[2022] Is Nemesis not an option if I want to keep creature animations?

Hi, I tried many times in 2021 to make Fnis-Creature work with nemesis, as there are many cool stuff in nemesis, and Fnis stops being supported .. 

But I just can not get them right, I tried all the methods in LL and still creature sex is broken.

I wanted to know if this has been the case for you guys, or there is an established solution for Fnis-Creature + Nemesis?

Should I still stick to FNis, if I want creature sex content?

• 4 months later...

I do run both.

7 minutes ago, PHSummoner364 said:

It definitely IS an option. The only downside is that you can say bye to falmer/draugrs animations. Other than that, no problem.
You just first run fins, then run nemesis. That's it. 

Well, not bye bye, but you'll have to chose wich one will handle those. You can backup FNIS output for those two and overwrite Nemesis one.

• 3 months later...

I use both FNIS and Nemesis side-by-side (well, technically Nemesis overrides FNIS), and though it takes a little bit of tweaking, it runs fine. Nemesis includes a dummy FNIS plugin that satisfies dependencies, and then Nemesis takes over the animation handling. The trick is getting things organized in your data folder in a way that makes it happy. The abstract is to run FNIS first, copy its animations somewhere else, run Nemesis, and then copy the FNIS-specific animations back into the data folder, overwriting whichever files Nemesis deployed (but merged with the others that it created which FNIS didn't). Effectively, just mash it all together with preference for the FNIS files.

To streamline that, I wrote myself a little PowerShell script (at the end of the post; compatible with the Steam version of Skyrim SE on 64-bit Windows) that might be helpful, especially if you add/remove animations frequently and don't want to to spend so much time copying/dragging folders. The script is fairly readable if you know a little bit about PowerShell, but to explain it: it detects your Steam installation folder so it can find the Skyrim data directory, sets up a temporary directory to hold files, copies all of the FNIS animations except for the "character" and "human" categories to the temporary directory, prompts you to run Nemesis (and waits for the Enter key to continue), and then copies the FNIS animations back into the data directory, overwriting any Nemesis animations in the way.

So, if you're integrating this into your workflow, you'd do this each time you install new animations:

1. Run "GenerateFNISForUsers.exe" (FNIS button in most mod managers), and click "Update FNIS Behavior".*
  2. Exit the program and then run the PowerShell script, either in PowerShell ISE or by executing the script.
  3. When prompted, run "Nemesis Unlimited Behavior Engine.exe" (Nemesis button in most mod managers), click "Update Engine", and then click "Launch Nemesis Behavior Engine".**
  4. Once Nemesis is done, close it and return to the script, and press Enter/Return. It will copy the FNIS animations back to the Skyrim data directory, and then cleans up its temp files.
  5. Launch Skyrim and get nasty with all the critters you like.

* Every once in a while, especially if you've uninstalled any creature animation packs, it can be good to click the "De-Install Creatures" button to clean up the FNIS animation directory. This isn't strictly necessary but if you're having problems, it's something to try.

** If you have several tens of thousands of animations, Nemesis can often crash while organizing them. If the program closes while generating behaviors, just re-open it and run it again; you don't have to start over from step 1.

$Steam_Dir = (Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Valve\Steam" -Name "InstallPath" -ErrorAction Stop).InstallPath
$Actors_Folder = "$Steam_Dir\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Meshes\actors"
$Temp_Folder = "$env:localappdata\Temp"
$FNIS_Temp = "$Temp_Folder\FNIS_Temp"
$Exclusions = @("character","human")

Remove-Item "$FNIS_Temp" -Recurse -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
New-Item -Path "$Temp_Folder" -Name "FNIS_Temp" -ItemType "directory" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
Write-Host "Copying FNIS animations to temporary directory (this can take some time)..."
Copy-Item -Path $Actors_Folder\* -Recurse -Destination $FNIS_Temp -Exclude $Exclusions -Force
Write-Host "Done. Please run Nemesis."
Read-Host "Press ENTER to continue after Nemesis has been run..."
Write-Host "Beginning copy back to data folder..."
Copy-Item -Path $FNIS_Temp\* -Recurse -Destination "$Actors_Folder" -Exclude $Exclusions -Force -ErrorAction Stop
Write-Host "Done. Removing temporary folder..."
Remove-Item "$FNIS_Temp" -Recurse
Write-Host "Done. Enjoy!"

