New graphics card, but the game performance did not change at all ¿?

Well, the problem is this ... it has been a long time since I played The Sims 4. I changed my graphics card a couple of months ago and the increase in fps and performance is really evident in all the games I have tried with the new card ... I mean ... it is supposed to be logical when you go from 1 GB of V-RAM to 8 GB of V-RAM. For example ... before I played 'RE 5 Gold Edition' in ultra setting but in 30 fps and in 720p, now I can play the same game in ultra settings but in 120 fps and in 4K resolution. In general that has happened with all the games that I have tried with the new card ... except with The Sims 4. The performance and the fps did not change at all, they remain exactly the same ... between 20 and 25 fps, sometimes lower.

So ... I want to know if this has happened to someone else ... because it just doesn't make sense. Or should I do something to tell the game that it now has a lot more V-RAM available to use?

Yes, I have many mods installed, more than a thousand mods installed but the game ran between 20 and 25 fps with all those same mods installed and with only 1 GB of V-RAM. So ... I'm actually very confused. I hope someone can help me to increase the fps or explain why this is happening. 

Thanks. 

Edited by Sneaksmile

First question is what card are you running now? Are your drivers up to date?

What resolution are you trying to run the game on? IIRC, Sims 4 isn't meant to run at resolutions higher than 1080p.

Do you have anything else running while you're trying to game? I noticed shutting down Steam and Twitch and a couple of other non-essential run-in-the-background apps gives me a little bit of an FPS boost.

Don't hold me to this last one, but thanks to all the mods, this game is probably bottlenecked more by the CPU and memory than by the GPU. I've seen one game session where CAS is snappy as hell, and the next is a total slog.

Besides, in the end FPS in Sims 4 isn't as important as it would be in a first-person-shooter like CS-GO. If it looks okay in live mode and build mode or CAS aren't running like your wading through molasses, I think you're okay.

Source: I'm running a Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB RAM, and an RX 580, and my FPS will be anywhere from the high 70s to almost single digits, but I don't recall the last time I got a slideshow in live mode.

Yeah, with 5 million mods you might actually be CPU/RAM bottlenecked.

In the options turn off mods, start a new modless game, spend like 5 minutes doing everything (5 minutes in create a sim, 5 minutes in living mode, 5 minutes in buildinmg mode). If you see improved fps everywhere then all your mods are slowing you down. If the fps remain as low then futher infos would be necessary to find out where the low fps are coming from.

14 hours ago, DarkAudit said:

First question is what card are you running now? Are your drivers up to date?

What resolution are you trying to run the game on? IIRC, Sims 4 isn't meant to run at resolutions higher than 1080p.

Do you have anything else running while you're trying to game? I noticed shutting down Steam and Twitch and a couple of other non-essential run-in-the-background apps gives me a little bit of an FPS boost.

Don't hold me to this last one, but thanks to all the mods, this game is probably bottlenecked more by the CPU and memory than by the GPU. I've seen one game session where CAS is snappy as hell, and the next is a total slog.

Besides, in the end FPS in Sims 4 isn't as important as it would be in a first-person-shooter like CS-GO. If it looks okay in live mode and build mode or CAS aren't running like your wading through molasses, I think you're okay.

Source: I'm running a Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB RAM, and an RX 580, and my FPS will be anywhere from the high 70s to almost single digits, but I don't recall the last time I got a slideshow in live mode.

1 - Radeon RX 5700 XT 

2 - I was going to test the game in 4K resolution but since the game is '' stuck '' in the same performance as before, I keep testing it in 1080p

3 -  No, nothing running while using the game.

4 - Well that happens, when I enter the CAS I have stable 200 fps and outside of that I have 20-25. But the same also always happened with only 1 V-RAM. When I entered the CAS it had stable 60 fps.

5 - '' Besides, in the end FPS in Sims 4 isn't as important as it would be in a first-person-shooter like CS-GO. If it looks okay in live mode and build mode or CAS aren't running like your wading through molasses, I think you're okay '' 

I honestly thought the exact same thing, but it's very strange that all the other games '' fly '' like hell with the new card and this game remains exactly the same performance ... 

6 - I have also a Ryzen 5 but only 8 GB of RAM. Maybe it's the CPU RAM? 

