Persona 5 (rpcs3) modding

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, KABOU said:

So long as the localizers keep the original idea or, better yet, fix the original translation to be more along with the Japanese version, I'll play. Otherwise, I'll wait until a mod comes up that restores it back to the original.

It's just a port man. It's not "Persona 5: Even more Royal" or something. At best, it'll be the exact same as the PS4 version.
It'll be neat to see mods for Sumi though.

16 hours ago, KABOU said:

So long as the localizers keep the original idea or, better yet, fix the original translation to be more along with the Japanese version, I'll play. Otherwise, I'll wait until a mod comes up that restores it back to the original.

game's been out since 2016, nobody is retranslating the entire game just so you can "play" it

On 6/14/2022 at 12:09 PM, PepeLordd said:

game's been out since 2016, nobody is retranslating the entire game just so you can "play" it

I'm not expecting that. But one of the porting staff has some bad tendencies of taking Japanese mediums and applying their ideologies. 

So, basically, my thought process here is more akind to "so long as that localizer keeps to themselves, I'll buy the game again."

Edited by KABOU
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the initial version working on a real PS3 (CFW). I replaced the cache.cpk with a self-built compressed cpk containing the mod files. I tried the v3 version real quick but didn't notice any change at the menu screen. I'm guessing v3 isn't always nude...

@jmedia7 What does v3 equate to? low res and bikini-only? Or something else? Also, what exactly differs from the original version? 

I'm going to do more testing and see if v3 will work on my PS3.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, this is incredible work you've done here, and thank you for making it and sharing with the rest of us. It will definitely make my next replay more interesting.

It would be really cool if someone could make nude bustups to go with these.

Okay, instead of just saying it would be cool if someone did it, I decided to give making an edit of the portraits a try using the regular (non-4k) portrait from royals. Used the swimsuit one as the base, since she has a swimsuit variant for most (maybe all?) of her poses. Not sure how I did. I feel like I'm being a bit critical on it because I can notice where my brush strokes are still when I look at it.

If I can figure out how, I may make all the edits to the girls and pack them into a mod.

side by side ex.png

23 hours ago, midday said:

Okay, instead of just saying it would be cool if someone did it, I decided to give making an edit of the portraits a try using the regular (non-4k) portrait from royals. Used the swimsuit one as the base, since she has a swimsuit variant for most (maybe all?) of her poses. Not sure how I did. I feel like I'm being a bit critical on it because I can notice where my brush strokes are still when I look at it.

If I can figure out how, I may make all the edits to the girls and pack them into a mod.

side by side ex.png

It looks good so far, but make sure you use Photoshop's pen tool to get cleaner lines. Use it for line art, and also use it to make selections and in combination with the eraser tool, you can get crisp and clean cel shading. Then, just use blur/blend/low strength brush tool for color blending, which they don't really use much in P5 portraits.

21 hours ago, Garnet Dawn said:

It looks good so far, but make sure you use Photoshop's pen tool to get cleaner lines. Use it for line art, and also use it to make selections and in combination with the eraser tool, you can get crisp and clean cel shading. Then, just use blur/blend/low strength brush tool for color blending, which they don't really use much in P5 portraits.

Thanks, I also thought of the blend tool after posting that one. I appreciate the advice on using the pen tool. I was using the brush as my main for that first image, and I feel the pen tool worked better. The next set came out better than that first attempt did, I think.

So far, I've found that there are 162 files holding Ann's array of expressions, but thankfully so far (I've only looked through around 40 but here's hoping) there are only these 3 body poses for the portrait. Other thing I've noticed is the files for the expression change on the right image are blank in every version I've seen of that pose, so either there's an error in the conversion or that pose doesn't have an expression change at all when it's called upon. 

Anyone see any glaring error or a particular spot on these edits that can be improved upon before I begin the process of applying the change to all of the files?

Edit: I made the shadow on the right one's shoulder more rounded instead of as sharp as it is

b004_303_00.PNG

Edited by midday
On 8/10/2022 at 6:30 AM, midday said:

Thanks, I also thought of the blend tool after posting that one. I appreciate the advice on using the pen tool. I was using the brush as my main for that first image, and I feel the pen tool worked better. The next set came out better than that first attempt did, I think.

So far, I've found that there are 162 files holding Ann's array of expressions, but thankfully so far (I've only looked through around 40 but here's hoping) there are only these 3 body poses for the portrait. Other thing I've noticed is the files for the expression change on the right image are blank in every version I've seen of that pose, so either there's an error in the conversion or that pose doesn't have an expression change at all when it's called upon. 

Anyone see any glaring error or a particular spot on these edits that can be improved upon before I begin the process of applying the change to all of the files?

Edit: I made the shadow on the right one's shoulder more rounded instead of as sharp as it is

b004_303_00.PNG

Definitely looks cleaner than your first try! Good job!

Just to save your time, if the sprite has an identical pose, just copy over the face/head. As long as there isn't any apparent clothing in the way that you'd have to edit, you could just do that instead of redoing the nude body every time; but I'm sure that's what you're already doing. I thought I'd mention it anyway in case this slipped your mind. I'd help you out with this project but I've got full time work and zero free time to tackle this unfortunately.

That is how I have been doing it, but I do appreciate the advice because if I hadn't been, then this project would take even longer than it has been. I've completed 103 out of 162 of Ann's image changes thus far. I would be further along but I noticed a couple spots that needed to be touched up on a couple of the base poses that I had been using, so I went back and checked every one that I had done already to fix them. I also then decided to let Ann keep her various pieces of jewelry that distinguished certain portraits of hers (e.g. the red hair clip and necklace that's on some of her portraits or her red earrings). I've also made 2 separate versions of her winter files. 1 has her completely naked like the others, and the other has her naked except for the earmuffs she put on (because I just find it kind of funny to think about her getting cold with the season change but only deciding to put on earmuffs instead of anything more substantial).

There are also some portraits of her in cat ears (from their totally not-Disney trip) that I'm thinking of doing the same thing I've done with the winter files, so there will eventually be 2 different image sets when I'm done (one with headwear accessories and one without).

Once I'm done with Ann, I'll have finished the character with the most files (second most goes to Kasumi with 158 - everyone else has like 40+ fewer files).  Not sure who I'll attempt to do next. But that's where I'm at with this. 

edit:

Down to just 19 files for Ann left. Turns out I was wrong earlier when I thought she had 3 distinct poses. There's actually 4 but the fourth doesn't come up often. Unfortunately, there isn't a swimsuit variant of that pose to make it easy. So, maybe by Monday, I'll have Ann's edits completed.

I attached the last pose I'm working with below and the variant of it

b004_805_00.png

b004_122_00.png

Edited by midday

Okay, so I wasn't sure on this one, but I tried to consolidate the two above into one. It's not great, though. It's still a work in progress. I feel like the right breast needs more details added to it, maybe a nipple(?). I'm definitely open to advice. Same thing with the left armpit. It comes from the tank top picture above. I don't know if I should just remove it entirely or if some other change should be applied to that area, so it doesn't stick out as much. Anyone have any suggestions?

Once I get this taken care of, I should be able to finish off Ann's files relatively soon afterwards.

b004_805_00 (WIP).png