fallout 4 crashing at main menu

Don't know if it is the best way but here is what i do when i have crash issue (using Vortex) :

i disable mods 5 by 5, starting with the last installed ones (installation time filter in vortex)

I close and reopen Votex to check in the plugins page if there are missing masters , if so i disable the mod related to that plugin too

And then i try to launch the game

rince repeat until i find the culprit.

Always worked for me

or the problem where the game would just straight up freeze when sleeping

Disable autosave when sleeping. In fact i have disabled all autosave because game would sometimes freeze when traveling or sleeping. I do manual quicksaves and have no freeze.

nuclear winter - cross_courderstrigidae patch

Someone reported that this patch crashes his game at main menu here, check it out : https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/38244?tab=posts

3 hours ago, izzyknows said:

@IceBlazeWinters Have you tried to launch the game with 0 mods and through the vanilla launcher to make sure it's not a corrupt vanilla file? Verifying local game files through Steam wont detect a corrupted file btw.

Also, a quick way to find a bad mod is the 50/50 method.

Disable 1/2 your mods> Load the game (or a vanilla* save if it makes it that far)

If it loads or doesn't, you've just narrowed it down by 50%.

Enable/Disable 1/2 of the suspect batch of mods> Repeat above.

Keep repeating until you get a small number of mods, then disable them one at a time. But after 4 rounds, you should have a pretty darn good idea which one is the party pooper.

*vanilla save = A game save that has never seen any mods and was launched via the vanilla launcher before being made.

i already know the game runs fine without mods, because i did a full uninstall and reinstall on a different drive. i transfered from my g drive to my ha drive as it was way bigger.

23 minutes ago, IceBlazeWinters said:

i already know the game runs fine without mods, because i did a full uninstall and reinstall on a different drive. i transfered from my g drive to my ha drive as it was way bigger.

Kool! If that was after the issues started then that's one less variable. Well.. should be anyway. LOL

1 hour ago, rjrc said:

Disable autosave when sleeping. In fact i have disabled all autosave because game would sometimes freeze when traveling or sleeping. I do manual quicksaves and have no freeze.

i have to get into the game to disable auto save first

1 hour ago, rjrc said:

Someone reported that this patch crashes his game at main menu here, check it out : https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/38244?tab=posts

probably my post, while trying to figure out what my mod problems are

Papersword's recommendations are great for troubleshooting errors, but Based on it CTDing when you are at the main menu, that screams esp violation or error.   Does it crash at the main menu or when you go to load a saved game or start a new game?  

I think Izzyknows diagnosis is closer to your issue.     Even though the new mods are not game environmental changes, if there is a conflict in those esp or esl files, it will come back as a fatal error causing the CTD.  

I have not used MO2, but am a vortex user and have a heavily modded game.    I have AAF themes as well as many mods for AAF and have run into a few issues, so I would wait on jumping over to MO2 as a measure of last resort.

17 minutes ago, IceBlazeWinters said:

i have to get into the game to disable auto save first

probably my post, while trying to figure out what my mod problems are

My response was 40 minutes too old.    Ok, so essentially you have to roll back the mods.  Does MO2 allow you organize your mods in order of last install?  Vortex's column on "installation date" would come in very handy as it would allow you to remove those mods, get into the saved game, disable the auto save, then start the slow process of finding the offending mod.

38 minutes ago, steelpanther24 said:

My response was 40 minutes too old.    Ok, so essentially you have to roll back the mods.  Does MO2 allow you organize your mods in order of last install?  Vortex's column on "installation date" would come in very handy as it would allow you to remove those mods, get into the saved game, disable the auto save, then start the slow process of finding the offending mod.

i run vortex, cause it's easier for me to use. especially after the constant disaster that i had with nmm and skyrim -.=.-

but yeah, the game just constantly ctd's at the main menu. it'll reach the menu, play through about 5-10 seconds worth of music and video and it just nopes to the desktop.

right now, i'm tearing apart my mods by getting rid of all the armorsmith expanded patches, the nuclear winter patches, replacing some of my crimes against nature mods, and trying to reduce my archive load just in case that's the problem.

but out of my, roughly, 800 mods, almost 600 of of them are light files.

6 hours ago, IceBlazeWinters said:

i run vortex, cause it's easier for me to use. especially after the constant disaster that i had with nmm and skyrim -.=.-

but yeah, the game just constantly ctd's at the main menu. it'll reach the menu, play through about 5-10 seconds worth of music and video and it just nopes to the desktop.

right now, i'm tearing apart my mods by getting rid of all the armorsmith expanded patches, the nuclear winter patches, replacing some of my crimes against nature mods, and trying to reduce my archive load just in case that's the problem.

but out of my, roughly, 800 mods, almost 600 of of them are light files.

Crashing at the main menu seems to be a background image transition error.   You don't have one of the "new background images" mod that changes the music or images shown at the main menu screen do you?

54 minutes ago, steelpanther24 said:

Crashing at the main menu seems to be a background image transition error.   You don't have one of the "new background images" mod that changes the music or images shown at the main menu screen do you?

i have a pony one that's been active with no problems for over a year. so i know that's definitely not the problem.

21 hours ago, IceBlazeWinters said:

i have a pony one that's been active with no problems for over a year. so i know that's definitely not the problem.

Hmm....  ok  if you have already verified the install (an option on Steam) then it may be a bad address call or a bad address which can indicate a  bad sector on hard drive.  It could be bad RAM  crapping out (i.e. one section so it doesn't trigger a warning).  Neither of those two issues will show up without a hard disk scan, but with the size of today's HDD, it would be along process to find out if you have a bad sector. 

Edited by steelpanther24
6 hours ago, steelpanther24 said:

Hmm....  ok  if you have already verified the install (an option on Steam) then it may be a bad address call or a bad address which can indicate a  bad sector on hard drive.  It could be bad RAM  crapping out (i.e. one section so it doesn't trigger a warning).  Neither of those two issues will show up without a hard disk scan, but with the size of today's HDD, it would be along process to find out if you have a bad sector. 

i managed to get loaded into fallout to the point buffout saidtrue nights was having an rlad problem

now i have a new problem: nuka world

no idea what the hell is going on cause i had the game working

i checked the creation club cause of a pop up ad on the main menu

i saw that the enclave weapon skins and armor skins were free

"purchased" the skins, game crashed during the main menu reload that it does when a new mod is installed

now my game just crashes and all buffout is saying is that's got to do with nuka world

i validated the files, uninstalled nuka, and reinstalled nuka and my last several reports are all nuka world problems

crash-2021-11-03-22-34-08.log

On 11/3/2021 at 6:39 PM, IceBlazeWinters said:

now i have a new problem: nuka world

no idea what the hell is going on cause i had the game working

i checked the creation club cause of a pop up ad on the main menu

i saw that the enclave weapon skins and armor skins were free

"purchased" the skins, game crashed during the main menu reload that it does when a new mod is installed

now my game just crashes and all buffout is saying is that's got to do with nuka world

i validated the files, uninstalled nuka, and reinstalled nuka and my last several reports are all nuka world problems

crash-2021-11-03-22-34-08.log 40.09 kB · 0 downloads

Ok..  with all that you have done, I am still leaning toward a hardware issue, not  a software game issue.    Did you update your video drivers recently (or do they need an update)?  Also, when was the last time you checked the .NET loadout?   Unfortunately, my knowledge is mostly in the set up of the game, not the software used to support it.     Hopefully one of the real programmers or IT people here in the forums can offer their advice.