Edited by meatslinger
On 10/17/2022 at 11:35 AM, meatslinger said:

I use both FNIS and Nemesis side-by-side (well, technically Nemesis overrides FNIS), and though it takes a little bit of tweaking, it runs fine. Nemesis includes a dummy FNIS plugin that satisfies dependencies, and then Nemesis takes over the animation handling. The trick is getting things organized in your data folder in a way that makes it happy. The abstract is to run FNIS first, copy its animations somewhere else, run Nemesis, and then copy the FNIS-specific animations back into the data folder, overwriting whichever files Nemesis deployed (but merged with the others that it created which FNIS didn't). Effectively, just mash it all together with preference for the FNIS files.

To streamline that, I wrote myself a little PowerShell script (at the end of the post; compatible with the Steam version of Skyrim SE on 64-bit Windows) that might be helpful, especially if you add/remove animations frequently and don't want to to spend so much time copying/dragging folders. The script is fairly readable if you know a little bit about PowerShell, but to explain it: it detects your Steam installation folder so it can find the Skyrim data directory, sets up a temporary directory to hold files, copies all of the FNIS animations except for the "character" and "human" categories to the temporary directory, prompts you to run Nemesis (and waits for the Enter key to continue), and then copies the FNIS animations back into the data directory, overwriting any Nemesis animations in the way.

So, if you're integrating this into your workflow, you'd do this each time you install new animations:

1. Run "GenerateFNISForUsers.exe" (FNIS button in most mod managers), and click "Update FNIS Behavior".*
  2. Exit the program and then run the PowerShell script, either in PowerShell ISE or by executing the script.
  3. When prompted, run "Nemesis Unlimited Behavior Engine.exe" (Nemesis button in most mod managers), click "Update Engine", and then click "Launch Nemesis Behavior Engine".**
  4. Once Nemesis is done, close it and return to the script, and press Enter/Return. It will copy the FNIS animations back to the Skyrim data directory, and then cleans up its temp files.
  5. Launch Skyrim and get nasty with all the critters you like.

* Every once in a while, especially if you've uninstalled any creature animation packs, it can be good to click the "De-Install Creatures" button to clean up the FNIS animation directory. This isn't strictly necessary but if you're having problems, it's something to try.

** If you have several tens of thousands of animations, Nemesis can often crash while organizing them. If the program closes while generating behaviors, just re-open it and run it again; you don't have to start over from step 1.

$Steam_Dir = (Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Valve\Steam" -Name "InstallPath" -ErrorAction Stop).InstallPath
$Actors_Folder = "$Steam_Dir\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Meshes\actors"
$Temp_Folder = "$env:localappdata\Temp"
$FNIS_Temp = "$Temp_Folder\FNIS_Temp"
$Exclusions = @("character","human")

Remove-Item "$FNIS_Temp" -Recurse -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
New-Item -Path "$Temp_Folder" -Name "FNIS_Temp" -ItemType "directory" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
Write-Host "Copying FNIS animations to temporary directory (this can take some time)..."
Copy-Item -Path $Actors_Folder\* -Recurse -Destination $FNIS_Temp -Exclude $Exclusions -Force
Write-Host "Done. Please run Nemesis."
Read-Host "Press ENTER to continue after Nemesis has been run..."
Write-Host "Beginning copy back to data folder..."
Copy-Item -Path $FNIS_Temp\* -Recurse -Destination "$Actors_Folder" -Exclude $Exclusions -Force -ErrorAction Stop
Write-Host "Done. Removing temporary folder..."
Remove-Item "$FNIS_Temp" -Recurse
Write-Host "Done. Enjoy!"

Nice