, don't matter if I'm playing with a male or female character.

I have plans to make companion mods to Starfield when it launches, but I expect them to not have any voices, just so I can do it more easily (lore-wise a mute companion, or even a robot with its voice module broken or something). You could consider this, but it's all up to you.

12 hours ago, Hallows-Slayer said:

I am for the companion idea. If not I will make me a plugin like I did last time to make certain companions droids lol. so either way haha.

Thinking back to some of the discussion in the old thread, I don't think you were the only one to do that. I recall some folks mentioning

swapping Piper, Cait, and a number of custom followers to the droid race. And I must say, that's a far cry simpler than creating a new NPC.

I vaguely recall someone mentioning doing the same with Companion Ivy.

Considering this, as long as both Droids and the companion mod are requirements, I see no reason why anyone who converts a companion

couldn't simply share their own companions with others. And I really don't see myself adding that level of depth to anything I could include

built into the mod. I think I would be better served offering patches for existing companions. So perhaps I'll look a bit deeper into that option.

I could also make these companions hackable like I did in my testing with A.S.I.A. and vanilla synths ?

I spent much of the weekend refining some of the mechanics of the mod. Thermal Edition now automatically kicks in a lot more reliably.

The leveled list spawn rate of the holotape to become a droid got a bit of improvement, but I'm thinking I may add the factory terminal

back in with a level requirement. Speaking of the factory, it is now permanently relocated to beneath the motorpool garage at Fort Hagen.

I added duty roster terminals to the factory, Fort Strong, the Charlton, and the Watson.

As noted earlier, stimpaks no longer work to heal your health, BUT, are still necessary to repair limbs. Robot repair kits remove rads

(same as Rad-a-way). Requisitioning repair kits requires 1 screw, 1 spring, and 1 stimpak (returns 5 repair kits).

I will also be adding a number of scrap requirements for many of the hardware and software programs. More on these later.....

Trykz

Vor 19 Minuten sagte Trykz:

Tauschen Sie Piper, Cait und eine Reihe von benutzerdefinierten Anhängern gegen die Droidenrasse aus. Und ich muss sagen, das ist viel einfacher, als einen neuen NPC zu erstellen.

Ich erinnere mich vage, dass jemand erwähnte, dasselbe mit Companion Ivy zu tun.

In Anbetracht dessen, solange sowohl Droiden als auch der Companion-Mod erforderlich sind, sehe ich keinen Grund, warum jemand einen Companion konvertieren sollte

konnten ihre eigenen Gefährten nicht einfach mit anderen teilen. Und ich sehe wirklich nicht, dass ich irgendetwas, das ich einbeziehen könnte, dieses Maß an Tiefe hinzufügen würde in den Mod eingebaut. Ich denke, ich wäre besser bedient, wenn ich Patches für bestehende Gefährten anbieten würde. Also werde ich mich vielleicht etwas genauer mit dieser Option befassen.

Ich könnte diese Begleiter auch hackbar machen, wie ich es in meinen Tests mit ASIA und Vanille-Synthesizern gemacht habe ?

My thoughts on the idea of turning followers into androids:

While it would work visually with everyone - it wouldn't always make sense for some from the perspective of their own story.

With Ivy - who is already a human brain in a cyborg body anyway - I think it would defeat the purpose of her creation by Institute scientist Dr. Make Stein (yes - Frankenstein) obsolete.
It's supposed to have a biological (carnal) shell on the outside, but a "chassis" like the Terminator on the inside.
The lady has a built-in long and short range teleporter!
(pure personal opinion - there will still be enough users who don't care about such concerns and would beg for a patch like this)

Heather - the caravan operator - the survivor of the University-Point massacre.
Here, on the other hand, I can even imagine very well that she will be transformed into an android - in my view there would even be good reasons for her to take such a step voluntarily -> revenge on Kellog
or
she was captured by the Institute after the massacre and subjected to an android transformation experiment...
..either subsequently "thrown away" like Valentine or escaped from the institute
(I'm currently working quite intensively with this companion in my own block story - there are a few starting points)

Darlene - so far I only know the char from his extensive description on Nexus - only what I've learned from the comments so far...
..the lady was an android for some time anyway due to institute experiments - but the memories were probably erased.
(I can say more precisely before the end of the year - the first interaction with her in the current game run will only take place in the next few days)

--
Hackable?
In any case, such an intervention would break the character of Ivy - the affinity system is much more complex and multi-layered than any other companion mod.

9 hours ago, Miauzi said:

Hackable?
In any case, such an intervention would break the character of Ivy - the affinity system is much more complex and multi-layered than any other companion mod.

By "hack", I mean giving her the terminal connection inherent to every robot in the game. Meaning she could be powered up and down, and connected to

the droids recycler system. I can easily bypass the commands for self-destruct, etc., through conditions. I already do this with the game's robots.

As for her race, it's not really necessary to "swap".

