[SOLVED] MO2 just runs and then quits, never apparently running Skyrim at all? Check for .NET Downloadable Runtime

Wallpaper-kitten.jpg.34f9e4fdeb7842f4fdb5b9ab86d0f2b3.jpg

But go watch this

TL;DR Try downloading the .NET 5.0 Runtime

Sunday (30 January) I had a HDD crash; C drive on Windows.  My Steam games, Skyrim, MO2 and associated files were not on C.  I had a backup; but it was a year old.  I installed backup on new drive (using Linux and Clonezilla! *teabags Microsoft*), got Windows and other Steam games working.  (and then the Windows 'up'dates came...)  Alas, not Skyrim...

I suspect that I forgot to do one small thing, that I did long ago... but I don't know what.

I use ModOrganizer2.  I didn't change anything while it wasn't booting Windows.  It worked fine Sunday before the crash.  

Now... I click 'run Skyrim via SKSE' and MO2 builds its virtual filesystem, flashes a small black window for a second like normal, shows the 'MO2 is locked while process XXXX is running' message, and.... then it stops, unlocks MO2, and pretends nothing happened.

mo_interface.log (centered around the interesting time):

Spoiler

[2022-02-01 16:40:46.987 D] process tree:
[2022-02-01 16:40:46.987 D]     skse64_loader.exe, pid=10212, ppid=12620
[2022-02-01 16:40:46.987 D] waiting for completion on skse64_loader.exe (10212), strong interest
[2022-02-01 16:40:47.282 D] process 10212 completed
[2022-02-01 16:40:47.296 D] process tree:
[2022-02-01 16:40:47.296 D]     SkyrimSE.exe, pid=3044, ppid=10212
[2022-02-01 16:40:47.296 D] waiting for completion on SkyrimSE.exe (3044), strong interest
[2022-02-01 16:41:00.384 D] process 3044 completed
[2022-02-01 16:41:00.384 D] nothing to wait for
[2022-02-01 16:41:00.386 D] process runner: refreshing because the process completed
[2022-02-01 16:41:00.386 D] refreshing structure

There's about a 13.1 second 'gap' there, in which I see it create a small black window for half a second or less; otherwise, nothing is visible.

No .NetScriptFramework log is generated.

No Papyrus log is generated.

Windows Firewall is disabled.  Other firewall allows MO2 and Steam as exceptions allowed to poke holes in the firewall.

I moved my 1.5.97 version away, downloaded all 11.25Gb of the 1.6 version via Steam, then changed filenames to replace 1.5.97 - no change in behavior.

It seems to run normally via Steam (no mods). 

It seems to run normally via SKSE_loader (no mods).

It seems to run normally via MO2 if a profile with no mods is used

I don't have an MO2 profile without 550 mod-plugins ('tis feast or famine...)

I have removed or reverted every change I made in MO2 (I think...) to mods since Saturday (day before crash). Did not fix.

I tried switching Skyrim, SKSE, and MO2 to 'Run as Administrator'.  Did not fix.

I downloaded the freshest VisualC++ Redistributable, which is 2015-2022.  Did not fix.

NVidia Control Panel -> 3D -> Max performance instead of Powersaving.  Did not fix.

Using Steam to 'verify' game files failed miserably, requiring me to restore my SkyrimSE folder from backup. (which I already had, hahahaha *teabags Microsoft*)

This did look a little different; SKSE complained that it couldn't find SkyrimSE.exe, because the 'Steam Verify' erased it or something.  WTF Steam?

(Re)installed the June 2010 DirectX Redistributable.  Did not fix.

What else should I try?  Anyone?  

The same thing happened here, but @Distortedrealms got theirs working, and I haven't got mine working.

Edited by qalavix
resolved. Now I'm gonna go kill people. And giant spiders.

Still don't have the damned thing running with mods.

It DOES run via skse64_loader.exe if run from the "Skyrim Special Edition" folder.

It DOES run via MO2 running skse64_loader.exe if no mods are loaded.

d3dx9_42.log

Spoiler

skse64 plugin preloader - d3dx9_42
exe path: G:\Programs\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimSE.exe
loaded into SkyrimSE.exe or SkyrimVR.exe, proxying SkyrimSE d3dx9_42 funcs and registering preload hook
success
hook triggered, loading skse plugins
failed to search skse plugin directory
attempting to load found plugins
loader finished

According to the source code, lines 158-203, it looks like something is barfing?

Edited by qalavix
  • qalavix changed the title to [SE] Still not running with mods (via MO2)

could you check again your skyrimSE version also binkw64.dll for se 1.5 or bink2w64.dll for se /ae 1.6   and also skse version .

in your log look at lines 126 to 132  a load library has crashed it might be address library !   install ' address library ' from nexus according to your skyrim version .

Skyrim seems to be 1.5.97; size of SkyrimSE.exe is 34,769,792 bytes ('on disk' size reported as 34,770,994 bytes)

The file is binkw64.dll , not bink2w64.dll

Address Library For DLL Functions is installed, and it's the version for 1.5 (version '2'), not 1.6 (version '5')

19 hours ago, coolfreaky said:

in your log look at lines 126 to 132  a load library has crashed it might be address library !   

Which log?

I took the no-mods profile, added Address Library, powerofthree's Papyrus Extender, SkyUI, and Survival AIO; this DOES RUN (and, dear gods I dislike vanilla Skyrim...). So I think I've got the correct versions of Skyrim, Address Library, etc.  MO2 kindly* took my carefully arranged left-pane order and put it into a blender so I've no idea where anything is except by alphabetical sort. 

* that was sarcasm

Edited by qalavix
  • qalavix changed the title to [SE] How can I remove these tentacles from my buxom babe?
  • qalavix changed the title to [SOLVED] MO2 just runs and then quits, never apparently running Skyrim at all? Check for .NET Downloadable Runtime