MO2 and The link to Data Folder

Are there just just files that is a MUST go into the data folder? AAF and MCM folders just to name a few? I will install a Mod into MO2 and it will show and plug-ins will show. But then in game no MCM option. So then I end up moving MCM folders from these mods to data folder and it shows? Why does this happen?

Are there just just files that is a MUST go into the data folder? AAF and MCM folders just to name a few? I will install a Mod into MO2 and it will show and plug-ins will show. But then in game no MCM option. So then I end up moving MCM folders from these mods to data folder and it shows? Why does this happen?

Edited by Two Bucks

When installing let’s say AAF add ons. There’s the AAF folder already in the data folder. So when adding more items that have an AAF folder..do I drag the entire AAF folder to the data AAF folder or open it and drag the contents? Same for Interface Folder or Texture,Mesh etc..Sometimes I drag it and it only will show the contents of the folder and sometimes it will show the original folder plus content. (AAF,AAF, Animations) happens with Data folder all the time. Showing Data,Data then folder contents. When dragging to the data folder am I just suppose  to fully open the contents all the way before dragging over to the appropriate folder. And why would I have to do any of this if the mod is showing installed through MO2 and sometimes actually in game menu.  I find myself still having to place in data folder which then takes the mod from managed to unmanaged whatever that means 

1 hour ago, Two Bucks said:

When installing let’s say AAF add ons. There’s the AAF folder already in the data folder. So when adding more items that have an AAF folder..do I drag the entire AAF folder to the data AAF folder or open it and drag the contents? Same for Interface Folder or Texture,Mesh etc..Sometimes I drag it and it only will show the contents of the folder and sometimes it will show the original folder plus content. (AAF,AAF, Animations) happens with Data folder all the time. Showing Data,Data then folder contents. When dragging to the data folder am I just suppose  to fully open the contents all the way before dragging over to the appropriate folder. And why would I have to do any of this if the mod is showing installed through MO2 and sometimes actually in game menu.  I find myself still having to place in data folder which then takes the mod from managed to unmanaged whatever that means 

You installing mods manually? I highly recommend dont do that, I use vortex and alsways install mods via manager and never have problems, but for some mods like f4se you should install manually because they go not into /data folder but into base game

Well Im not trying too but MO2 even though it shows everything on the left and right side..in the game not everything works. I don’t understand why. Whether it’s an animation or a mesh or texture. Not all the time but enough to make me ask the question. I don’t understand why. 

Edited by Two Bucks

So you’re saying outside of f4se and no matter the mod there shouldn’t be a real reason to put any mod on the data folder??? That seems impossible in my experience I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. My MCM options on 4 mods just never showed in game until I put them in the data folder I’m so confused 

2 hours ago, Two Bucks said:

So you’re saying outside of f4se and no matter the mod there shouldn’t be a real reason to put any mod on the data folder??? That seems impossible in my experience I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. My MCM options on 4 mods just never showed in game until I put them in the data folder I’m so confused 

Generally what you do is this for mods on LoversLab when using Mod Organizer 2:

- Download the mod's zip archive

- In Mod Organizer 2 menu, click File -> Install Mod

- The Choose Mod explorer opens

- Locate the mod in your download folder

- Click the mod's zip file and click Open

You don't need to manually unzip anything unless the mod author directs you to do so from their download page, which would be extremely rare.  The installed mod will show up on the left hand side.  You will need to then click the checkbox to enable it.  If the mod has a "plugin" it will then show up on the right hand side.  Plugin files also have their own checkbox.

Check the Mod Organizer website for tutorials and documentation so that you can become more familiar with how to use it: https://www.modorganizer.org/

Edited by Marg597
9 hours ago, Marg597 said:

You don't need to manually unzip anything unless the mod author directs you to do so from their download page, which would be extremely rare.  The installed mod will show up on the left hand side.  You will need to then click the checkbox to enable it.  If the mod has a "plugin" it will then show up on the right hand side.  Plugin files also have their own checkbox.

Check the Mod Organizer website for tutorials and documentation so that you can become more familiar with how to use it: https://www.modorganizer.org/

thanks for this

10 hours ago, Marg597 said:

something you said..  click the mod zip file.... when i click it it opens and shows the file... and then you said i dont need to manually unzip... so whats the difference between me clicking the stack of books icon to open the file and unzipping?? i thought that was unzipping. are you saying i can drag that stack of books icon just over to mod while in MO2? 