She's a machine. For which I could easily create a lore angle for. Too easily. Human brain in a droid body? Exactly what the player droid is. I could very organically

pass Ivy off as the earliest droid, no matter WHO created her. Droids lore dictates that your character is a government creation. Though I never really went into

"where" the science behind it originated. These are the types of things I leave to the player to decide for themselves.

I'm sure most anyone could imagine the research and development being "stolen".

Leaving lore aspects up to the user leaves open near-endless opportunities. Thinking back to when I created the four A.S.I.A. models, the one thing I did (which I

now wish I hadn't), was giving their creation a hard tie-in to Robco and General Atomics. I broke so much potential for expansive lore behind them, it hindered

my ability to expand the entire mod in many of the ways I later wished I could.

iRobot was my very first race mod for FO4. It was extremely simplistic, with zero lore or any kind of meaningful interaction within the game.

Anyway, moving on to what I had mentioned this morning:

I'm adding some new "component" requirements for certain software abilities. Currently, I've added a lead component for the new "core shielding" ability.

It works like this:

Right from the start you'll have access to power core shielding. The power core has a total capacity of 310%. At 300%, it overheats and melts down, and you go boom.

Imagine you're caught in a radstorm. Your power core is soaking up those rads like a sponge, and piling up the power. Eventually..... BOOM!

Until now.... at 275% power, and IF you have lead in your inventory (of the scrapped variety), a new ability opens up allowing you to shield your core from

the storm's impending deadliness.

I did similar with the optics filtering: 1 fiber optics for the thermal overlay, and 1 nuclear material for night vision (which can alternatively be recycled for power).

Crystal and aluminum will be the new requirements for the refraction field (90 seconds of complete invisibility).

Many of these can be grabbed right from any crafting bench or shelves in the factory (NONE of which respawn).

I'll be adding others like copper and circuitry into abilities they best fit. ALL of the required items for each ability will be listed in the "operations manual" you

get access to at the beginning of your journey as a droid. It's a bit of a learning curve at the beginning, but becomes second nature rather quickly (hence: the

15 level spread between objectives).

More to come....

Trykz

Vor 9 Stunden sagte Trykz:

Mit "Hack" meine ich, ihr die Terminalverbindung zu geben, die jedem Roboter im Spiel eigen ist. Das heißt, sie konnte ein- und ausgeschaltet und mit ihr verbunden werden

das Droiden-Recycler-System. Ich kann die Befehle zur Selbstzerstörung usw. leicht durch Bedingungen umgehen. Ich mache das bereits mit den Robotern des Spiels.

Was ihre Rasse betrifft, ist es nicht wirklich notwendig, sie zu "tauschen".

Sie ist eine Maschine. Für die ich leicht einen Lore-Winkel erstellen könnte. Zu leicht. Menschliches Gehirn in einem Droidenkörper? Genau das, was der Spielerdroide ist. Ich könnte sehr organisch

geben Ivy als den frühesten Droiden aus, egal, WER sie erschaffen hat. Die Überlieferungen der Droiden schreiben vor, dass dein Charakter eine Schöpfung der Regierung ist. Obwohl ich nie wirklich hineingegangen bin

"wo" die Wissenschaft dahinter ihren Ursprung hat. Das sind die Dinge, die ich dem Spieler überlasse, für sich selbst zu entscheiden.

Ich bin mir sicher, dass die meisten sich vorstellen können, dass die Forschung und Entwicklung „gestohlen“ wird.

Lore-Aspekte dem Benutzer zu überlassen, lässt nahezu endlose Möglichkeiten offen. Wenn ich daran zurückdenke, als ich die vier ASIA-Modelle erstellt habe, das einzige, was ich getan habe (was ich

jetzt wünschte ich, ich hätte es nicht getan), gab ihrer Kreation eine enge Verbindung zu Robco und General Atomics. Ich habe so viel Potenzial für weitreichende Überlieferungen hinter ihnen gelassen, dass es behindert wurde

meine Fähigkeit, den gesamten Mod auf viele Arten zu erweitern, die ich mir später wünschte.

iRobot war mein allererster Race-Mod für FO4. Es war extrem einfach, ohne Überlieferungen oder irgendeine sinnvolle Interaktion innerhalb des Spiels.

and when i read the text...

..You are a brilliant mechanic - but ONLY a mechanic.
You're good at building things together - whether it's gears or software.

And you've never played a run with the companion Ivy - because you probably don't find it necessary.
It's just an Android - you can even construct it much better.

Yes - a mechanic gives such answers out of his worldview.

A psychologist, on the other hand, puts his hand on his face and sighs at the ignorance of a mechanic...
..because the "construct Ivy" contains 90% psychoanalysis and hardly 10% "mechanics".

