Vampire Disease

View File

This plugin, as a master file, attempts to correct an oversight within Oblivion by allowing NPCs to catch the dreaded disease Porphyric Hemophilia. In essence, NPCs may now become infected and become Vampires.  As its function solely handles transmission, it doesn't handle NPC behavior nor includes companion-styled reactions or commands.

There are two methods in which the player may infect an NPC,  and give them the dreaded vampire disease.  The first is by way of the nighttime visits where the player takes blood from a sleeping victim. The second means is by way of having sex with the participant.

This mod was made as a master plugin, and can be run independent of Lovers with PK. But it may detect the LAPF system to apply the disease through sex, whether or not the player is involved.  NPC to NPC transmission is possible, just so as long as one is a vampire and the other is not.

Consideration made to the 'Carrier' MBP race which is immune to the disease. And obviously, no creatures can be infected.

No special effect, changes to Vampirism skills or attack methods were made.  And nothing was made to increase the vampires/decrease the victim's HP as some may have expected. Only the attachment of a script to the Vanilla VampDisease skill was made.

The test system used to determine vampirism (either player or NPC) was made to be adaptable to non-vanilla vampire mods.  Further work may be possible to allow more adaptability.

NPCs that have contracted the Vampire Disease may actively be cured before the full onset of Vampirism takes hold.  As the player may visit a temple and worship/pray for a cure, so too can an NPC visit these temples.  The system cannot determine if an NPC prays, so merely detecting if the NPC has entered the temple is enough.

Meanwhile, giving the Cure for Vampirism potion to an NPC with the disease will effectively remove the disease (and issue a GULP sound).  The system recognizes the Vanilla Vampire Cure Potion as an effective cure for the disease, but also includes a copy of the potion which can trigger the curing effect just in case.  The Vanilla Cure is, afterall, a quest item and not normally able to be given to NPCs.

Tokens are available and listed within the Readme, if one wishes to make further adaptive scripts such as something where a vampire may ask a friend for a nibble. ;)

Edited by LongDukDong
Version 1.1

True.  However, this was designed as a 'master' file that solely handles transmission of the affliction and its effects alone.  It doesn't handle NPC behavior nor companion-styled reactions or commands.

Technically, one could write a variant of that vampirism mod or an adaptive patch.  This to eliminate the automatic spell effect while tying in the behavioral changes on NPC vampiric conversion... assuming the player was the vampire's sire.

But this is left to the designer. :)

NOTE:  It has come to my attention that some mods protect specific NPCs from violence and/or damage effects.  This by way of having custom scripts that control the behavior of these NPCs.  (Example:  Damage detected == NPC temporarily disabled for 1 hour... returned next hour)  In these cases, sunlight damage may present issues with NPCs (such as them vanishing until sundown).  And the transmission of the stock VampDisease spell effect would present issues as well.  Fortunately, the VampDisease spell effect actually passes a non-hostile 'object' into the would-be vampire, and THIS is at least a bypass to such NPC protections.   Such a mod is Children of Cyrodiil by Emma, an 'Oblivion' version of her earlier Children of Morrowind mod.

FANGY BITE

to version 1.1

NPCs that have contracted the Vampire Disease may actively be cured before the full onset of Vampirism takes hold.  As the player may visit a temple and worship/pray for a cure, so too can an NPC visit these temples.  The system cannot determine if an NPC prays, so merely detecting if the NPC has entered the temple is enough.

Meanwhile, giving the Cure for Vampirism potion to an NPC with the disease will effectively remove the disease (and issue a GULP sound).  The system recognizes the Vanilla Vampire Cure Potion as an effective cure for the disease, but also includes a copy of the potion which can trigger the curing effect just in case.  The Vanilla Cure is, afterall, a quest item and not normally able to be given to NPCs.

That could be problematic given that this too changes VampDisease "Porphyric Hemophilia" [SPEL:0003DB3D] by adding a scripted effect.  This scripted effect adds a vampire transmission token to the NPC, said token counting down the days until the full onset of Vampirism takes hold.... or erasing the token if the NPC is cured or enters a Chapel.

I am not sure which Vampire mods do, in fact, alter VampDisease.  SpreadingVampirism is rather blasé in that it just casts a spell (boring) on a target, and Unholy Darkness uses its own techiques, neither of which touching VampDisease.

I will like to point out that it does not alter any of the default/vanilla scripts, including VampireScript [SCRT:0003DB3C].  All scripts within are completely custom.  The only thing touched within this mod is, in fact, VampDisease alone. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, a technique could be devised.  The reason I needed to use tokens and such was to allow tracking of days after transmission for the vampirism to manifest.  Certainly, a system could be made that wouldn't require such elaborate facets, merely by attaching tests (DOES X HAVE DISEASE?  YES?  ROLL CHANCE  GIVE Y DISEASE IF NOT ALREADY DISEASED).

But that is a separate topic.

• 2 months later...

RESTART/RELOAD REPAIR

to version 1.2

There was an issue for those who may use certain systems that check NPC Vampire conditions.  When this mod begins execution, it did not appropriately 'exit' from its game-start protocols and incidentally may have applied some vampiric test flags by accident.  So for those mods that test these conditions, I went back and corrected this issue.  So now, the mod's start will now properly exit and restart the main quest script... to ensure vampire conditions are NOT applied to the non-vampiric NPC by accident.

Meanwhile, I added a new feature and quest option...

Why the hell in Tamriel is it that vampires are hostile towards you and not each other when encountered... when you too are a vampire?

