VX Sequencer SoundFX Creator v2 Redux

ITIB

If you like this program and it serves a purpose for you, please leave feedback as to your experience with it. It will help in further development.

Update v2.0.3

You are no longer forced to enter a display name when adding a new ogg file to the set, the box for the display name will automatically show the name of the ogg file. You may change it if you wish, but it is filled in automatically, thus saving you from typing the name should you desire the display name to be the same as the ogg file.
Thanks to @Mutatta for the suggestion.

Update v2.0.2

Added option to mute background music in rooms. It occurred to me that the background music within rooms would conflict with any music soundfx that a user would create. So, there is now a checkbox on the main form as well as settings page to mute the background music within all rooms.

Update v2.0.1
Fixed code that added all imported sets into the addon .zip and not just the active set, thus increasing the addon zip size with each successive import.
Fixed the code that is responsible for updating the snf files. It would sometimes fail to update the file after renaming an ogg via the "Rename SoundFX" button.

====================================================================================================

After the first release, there were problems with the program that were identified and fixed, but there seemed to
be no interest from anyone, so I decided to just keep it to myself and use it for my own personal purposes.

Then it was pointed out to me, by people who have a greater knowledge of this game and deeper wisdom, that MAYBE, some may get some use out of this,

It made sense to me to share it.

So, here it is, if it can be of use to you.

I learned a great deal from the more experienced modders here and have taken their advice.

VX Sequencer SoundFX Utility v2 does not require "administrator privileges", and runs just fine with "protected mode" turned on (unlike v1.0).

Manual uninstall info is contained in the pdf.

At the moment, VXSFX is a work in progress.
For the normal user, it allows them to create custom soundfx in their sequencer.
For sequence creators, it allows creating and exporting of soundfx sets to be distributed with their sequences, and the user can import with this program.
I am planning functionality that would handle exporting the Sequence as well as soundfx in an All-In-One package for distribution that the user can import with this program.

This is a portable program, and will run from basically anywhere that you extract it to. As always, it is best to avoid "Program Files (x86)" and "Program Files" as they are Windows protected folders.

I have included a sample set for you to import.

Download "Sample_Set.zip" and extract the file named "QuotesNThings.set" into the "Sets" directory in the VXSFX installed directory.

There is a quick start explanation in the pdf.

If you identify a bug, please report it so that I may fix it.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Special thanks to @OysterMug for the inspiration.

And a huge Thank you to all of you.

VX Sequencer SoundFX Utility

VXSF is a utility that is capable of installing any sound clips that you create (as
long as you convert them into .ogg format) into your TK17 VX game and have
them available for use on the "Sound FX" tab of the Sequencer.

Record your own voice as the main character, create your own sound effects,
convert your favorite songs, extract dialog and sounds from movies. If you
can convert it to .ogg format, it can be imported into the Sequencer.

Although VX has 289 available default sound clips, I found that I grew bored
with them rather quickly. Most if not all of them are just generic sounds that
I had no real use for.

So I set about to create an app that would allow me to install my own custom
made .ogg files into the game without the tedious tasks of copying ogg files
and editing the multiple .bs and .po files needed for the game to recognize
my custom sounds.

I have succeeded in creating an app that will import any .ogg sound into the
game and have them available on the Sequencer's SoundFX tab with just a
few clicks. It has indeed renewed my interest in creating sequences and has
made it fun again.

If you have any questions or any features requests, just message me.
I will do my best to answer any questions and if the features are possible,
I will do my very best to add them.
I hope that you have a use for this software and enjoy it.

If downloading v2 for the first time, download all 3 zips.

Sample_Set.zip

Vxsfx_Pdf.zip

VX Sequencer SoundFX Utility v2.0.3.zip

Edited by ITIB
  • ITIB changed the title to VX Sequencer SoundFX Creator v2 Redux

I'm checking out the update right now. I'm hoping to use it with a sequence I'm working on.

Note: I installed 2.03 to a different directory, but the program keeps opening to the old/original Ogg folder, and I don't see a way to change the default path. :(

Also, what file(s) does "Generate" create and where does your utility put them? Can the output be shared with other users so they can add the same effects to their own copy of VX or must they install the effects the same way?

The utility does not ask me to specify the location of VX. I have my "full" install and an unmodded Stock install. The app made the changes to my Stock install instead of my full install. Not sure why.

Edited by OysterMug
1 hour ago, OysterMug said:

I'm checking out the update right now. I'm hoping to use it with a sequence I'm working on.

Note: I installed 2.03 to a different directory, but the program keeps opening to the old/original Ogg folder, and I don't see a way to change the default path. :(

Also, what file(s) does "Generate" create and where does your utility put them? Can the output be shared with other users so they can add the same effects to their own copy of VX or must they install the effects the same way?