10 minutes ago, Two Bucks said:

Are you saying I can just drag this whole thing over to the fold in MO2 or click on this. And drag Whats inside over?

No.  That won't work.  Please read carefully what I said, I'll paste it again here and add a few words to clarify.  And again, these instructions pertain only to mods not found on the Nexus.  For mods on the Nexus you can connect Mod Organizer up so that you can install the mods in a slightly different way which I'm not going to go into.  Check the documentation for that.

- Download the mod's zip archive.  (Usually this places the mod into your "Downloads" folder unless you have changed the location where your browser downloads files)

- The "Choose Mod" explorer window opens

- Single Left mouse Click the mod's zip file to Select it and click the Open button at the bottom right corner of the explorer window.

Please please please go here and read the documentation :) https://www.modorganizer.org There's videos and everything.

Edited by Marg597

I will leave your last question to Marg597.  

I just wanted to say AAF works perfectly fine installed within MO2.  You do not need to manually install it.

"Oops.  Marg597 answered before I could get my post out.

Read this guide here on LL for anything AAF related:

[AAF Fucking Manual] Up-To-Date Adult oriented setup guide (1/October/2021) - Advanced Animation Framework - LoversLab

The only mods manually installed within the game directories are F4SE, ENB, Buffout and its dependencies.  There are a few other possibilities but you would be directed by the Mod Author to do so.  All other mods are handled by MO2 and will work perfectly fine.  You may have a load order issue.  That is probably why some of the mods are not showing up in the MCM, if they have an MCM component.

Edited by Samuraitech
1 hour ago, Marg597 said:

No.  That won't work.  Please read carefully what I said, I'll paste it again here and add a few words to clarify.  And again, these instructions pertain only to mods not found on the Nexus.  For mods on the Nexus you can connect Mod Organizer up so that you can install the mods in a slightly different way which I'm not going to go into.  Check the documentation for that.

- Download the mod's zip archive.  (Usually this places the mod into your "Downloads" folder unless you have changed the location where your browser downloads files)

- The "Choose Mod" explorer window opens

- Single Left mouse Click the mod's zip file to Select it and click the Open button at the bottom right corner of the explorer window.

Please please please go here and read the documentation :) https://www.modorganizer.org There's videos and everything.

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME!!! The pursuit of a perfect game is a trying journey lol

4 hours ago, Samuraitech said:

I will leave your last question to Marg597.  

I just wanted to say AAF works perfectly fine installed within MO2.  You do not need to manually install it.

"Oops.  Marg597 answered before I could get my post out.

Read this guide here on LL for anything AAF related:

[AAF Fucking Manual] Up-To-Date Adult oriented setup guide (1/October/2021) - Advanced Animation Framework - LoversLab

The only mods manually installed within the game directories are F4SE, ENB, Buffout and its dependencies.  There are a few other possibilities but you would be directed by the Mod Author to do so.  All other mods are handled by MO2 and will work perfectly fine.  You may have a load order issue.  That is probably why some of the mods are not showing up in the MCM, if they have an MCM component.

So load order isn’t auto worked out by MO2?? I didn’t know I could manually move mods on my list around. The MCM confusion is weird. It shows the mod and plug-in but in game not in the game options. But as soon as I move it to the data folder. Works as usual. This happens a lot for me. I try it the ways I read and see but in the end, I end up just moving things to the data folder and they all work. Reason for the thread because always my data folder is LOADED and then a mod conflicts and then I run into disabling to investigate issues because things are in the data folder and Ugh..just ends up a mess and a start over. 

10 minutes ago, Two Bucks said:

So load order isn’t auto worked out by MO2?? I didn’t know I could manually move mods on my list around. The MCM confusion is weird. It shows the mod and plug-in but in game not in the game options. But as soon as I move it to the data folder. Works as usual. This happens a lot for me. I try it the ways I read and see but in the end, I end up just moving things to the data folder and they all work. Reason for the thread because always my data folder is LOADED and then a mod conflicts and then I run into disabling to investigate issues because things are in the data folder and Ugh..just ends up a mess and a start over. 