As I said - you can do anything - you can also do many things in areas that you don't even understand the basics of...
..or does not allow any other conclusions with his statements.
---
It doesn't matter - if I ever play this absolutely ingenious mod - I will definitely not use the companion mod "Ivy" for it

nevertheless I keep my fingers crossed for a good success of your project

10 hours ago, Miauzi said:

It doesn't matter - if I ever play this absolutely ingenious mod - I will definitely not use the companion mod "Ivy" for it

nevertheless I keep my fingers crossed for a good success of your project

As with ANY patch I might make, it's use is at the sole discretion of the user.

I don't "expect" any user to load anything outside of the things I stipulate are absolutely necessary to make the mod function as intended.

When it comes to Ivy (or ANY companion I might make a patch for), I'm sure many like you will feel just as you do. My job isn't to force you to play your game my way.

It's certainly not necessary to use a patch to run with Ivy. Especially given all of the new power management options I've added.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, my job is to offer alternatives for you to pick and choose from to best suit your style of play. Not pigeonhole you into anything ?

Trykz

Typical to the holiday season, the week before Christmas is normally slow. At worst, I may get some small stuff or service calls

until after the New Year. So I'm taking advantage of the time to really push things forward.

I've spent a lot of time thinking on the new profile system. The mod is already quite hefty in function and scope. So I'm doing

away with the armor component of the system to reduce the requirements. All in all, I began to feel like many aspects were

being forced on the end user that really aren't necessary. Currently there are 4 different armor/clothing mods required for

the profile system alone. And this is on top of the original built-in armor set, and the new Assaultron Profile gear.

The profile system relied on two parts: a SPECIAL component and an armor component.

The SPECIAL component will remain, while to armor component will be replaced by a persistent

"item" component for SOME profiles.

The Assaultron profile will be comprised of 3 parts:

the SPECIAL component

the armor component (included in the mod)

an Assaultron Circuit Board (not to be confused with the "military" circuit board)

The General Duty profile will be comprised of 3 parts:

the SPECIAL component

the original armor set (included in the mod)

a Military Circuit Board

The Infiltrator Profile is comprised of 2 parts:

the SPECIAL component

1 Stealth Boy

The Civilian Profile will be comprised of 1 part

the SPECIAL component only

The item components are "persistent". Meaning they MUST be present in your inventory for the profile to function.

Item components MUST be sourced by the player. And there are more than those listed in the profiles.

Most software subroutines will require a consumable from level 1 - 15. Consumables are "replaced" at levels 15+

by "persistent" items once your droid is upgraded on the Watson.

Here is one example:

Thermal Imaging: highlights enemy targets

levels 1-15 requires "fiber optics" as a consumable

levels 15+ (after upgrade) requires 1 persistent "Enhanced Targeting Card" 

The "Assaultron Profile" is very different from "Assaultron Mode".

Assaultron Mode is basically a short term (3 minute) bulldozer mode. It utilizes the component, armor, AND

more extreme SPECIAL adjustments on an INCREDIBLY POWER HUNGRY self-cancelling timer. Once engaged, it

CANNOT be manually cancelled. It's power usage is roughly 500% of the Assaultron Profile.

Responsible use is HIGHLY recommended.

More later.....

Trykz

More on upgrading and the Profile System:

at level 15 (when the Automatron Quest triggers), your Droid is eligible to undergo the upgrade process.

As noted earlier, this process starts aboard the Charlton, and completes aboard the Watson.

From there, A LOT changes.

The Version 1.0 holotape is removed during the upgrade, and the new Version 2.0 holotape is added.

Much of it will feel familiar. But noticeable changes are made. The "Hardware Subroutine" menu goes away.

It is removed because the new profile system takes it's place. In addition to this, many new Software Subroutines

are added. Most are just small SPECIAL stat buffs that can run alongside the profile system. Some are new capabilities

suitable to the upgraded Droid.

Version 1.0 gives you access to only the Thermal Imaging, Twilight Mode, and Power Core Shielding subroutines.

Version 2.0 adds to that, by allowing you to "overclock" individual SPECIAL stats.

For this reason, the Cognitive Accelerator is now available ONLY to the Civilian Profile. Each of the remaining profiles

utilize their own "profile specific" Accelerators. suited to their specific profile.

Version 2.0 also adds the Refraction Field which requires the Stealthboy component. The Refraction Field may ONLY

be run while also running the Infiltrator Profile, but DOES NOT consume the Stealthboy. Again, as noted earlier, Version

2.0 removes MOST of the Version 1.0 consumable requirements, BUT, replaces them with a single "persistent" item which

MUST be in your inventory to activate it's corresponding subroutine. Some consumables remain. Like lead for the Power

Core Shielding I'll list these in greater detail here later, and on the information portal on the holotape in the game.

And for a side-note: the Infiltrator and Civilian profiles have been scrubbed of their armor/clothing requirements,

allowing you to load them while wearing whatever you like.

With this much work completed, I now feel a LOT more comfortable posting some screenshots in my next post

sometime tomorrow.

So stay tuned.....

Trykz