The utility does not ask me to specify the location of VX. I have my "full" install and an unmodded Stock install. The app made the changes to my Stock install instead of my full install. Not sure why.

The ogg directory can be changed at File>Settings

Yes, once you have the set complete with all of the soundfx that you want, just export it with the "Export" button. You can then include the .set file with your sequence and the user can import it with the program, then click generate, and they will have all soundfx in their game necessary for your sequence. It would help to name your .set the same name as your sequence to avoid a user's confusion.

You can set all paths on the settings page, File>Settings, including the path to VX.

Since you installed the previous version, the program is probably reading the previous settings. But just go into File>Settings and change the paths to your liking. It seems to be an oversight on my part and I will fix the tendency to read previous paths in the next update.

Edited by ITIB

(argh! I typed a longer reply and lost it, so here is a quick reply.)

Good news: I figured out how to add effects in Protected Mode.

Bad news: To do so, I had to duplicate the method I used for voices.

It's not working right at the moment, but I'll send you the files once I fix it.

4 hours ago, OysterMug said:

(argh! I typed a longer reply and lost it, so here is a quick reply.)

Good news: I figured out how to add effects in Protected Mode.

Bad news: To do so, I had to duplicate the method I used for voices.

It's not working right at the moment, but I'll send you the files once I fix it.

I am looking forward to it!

• 9 months later...
7 hours ago, In_The_Hat said:

Hi. I Installed as it was described  in pdf, but after pushing button "Generate" I got message "VX is using the default SoundFX. There are no custom SoundFX installed". How to fix this?

You get that message ("VX is using the default SoundFX") when you selected "include original effects" in your library. But for some reason it could not find your custom sounds.

I need more info on how you created/added your custom effects.

Edited by OysterMug
13 hours ago, OysterMug said:

You get that message ("VX is using the default SoundFX") when you selected "include original effects" in your library. But for some reason it could not find your custom sounds.

I need more info on how you created/added your custom effects.

Im not sure where "include original effects" option is.

I extracted the program, selected paths to main directory of game. And imported ""QuotesNThings.set" in. Further I pushed "Generate" and got this massage "VX is using the default SoundFX...". In the game I see the sound file names, but they are not playing

On 7/20/2022 at 9:24 AM, In_The_Hat said:

I extracted the program, selected paths to main directory of game. And imported ""QuotesNThings.set" in. Further I pushed "Generate" and got this massage "VX is using the default SoundFX...". In the game I see the sound file names, but they are not playing

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been quite busy with another project. It sounds like you are trying to load/edit someone elses library. Make sure you have the ogg files that goes with it.

"VXSF" (v2.0.3 Beta) comes with instructions in PDF format. I assume you've already read that.

Creating a new library should be incredibly easy:

Step 1: Gather/Create a bunch of Sound Effect audio clips, convert them to "ogg" (Vorbis) format, and place them in an empty folder.

Step 2: Launch VSFX, Click File | Settings on the toolbar to set your paths. Check any desired options and click "Save".

Step 3: Click File | New from the toolbar. Click the "New Set" button to create a new library from scratch. Give it a simple name when prompted.

image.png.5f308dc02096fc30b481a2c5774e22cb.png

Step 4: Start adding new SoundFX to your library. The app will display the ogg files in the path you set in Settings. Rename as desired. The shorter the better.

(Note that before your library is created, the "Status" box shows the CURRENT state of VX's SFX library.)

Step 5: Once you've added your desired sounds, if you wish to hide all of the existing stock SoundFX, check the first box.

Step 6: Click "Generate" to install your new effects.

Step 7 (optional): "Export set" if you wish to share your mod or need to restore your selections later (this is helpful if you create multiple libraries.)

Step 8: Exit. Launch VX, launch the Sequencer, click the bottom center jewel (or just hit SPACE) and select the "Sound FX" tab. If you selected "Hide all default SoundFX", you should only see the SFX you included in your library.

image.png.0068e85fa3cec6974c38ad5f62c66a3f.png

That's it!

Edited by OysterMug
On 7/24/2022 at 10:00 PM, OysterMug said:

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been quite busy with another project. It sounds like you are trying to load/edit someone elses library. Make sure you have the ogg files that goes with it.

"VXSF" (v2.0.3 Beta) comes with instructions in PDF format. I assume you've already read that.

Creating a new library should be incredibly easy:

Step 1: Gather/Create a bunch of Sound Effect audio clips, convert them to "ogg" (Vorbis) format, and place them in an empty folder.

Step 2: Launch VSFX, Click File | Settings on the toolbar to set your paths. Check any desired options and click "Save".

Step 3: Click File | New from the toolbar. Click the "New Set" button to create a new library from scratch. Give it a simple name when prompted.

image.png.5f308dc02096fc30b481a2c5774e22cb.png

Step 4: Start adding new SoundFX to your library. The app will display the ogg files in the path you set in Settings. Rename as desired. The shorter the better.

