Anyone with a stopwatch able to help with a test?

OysterMug

I'm working on a VX sequence that includes a soundtrack. The sequence includes room changes, which stalls the sequence while each room loads, yet the soundtrack continues without interruption. This makes timing between the two difficult. :(

I've created a simple 1 minute test sequence that contains 5 room changes. When I time this out on my computer, it takes about 1:06.5 to play (each room change adding roughly a 1.1 second delay.)

I need to know if the delay is consistent for all users, or if changing rooms takes longer for some people than others. :|

So, can someone else with a stopwatch time how long my test sequence takes to play? Simply place the file in your "Community" folder (NOT "Community\Sequencer\") and load it from the VX Sequencer Room (named "Test".)

Start your stopwatch at the same time you hit play and stop when it says stop. Let me know how long it takes to play. Thx.

1 hour ago, OysterMug said:

I'm working on a VX sequence that includes a soundtrack. The sequence includes room changes, which stalls the sequence while each room loads, yet the soundtrack continues without interruption. This makes timing between the two difficult. :(

I've created a simple 1 minute test sequence that contains 5 room changes. When I time this out on my computer, it takes about 1:06.5 to play (each room change adding roughly a 1.1 second delay.)

I need to know if the delay is consistent for all users, or if changing rooms takes longer for some people than others. :|

So, can someone else with a stopwatch time how long my test sequence takes to play? Simply place the file in your "Community" folder (NOT "Community\Sequencer\") and load it from the VX Sequencer Room (named "Test".)

Start your stopwatch at the same time you hit play and stop when it says stop. Let me know how long it takes to play. Thx.

I played the sequence three times and each play was a consistent 1:16

i9 10850K @3.6 GHz RTX 3070 64 gb ram VX update p

Edited by ITIB

Crap. If rooms take longer to load for some people more than others, that means I can't include a background music soundtrack with any Sequence that includes scene changes. ?

I'm near completion of a sequence I've been working on for almost a month. It uses a soundtrack to add music & SFX, but is timed to work on MY computer. If rooms load slower/faster for other users, the timing will be off. Argh.

Edited by OysterMug
1 hour ago, OysterMug said:

Crap. If rooms take longer to load for some people more than others, that means I can't include a background music soundtrack with any Sequence that includes scene changes. ?

I'm near completion of a sequence I've been working on for almost a month. It uses a soundtrack to add music & SFX, but is timed to work on MY computer. If rooms load slower/faster for other users, the timing will be off. Argh.

Can you separate the music from the FX?

For instance, if you have a music track that is 4 minutes long, once it starts playing, it will not stop when a new fx is started. The new fx will just play on top of whatever is playing at the moment. You could have JUST the music track playing and add over top any fx that you need in a particular key frame.

That way it would be synchronized by key frame and not be affected by varying room load times.

Edited by ITIB
2 hours ago, ITIB said:

Can you separate the music from the FX?

Sure, that's no problem. I started work on it before your SFX mod, and once the output becomes portable, I can just use effects for all the sounds.

I spent hours trying to get the scripts to run from Addons with Protected Mode still enabled, but nothing worked (probably b/c I know next to nothing about Lua.)

AFAICT, all that must be done is to convert one of the (unmodded stock) sequencer BS scripts into a LUA file (just wrap in an "add[]") loaded from the VX-Mod folder with "includes" at the end to load your custom bs scripts. That's how it is done in my Voiceset software. Only changed code goes in your BS scripts which is appended to the stock scripts already loaded into memory.

Sounds simple, but nothing I tried worked and I'm not sure why. :(

5 hours ago, OysterMug said:

Sounds simple, but nothing I tried worked and I'm not sure why.

I know even less than you about lua, but I have asked many questions from people who do know.

And if I understand them correctly:

1. You can add new code to a bs via lua

2. You can modify existing code in a bs via lua

3. But you cannot subtract existing code from a bs via lua.

So, the way I understand it, if you need the game to basically ignore a protected script and use a greatly reduced version that your addon provides, you're SOL as far as this method is concerned.

That has been the major obstacle preventing me from using the update.lua method on my prog and including all of the scripts in the addon and having it be self contained.

While I comprehend the general idea of injecting or modifying code using the lua method, the depth of the subject gives me a headache.

51 minutes ago, Marburg said:

yes you can. subtracting code is basically replacing it with whitespace.

Ok, now I'm COMPLETELY confused again. ?

Confused but again intrigued.

May I PM you again, if you have time, and submit to you a tiny piece of code and ask if you could show me how YOU would use the lua method to inject whitespace?

Edited by ITIB