With as little intrusion into the mechanics of vanilla-Oblivion, I added a new custom PC Vampire faction which will be added to the player when it's determined the player is indeed a vampire, and remove it when the player is not.  And with that, the vampire faction will have an increase in disposition of 60 towards the player and not be hostile.  This is merely optional of course, by using the command:

set xVampireDisease.Faction to 1

It is unfortunate that most vampires do not allow 'yield' when engaged in attacks as I would have preferred a lower disposition setting and be able to break off combat. But that would require more extensive work and an overhaul on the NPCs themseelves, and that I sincerely was not to do.

And the Vampire Disease itself now does not apply fatigue onto the infected, this as the effect was found to have certain disastrous results  upon some NPCs  within some custom mods that I had encountered.  And a mere 5pt fatigue wasn't all that noticeable anyway.

• 4 months later...
On 6/19/2022 at 11:24 AM, LongDukDong said:

Why the hell in Tamriel is it that vampires are hostile towards you and not each other when encountered... when you too are a vampire?

Because they are part of the clan while you are not.   The Clan system was cut from Oblivion before it went anywhere.  Probably because they didn't want to make kids cry with the Morrowind-undead-monster-that-can't-talk-to-anyone but mages, weirdos living in 'shrooms, and clan members gambit.

• 2 weeks later...

When you are infected by a strain of vampirism, your strain denotes your clan.   Succumbing to a Selenu vampire from the Iliac Bay means that you are Selenu and not of the strain of clan of either Khulari also of the Bay, or Morrowind's Aundae or any other strain.  So I would point out that... yes... there is ONE clan in Cyrodiil, as that was established as canon.  Only that the clan's name was lost to time.  Hell, there's the Volkihar which rules Skyrim... one clan.  But clans are not abandoned as it is indeed part of the lore.

My one gripe is that Vicente Valtieri contracted his vampirism in Vvardenfell, so he is either Quarra, Berne or Aundae and shouldn't pass Cyrodillic vampirism.

Meanwhile...

MOD-CREATOR UPDATES

to version 1.3

Basically, anything I updated and added is for future modding.  Yes, basically all the stuff I added is for those who wish to develop future vampire mods with this as a backbone masterfile.

First, there are tokens that have been added to actually prevent an NPC from succumbing to the vampire disease. One is a general 'hidden' token, while two are pieces of silver jewelry that the NPC must actually wear. By that, merely having the 'Necklace of Beolfag Warding' or 'Band of Molag's Bane' in their inventory is not enough. 

For the unaware, Beolfag is a reference to Lamae Beolfag, the maiden that Molag Bal raped and bestowed her the first case of vampirism.

And working on a very.... entertaining... system, I discovered that you cannot have vampire NPCs drink the vanilla Humam Blood.  Well, you can, but the Player/PC actually heals up and drops down in the degree of vampirism.  So I did a couple of things.  ONE, I made a Fake Blood item and scripts to swap between fake and real blood depending on the Player or NPC holding.   And TWO, I made a set of mod-accessing scripts that can reduce or increase the degree of vampirism for those modders who want to set up packages that let them suffer or lose their gaunt appearance.

But it won't un-age them.  So a hag with wrinkles that loses her vampiric sunken cheese still has the wrinkles. 

• 4 weeks later...

AFFLICTION AND CURATIVE REPAIRS

to version 1.4

There were issues with the system that allowed NPCs protection from vampirism if they had worn certain pieces of jewelry. The manner in which the system was coded was not correct, and this broke the system that ran the code which would apply vampirism to an NPC after three days.

In helping me with this repair, more debug-code messages were added.

Meanwhile, it was discovered that the hidden token that applies vampirism was incorrectly being added to existing vampires.  This too had to be corrected, and was done quite easily.

And as towards the protective jewelry, two more pieces of jewelry have been added to the mix... 

The Amulet of Arkay is currently a gold jeweled necklace, this using the name of a necklace found in Skyrim. And like the one from Skyrim, it gives a slight boost to one's health.  Of the Nine Divines, this one was chosen as legend states that Molag Bal raped and converted a priestess of Arkay to mock Arkay himself.

Of the second piece of jewelry, it is a Crucifix.  The reason for this... if anyone chose to make some manner of mod where vampires and crosses do not mix.

No graphics were included for the jewelry as I leave that to modders.

• 1 year later...

TIME TO UPDATE

to version 1.5

There was an issue to fix, that being where NPCs walking into any chapel did not get cured.  This was annoying, and needed to receive a fix.  And a fix, it did receive.

A pair of simple toggles were added, one that changed the way the default Vampire faction looks at the vanilla PlayerVampire faction.  With this, you need not use the custom PlayerxVampire faction. And the other removes/returns the 'Evil' flag from the Vampire faction itself. The second option is more of a token effect as most character dispositions are based upon the faction, and not the Evil flag itself.

And lastly, a new feature was added  so the player, as a vampire, may suffer and burn while within the main chambers of any vanilla Chapel in Cheydinhal. The player may not suffer whilst within any chapel undercroft, but making their way through the halls to the undercroft will be painful.

• 1 month later...

You talked about strains before, do this mod adds different strains? Been thinking about maing a legacy(character I play through multiple games) and it would b e nice to be able to play as an aundae vampire

I am afraid not.

Technically, Morrowind merely separated the Aundae, Quarra and Berne (dang, why is it so hard to remember the Berne that I have to google it!?) clans by faction.  That would be doable... as a possible 'add-on'. 

Mind you, I do have some things in mind for an update to handle possible victim health damage which may feed into a sort of limited 'embrace'-based verbal feeding mod.  It would use THIS as a dependent as this master's intent is to be the base without (hopefully) changing the already established mechanics for the player.

"which may feed into a sort of" --- Yes, I said that.  Sorry.  Not sorry.