(Note that before your library is created, the "Status" box shows the CURRENT state of VX's SFX library.)

Step 5: Once you've added your desired sounds, if you wish to hide all of the existing stock SoundFX, check the first box.

Step 6: Click "Generate" to install your new effects.

Step 7 (optional): "Export set" if you wish to share your mod or need to restore your selections later (this is helpful if you create multiple libraries.)

Step 8: Exit. Launch VX, launch the Sequencer, click the bottom center jewel (or just hit SPACE) and select the "Sound FX" tab. If you selected "Hide all default SoundFX", you should only see the SFX you included in your library.

image.png.0068e85fa3cec6974c38ad5f62c66a3f.png

That's it!

Thanks for reply, but unfortunately it didnt fix the problem.

I did it as it was in instructions too and result same

1.png.e3261ccd3cf820e8a6efe6d0c86c9853.png

Paths created

2.png.72c591f882f3c5a7e6c2b8c835a28b92.png

In VX i see sounds but they are not playing

3.png.f81393cf2d02336ea8f64c5cb1573586.png

Interesting. I suspect everything is actually just fine, it simply could not find your audio files to include them in your library/mod.

I notice your data paths are all set to drive "A:". Drive "A:" is the floppy drive. If you are using some form of redirection to substitute a USB/etc drive, that could be confusing the program.

I highly recommend changing those paths to the same drive as the one used in your first path.

To confirm that the audio files were simply not copied, open the "VSFX\Sounds\Shared\SequencerFX\{your sfx set}\" folder in your VX installation folder. It should contain your .ogg & .snf files. If it is empty, that is why the effects are not playing.

If the samples are there, then something else is wrong that will require more investigation.

Edited by OysterMug
On 7/29/2022 at 5:04 AM, OysterMug said:

Interesting. I suspect everything is actually just fine, it simply could not find your audio files to include them in your library/mod.

I notice your data paths are all set to drive "A:". Drive "A:" is the floppy drive. If you are using some form of redirection to substitute a USB/etc drive, that could be confusing the program.

I highly recommend changing those paths to the same drive as the one used in your first path.

To confirm that the audio files were simply not copied, open the "VSFX\Sounds\Shared\SequencerFX\{your sfx set}\" folder in your VX installation folder. It should contain your .ogg & .snf files. If it is empty, that is why the effects are not playing.

If the samples are there, then something else is wrong that will require more investigation.

Drive A is not floppy, usb or something like that. However i've tried to change paths to D, C drives and result was same. 

Ogg files is only on "VX Sequencer SoundFX\Oggs". They are nowhere else as well as .snf

3 hours ago, In_The_Hat said:

Drive A is not floppy, usb or something like that. However i've tried to change paths to D, C drives and result was same. 

Ogg files is only on "VX Sequencer SoundFX\Oggs". They are nowhere else as well as .snf

(Try to avoid using drive letters A: & B: b/c Windows assumes they are floppies and treats them differently.)

When you add samples to the library, can you Play them (either by selecting and clicking the "Play" button or checking the "Play on selection" box)?

Give me a screen shot of your ogg filenames.

12 hours ago, OysterMug said:

(Try to avoid using drive letters A: & B: b/c Windows assumes they are floppies and treats them differently.)

When you add samples to the library, can you Play them (either by selecting and clicking the "Play" button or checking the "Play on selection" box)?

Give me a screen shot of your ogg filenames.

Changed directories and its same

5.PNG.8f9c696a2b8fd10bcbe53845e9b9d24e.PNG

6.PNG.5bf5bd551efcd57df1db5db026a15170.PNG

7.PNG.fa3a800a8c398f16fe7e48f33154af0a.PNG8.PNG.9fa0bd4c874cd2d0c7c22383ddf505b7.PNG

ogg files are playing in program

Sorry if my lang is not quite clear or I not quite understand sometime

Is there a folder in "D:\Games\TheKlub17\" called "VSFX"?

You noted previously that your "D:\Games\TheKlub17\VSFX\Sounds\Shared\SequencerFX\{your sfx set}\" folder does not contain any .ogg/.snf files after creating your library. Beyond that, everything else appears to be working. But for some reason, the files are not being copied.

Try searching your D drive for "Eraser.snf" to see if it was created but copied to another location? Also check drive "A".

If you find the missing "snf" files, copy them (and the ogg files) to the path above and see if that works.

23 hours ago, OysterMug said:

Is there a folder in "D:\Games\TheKlub17\" called "VSFX"?

You noted previously that your "D:\Games\TheKlub17\VSFX\Sounds\Shared\SequencerFX\{your sfx set}\" folder does not contain any .ogg/.snf files after creating your library. Beyond that, everything else appears to be working. But for some reason, the files are not being copied.