Always use the mod manager to manage mods.  If you keep moving things into the data folder it's going to be such a mess.  That's the whole point of mod manager :)

I'm not sure wha MCM confusion you are talking about.  Some mods don't have MCM menus.  MCM isn't anywhere near as widely used as it is in Skyrim, for example.  Lots of Fallout mods were designed to use holotapes and ini files for configuration.  So if in doubt, and you can't find an MCM entry for a mod, check the mod description for how to configure it.  Usually the author will say something like, 'create the holotape at the chemistry lab'.

As for sorting load order, no, Mod Organizer does not have this built in.  You need to install and configure LOOT into the Mod Organizer.  Watch this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15KTuNALYwE

1 hour ago, Marg597 said:

Always use the mod manager to manage mods.  If you keep moving things into the data folder it's going to be such a mess.  That's the whole point of mod manager :)

I'm not sure wha MCM confusion you are talking about.  Some mods don't have MCM menus.  MCM isn't anywhere near as widely used as it is in Skyrim, for example.  Lots of Fallout mods were designed to use holotapes and ini files for configuration.  So if in doubt, and you can't find an MCM entry for a mod, check the mod description for how to configure it.  Usually the author will say something like, 'create the holotape at the chemistry lab'.

As for sorting load order, no, Mod Organizer does not have this built in.  You need to install and configure LOOT into the Mod Organizer.  Watch this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15KTuNALYwE

fml lol but okay haha. yes, my data folder would be disgusting by the end and im sick of it. Im about to fire this thing up and how everything shows. hope it works.. thanks and keep this thread close haha

Two Bucks

You mention that Mods, like AAF, will run in your game folders but not in MO2.

Here are some things to check, some of which were already mentioned.

Run the following as administrator.  

Modorganizer.exe

Fallout4.exe

Fallout4Launcher.exe

F4SE_loader.exe

Right-Click on each .exe file and go properties/compatibility.  Check "Run This Program As Administrator".

You may be having issues with Windows because these files do not have the proper priority or authorization to run.

Ensure your Anti-Virus, if installed, is not causing MO2 to shut down.  You might even try shutting it down for a bit if you have problems with MO2 or mods launching.

Have you added your executables correctly in MO2?  Select the icon that looks like gears.  That is for adding executables.

Spoiler

1331809682_MO2AddingExecutibles.jpg.c3a67879fdf630cccd3594f5a7dc5d38.jpg

Go to the icon in MO2 that looks liker gears.  Type F4SE in Title block.  Copy path of F4SE_loader.exe in binary and the FO4 game folder as shown under Start In.  Follow similar procedures for all other executables like you see in left side.

Spoiler

1398282712_MO2AddingExecutiblesLOOT.jpg.e25140269a533c7cd217f9db7179ba2c.jpg

I won't do all the others but I have shown LOOT because of the added commands in the Arguments block.

Spoiler

3257836_MO2ExecutiblesRunSelect.thumb.jpg.283206253d1fb77801ff744badd19f87.jpg

When you are done with this go to the right side of MO2 by the RUN button and you will be able to select and run the executables added.  After you have F4SE installed and the executable added in MO2, you will launch the game from now on via F4SE and NOT the FO4.exe or the Fallout4 Launcher.  

Spoiler

1127389209_AAFLeftPaneandPluginRightPane.thumb.jpg.2846605ba5436c7ea614d48d2b1e5e23.jpg

One of the mods you mentioned having issues with was AAF.  Ensure when you click on the mod in the left pane to activate it, that the plugin in the right pane activated.  If you select AAF in the left pane the plugin should highlight in purple on the right as shown. If the plugin is not activated this could explain why is was not showing up in your game.

Concerning Load order there is the left pane (Where the whole mod and its files are located) and the plugins in the right pane.  There is load order for both sides.  Less priority (Meaning not as important) is toward the top.  More priority is toward the bottom.  This is true for both sides.  So if a mod was all the way at the bottom it would have priority over all other mods above it.  Pay attention to colored highlights in MO2 left pane.  If you select a mod and other mods highlight in red, then that mod is being overwritten by those other mods.  If other mods are  green when particular mod is selected then that mod is  overwriting mods showing up in green.  Right-click mods in questions and select information/conflicts.  This will show what files are being overwritten files that are overwriting others.   This is why patches for a mod are just below the main mod in load order because the patches need to overwrite the original. 

