Crash to Desktop - Who also has the problem in Sims 4?

Hello Simmers,

I have had Crash to desktop in Sims 4 again and again for a few weeks now. My PC and graphics card drivers are up to date. I've been playing sims 4 since it came out, so for many years and always with 20 GB of mods but never had a crash to desktop. Now I have already removed most of the Script mods and reduced the graphics settings of the game, updated and checked all CCs with Sims4Studio and still my game crashes several times a day.

Crash to desktop occurs especially during WickedWhims, but not only.

I use the latest Patreon version of WickedWhims and I always play with the Patreon version since years. I have also deactivated all autonomy in the game and in WickedWhims (nudity and sex autonomy). So I only play sims 4 in absolute low mode and still have crashes to desktop.

Besides me, does anyone else have a crash to desktop with sims 4 or any help?

I don't experience CTDs so I'm not sure of how much help I can be.

If you're getting them regularly then it could be sign of a bigger problem. Possibly even hardware related.

I would start by removing all your mods and repairing the game.

Play without mods for a bit and see if it stops. I know the thought of playing a strictly Vanilla game sounds bad but you have to start somewhere and that's the best way to rule out mod issues.

I loved and was addicted to Skyrim and Fallout 4. I've spent so much time creating and embellishing the characters and played them hundreds of hours . But with time I had more and more mod conflicts and game crashes. At some point the frustration was bigger than the joy of playing the game.

Sims 3 suffered the same fate at some point and I'm afraid sims 4 will likewise end up like this one day. Only stuttering and crashes.

24 minutes ago, deejayz said:

I loved and was addicted to Skyrim and Fallout 4. I've spent so much time creating and embellishing the characters and played them hundreds of hours . But with time I had more and more mod conflicts and game crashes. At some point the frustration was bigger than the joy of playing the game.

Sims 3 suffered the same fate at some point and I'm afraid sims 4 will likewise end up like this one day. Only stuttering and crashes.

If you been playing on the same Computer all that time there is a good chance your rig is overheating.

Laptops are worse as their graphics cards degrade over time and the solder joints will separate when heated up.

They don't have enough room inside for proper cooling.

Even my old desktop PC had to be cleaned earlier this year due to freezing and occasional CTD's.

You could try just playing with Wicked Whims + Animations and remove everything else for testing.

Normally even CC can be left installed.

If you don't have any error reports generated it's likely not Mod related anyway.

MCCC and other Mods will usually leave error reports and tell you about broken Mods and conflicts. 

I do not rule out that it is a hardware problem. I've always played Sims 4 on the same PC, only the graphics card is newer. The PC has an Intel Core i7-2600K CPU with 16 GB RAM, the graphics card is a Geforce GTX 960 4GB Gaming, which is even enough for AC Valhalla. 

GPU stress tests ran perfectly, the temperature in the PC does not rise. After the crash, the Windows Event Viewer only shows Sims 4 as the cause, but no hardware problem.

MCCC doesn't show any Conflicts or error reports in game.

18 minutes ago, deejayz said:

I do not rule out that it is a hardware problem. I've always played Sims 4 on the same PC, only the graphics card is newer. The PC has an Intel Core i7-2600K CPU with 16 GB RAM, the graphics card is a Geforce GTX 960 4GB Gaming, which is even enough for AC Valhalla. 

GPU stress tests ran perfectly, the temperature in the PC does not rise. After the crash, the Windows Event Viewer only shows Sims 4 as the cause, but no hardware problem.

MCCC doesn't show any Conflicts or error reports in game.

Have you done any Main Memory stress tests yet?

Don't overlook CPU integrated cache memory as that can be a hidden cause also.

It's rare to not have any error reports with hard crashes unless you can narrow it down to something your sim was doing at the time of the crashes.

Random CTD's are a pain to find the cause but if you can play the Game without any Mods for a bit just to see if it still crashes without Mods then you will have more info.

No idea how long it takes in game before CTD's occur. 

I just start a new game as to not mess with my old save when I remove Mods/CC for testing.

Don't forget to delete your localthumbcache after removing Mods.

I'd also do a game repair after removing Mods. 

Edited by Scorpio

Unfortunately, I don't know how to make a Main Memory stress test. Is there a Tool ?

I just started my save with WickedWhims and all CC from CAS, Build & Buy. I only removed all the script mods. WickedWhims had no Crash, even in Extreme Autonomy Mode. So now I test all Script Mods I need in my Game.

So the problem seems to be a script mod or several script mods that don't get along. I am just surprised that MCCC does not generate any error message.

Many thanks for your help so far. These are basically very useful tips that I will remember and that will help other Users here on Loverslab as well.

• 5 weeks later...