Try searching your D drive for "Eraser.snf" to see if it was created but copied to another location? Also check drive "A".

If you find the missing "snf" files, copy them (and the ogg files) to the path above and see if that works.

VSFX is not exist in TheKlub17. No files like Eraser.snf or some .snf in D & A Drives

Sorry, the "VXSFX" folder is my own. I couldn't remember if the app created it or not. It doesn't. (I'm not sure now. VXSFX may create the folder on installation. The mod does not work without it.) You may need to uninstall the app (page 14 of the pdf docs) and reinstall to create it. ?

Open "regedit.exe" and show me a screen-shot (alt-PrntScr) of the following folder:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ITS\VXSFX\Settings

PS: Also include a screenshot of the TK17 launch menu.

Image1.jpg

Edited by OysterMug

"TWRK17" in red means something is broken/missing. It will appear in GREEN when everything is okay.

I need to try reinstalling VXSFX myself to a virtual machine to see if it creates the "VXSFX" folder.

In the meantime, try copying mine to your "D:\Games\TheKlub17\" folder.

https://mega.nz/file/yJsBDB4Z#JRqMSwTBw488KcCx2npVkSeP-w3XKLWs3QOGGSxvwPw

Edited by OysterMug

I tried installing VXSFX to VX on a Virtual Machine and had similar trouble, with the app reporting it was still using the "default SFX" after generating a new library.

But when I launched VX and checked the Sequencer, the SFX were there AND working. I went back and reopened VXSFX and now it was saying my library was in fact installed. ?

"VXSFX" should create a file named "!VX.ITIB.VXSFX.zip" in your Addons folder. And inside it, there should be a folder called "Sounds" that contains a bunch of subfolders leading to your ".ogg" & ".snf" folders. If this folder is empty or the files missing, the app isn't finding them and I'm not sure why. Unfortunately, the software never got out of Beta so it may still have bugs. I've contacted "IrvinTIB" (the author) to see if he can help, but he's a truck driver and away a lot so it could be a while. :(

PS: I can verify the app does not create nor need a folder called "VXSFX" inside your game folder to work.

ADDENDUM: Another possibility just occurred to me. I've found that "non-English" users frequently have software trouble due to a difference in how numbers are handled. If you are still having trouble, try the following "Quick fix" to see if it helps:

Open "Settings" from the Windows Start Menu. Search for "region" and open "Region and Language" (in Win11, it's under "Administrative language settings.")

On the first ("Formats") tab, click the button for "Additional settings...".

Change the "Decimal symbol:" to "." (period) and "Digit grouping symbol:" to "," (comma).

This is the standard format for numbers in the U.S.. That should probably fix the issue. You can always put back the correct symbols for your country later. This is only a "quick fix". If this works, you may need to use "Locale Fix" type software before running the app.)

Edited by OysterMug

Ok i got it. I have "!VX.ITIB.VXSFX.zip" but its empty. "Sounds" Folder is missing. Also ive tried to put your "VXSFX" in main folder and yeah its dont works.

The way to change the region I'll try it and reply the result later.

In any case thanks for your help and for taking the time :)

I'll be waiting for new version 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 3:15 PM, OysterMug said:

Let me know if the "quick fix" I suggested works. I suspect it will.

(Note: you will need to do the fix before you create a new library.) It won't fix an already broken one.

Sorry for long reply. But unfortunately that's fix didn't resolve the problem.
I even tried to change whole format to american, and result is same

On 8/30/2022 at 4:11 PM, In_The_Hat said:

Sorry for long reply. But unfortunately that's fix didn't resolve the problem.
I even tried to change whole format to american, and result is same

Welcome back.

I've spent a lot more time with the app during your absence and discovered a few "hiccups". If you create a new library & install it, then try to replace it, it doesn't always fully uninstall on its own, preventing future installs to fail. Here's how do do a FULL removal of previous attempts so you start clean:

In the Addons folder, delete "!VX.ITIB.VXSFX.zip" if it exists.

In "VX-Mod\Scripts\Shared\", delete the following files if found:

• "AcSequencerFX.bs"
  • "SequencerSoundFX.bs"
  • "SequencerSoundFX.L=DE.bs"
  • "SequencerSoundFX.L=EN.bs"

In "Config\TK17_Upgrades.txt", remove any reference to "VXSFX"

This will start you off clean. If any of these files were found, deleting them should allow you to install a new library.

Note that if another SFX library exists (like one of mine), this process will remove that as well.

I've uploaded my "Universal SFX" ".set" file & samples for you to start with ("Import" from VXSFX). I'm encouraging everyone to maintain a single "Universal library" so we don't all upload different SFX sets for different sequences. One library for all.

Let me know if you still have trouble.