LOOT is a utility that will help sort plugins in the right pane, but it will not sort the order of the mods in the left pane.  You need to learn to do that yourself.  There are many guides you may refer to in help on this.  When you change the load order of a mod on the left, just select the mod hold the left mouse button down and move the mod up or down.  The priority number in the left pane far right column will change.

Edited by Samuraitech
6 hours ago, Samuraitech said:

Two Bucks

You mention that Mods, like AAF, will run in your game folders but not in MO2.

Here are some things to check, some of which were already mentioned.

Run the following as administrator.  

Modorganizer.exe

Fallout4.exe

Fallout4Launcher.exe

F4SE_loader.exe

Right-Click on each .exe file and go properties/compatibility.  Check "Run This Program As Administrator".

You may be having issues with Windows because these files do not have the proper priority or authorization to run.

Ensure your Anti-Virus, if installed, is not causing MO2 to shut down.  You might even try shutting it down for a bit if you have problems with MO2 or mods launching.

Have you added your executables correctly in MO2?  Select the icon that looks like gears.  That is for adding executables.

Reveal hidden contents

1331809682_MO2AddingExecutibles.jpg.c3a67879fdf630cccd3594f5a7dc5d38.jpg

Go to the icon in MO2 that looks liker gears.  Type F4SE in Title block.  Copy path of F4SE_loader.exe in binary and the FO4 game folder as shown under Start In.  Follow similar procedures for all other executables like you see in left side.

Reveal hidden contents

1398282712_MO2AddingExecutiblesLOOT.jpg.e25140269a533c7cd217f9db7179ba2c.jpg

I won't do all the others but I have shown LOOT because of the added commands in the Arguments block.

Reveal hidden contents

3257836_MO2ExecutiblesRunSelect.thumb.jpg.283206253d1fb77801ff744badd19f87.jpg

When you are done with this go to the right side of MO2 by the RUN button and you will be able to select and run the executables added.  After you have F4SE installed and the executable added in MO2, you will launch the game from now on via F4SE and NOT the FO4.exe or the Fallout4 Launcher.  

Reveal hidden contents

1127389209_AAFLeftPaneandPluginRightPane.thumb.jpg.2846605ba5436c7ea614d48d2b1e5e23.jpg

One of the mods you mentioned having issues with was AAF.  Ensure when you click on the mod in the left pane to activate it, that the plugin in the right pane activated.  If you select AAF in the left pane the plugin should highlight in purple on the right as shown. If the plugin is not activated this could explain why is was not showing up in your game.

Concerning Load order there is the left pane (Where the whole mod and its files are located) and the plugins in the right pane.  There is load order for both sides.  Less priority (Meaning not as important) is toward the top.  More priority is toward the bottom.  This is true for both sides.  So if a mod was all the way at the bottom it would have priority over all other mods above it.  Pay attention to colored highlights in MO2 left pane.  If you select a mod and other mods highlight in red, then that mod is being overwritten by those other mods.  If other mods are  green when particular mod is selected then that mod is  overwriting mods showing up in green.  Right-click mods in questions and select information/conflicts.  This will show what files are being overwritten files that are overwriting others.   This is why patches for a mod are just below the main mod in load order because the patches need to overwrite the original. 

LOOT is a utility that will help sort plugins in the right pane, but it will not sort the order of the mods in the left pane.  You need to learn to do that yourself.  There are many guides you may refer to in help on this.  When you change the load order of a mod on the left, just select the mod hold the left mouse button down and move the mod up or down.  The priority number in the left pane far right column will change.

Damn bro. Thanks. I can say that as far as my f4se. Well you know what. Doesn’t matter. My problems have gone nuclear. 
for the life of me I can’t get f4se to even work. OR I can’t get mo2 to acknowledge it one or the other. I’ve uninstalled the game 6x and uninstalled MO2 like 15. Deleted all mods and folders. Deleted ini preferences. Validated my game like 4x. Installed f4se like 6-7x. I’ve never had a problem with f4se not being seen. I can even launch the game and console command ~getf4seversion and it comes up exactly how it should. Showing latest version. Even weirder. When i open up MO2 after “fresh” install f4se is already there. If I install f4se 1st. It doesn’t even give me a chance to connect. And MO2 has these errors saying scripts and like 10 pop ups of errors then it will shut down and literally erase every mod and start over like I just opened it for the first time after a fresh install. This has happened despite “fresh” uninstalls and reinstalls of everything from the game to everything. It’s just a dumpster fire and Idky. 

29 minutes ago, Two Bucks said:

Damn bro. Thanks. I can say that as far as my f4se. Well you know what. Doesn’t matter. My problems have gone nuclear. 
for the life of me I can’t get f4se to even work. OR I can’t get mo2 to acknowledge it one or the other. I’ve uninstalled the game 6x and uninstalled MO2 like 15. Deleted all mods and folders. Deleted ini preferences. Validated my game like 4x. Installed f4se like 6-7x. I’ve never had a problem with f4se not being seen. I can even launch the game and console command ~getf4seversion and it comes up exactly how it should. Showing latest version. Even weirder. When i open up MO2 after “fresh” install f4se is already there. If I install f4se 1st. It doesn’t even give me a chance to connect. And MO2 has these errors saying scripts and like 10 pop ups of errors then it will shut down and literally erase every mod and start over like I just opened it for the first time after a fresh install. This has happened despite “fresh” uninstalls and reinstalls of everything from the game to everything. It’s just a dumpster fire and Idky. 

Did you configure the F4SE launcher in the drop down of Mod Organizer next to the RUN button?  If not, it's a similar concept to the LOOT video I linked earlier, except you want to set up f4se_loader.exe.  You have to start the game with that or else nothing really works. 

Click the drop down next to the run button in MO and click edit and configure it like this:

Spoiler

f4se.png.e9c176a38e0b5385a94d5797c72c698d.png

Edited by Marg597
8 hours ago, Marg597 said:

Did you configure the F4SE launcher in the drop down of Mod Organizer next to the RUN button?  If not, it's a similar concept to the LOOT video I linked earlier, except you want to set up f4se_loader.exe.  You have to start the game with that or else nothing really works. 

Click the drop down next to the run button in MO and click edit and configure it like this:

Hide contents

f4se.png.e9c176a38e0b5385a94d5797c72c698d.png

I did and here’s the kicker. Game starts. Well there’s two kinds of starts actually. One story is some weird thing where the screen isn’t full sized. Could be a resolution thing even though I’ve never had that problem and I’m currently at 1200 hours of fallout and then the other start. EVERYTHING is fine. Click on the run after f4se is showing and looking exactly like your pic. Game fires up. It’s all working. Console command to make sure the version is running . Okay we’re rolling. Use Another Life. Start at the institute Np. Everything is working perfect. And then…I remove her clothes and boom. CBBE no go. And even get a pop up saying f4se not working. Even tho I used it to start the game and checked in game..it’s so confusing 

Plus I know my questions are super rookie but it’s because I still need answers but I’ve been dealing with f4se and all that for atleast 600 hours. No problem. The problem didn’t start until AAF. I only recently started with it. And now some of the most basic functions don’t work. I even went back to NMM figuring MO2 was toast and I’ll be damned if my mods aren’t working there either. Not even Another Life. It’s bizarre. 

I’m glad that 98% of the things you have  sent to me are all things I do and am familiar with. I’m glad my screens look like yalls. Means I’m doing most of it right. But that makes it all the more Frustrating my results are drastically crippling different. But not until 2 days ago. Lol. Everything was wonderful. And then I cleaned my data folder and have never recovered. All because of the brown face bug. Even though I deleted disabled ALL mods and started a new game. That face was there so I decided to just delete and restart and now it’s all shit. Idky all of a sudden the things I’ve done hundreds of times are all wrong all of a sudden..it really has me sounding like I’m less experienced than I am and that pisses me off too. I’m new but I bet y’all are like “wtf” lol. This guy is fresh off the fucking boat. And I’m not. I got a lot of useful info from this but what’s happening is ate the fuck up.. so I appreciate everything you’re doing in assisting me.