Thanks for answer.  

Edited by Sneaksmile

By the way, I did new tests and the frames go down to 10 - 15 when in live mode I zoom out to the maximum on the map, but when I zoom in almost at maximum, the frames go up between 60 - 65. Although at the zoom distance that I like to play it is still between 20 - 25. Is that what you mean with? ... '' Besides, in the end FPS in Sims 4 isn't as important as it would be in a first-person-shooter like CS-GO. If it looks okay in live mode and build mode or CAS aren't running like your wading through molasses, I think you're okay '' 

Edited by Sneaksmile
6 hours ago, KeyCo69 said:

Yeah, with 5 million mods you might actually be CPU/RAM bottlenecked.

In the options turn off mods, start a new modless game, spend like 5 minutes doing everything (5 minutes in create a sim, 5 minutes in living mode, 5 minutes in buildinmg mode). If you see improved fps everywhere then all your mods are slowing you down. If the fps remain as low then futher infos would be necessary to find out where the low fps are coming from.

I only have a thousand lol 

Okay, I'll test that now that I'm going to update the game and the mods are automatically disabled.  

Thanks. 

there is not much you can do - it's just The Sims 4 itself.

a trick that might help: when my FPS sometimes drop down to less than 25, I just hit ESC (so that the menu opens), wait 1 or 2 seconds, and it's back to 70+ FPS

BUT, I am running it on 4K, everything on max, maximum 80FPS on a "more than enough" system :D

the game is just old, that's it...

FYI, my system:
Core i9-10900K, Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 (24GB VRAM), 32GB RAM (and the game is installed on an m.2 SSD)

I am running Cyberpunk 2077 all maxed out and it runs smoother than TS4 ;) 

14 hours ago, thaclone said:

a trick that might help: when my FPS sometimes drop down to less than 25, I just hit ESC (so that the menu opens), wait 1 or 2 seconds, and it's back to 70+ FPS

BUT, I am running it on 4K, everything on max, maximum 80FPS on a "more than enough" system :D

FYI, my system:
Core i9-10900K, Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 (24GB VRAM), 32GB RAM (and the game is installed on an m.2 SSD)

Well, it is something very strange. I mean ... RE 5 Gold Editon it's older than The Sims 4. And it is also very strange (similar to what you say) that I can play RE-3 Remake to the fullest and like butter and with many mods running but The Sims 4 has exactly the same performance as before ... I was just asking that. I thought maybe I had to do something to tell the game that it now has more memory to use and it will " wake up " ... as it did with my Skyrim. But it seems not. 

Edited by Sneaksmile

Also ... guys do you think 1800 Mods in my game are more than enough and should I stop?  ?

Although my Mods folder it's only 4.5 GB. I mean ... there are Skyrim Mods that ''weigh'' more than double and they are only one Mod. Because of that ... everything that is happening with the performance of my game (Sims 4) seems very strange to me. Plus most of those 1800 Mods only ''weigh'' a few KBs. 

16 hours ago, thaclone said:

FYI, my system:

It's funny how older games can really bottleneck more modern and powerful PCs simply due to poor resource usage...

My build:

Corsair airflow 4000d case in black (I'm not sure I would recommend it to others though, unless you don't mind working in semi cramped cases.. I kind of wish I had gone with the be quiet! Pure Base 500DX Black Mid Tower ATX case, I might change to that one later though)

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus for the mother board

AMD RYZEN 7 3700X for the CPU

Fractal Design Celsius S24 - 240 mm Radiator - Silent Liquid CPU Cooler (I used two RGB fans on mine though)

Samsung 2TB 860 EVO SATA III M.2 Internal SSD for the main hard drive

Another 2 terabyte HDD for backup (I don't think the brand is really that important in this case)

8GB x 4 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB ram (why 4 sticks for those wondering? Better performance or more frames while gaming, this is especially true with AMD CPUs)

A Corsair Rm850 X for the power supply (I'd rather have more voltage than I'm ever likely to need, which is actually not a bad line of thought from what I've heard)

6 InWin Sirius Loop Addressable RGB fans

ASUS KO GeForce RTX 3070 OC Graphics Card (I managed to get mine at a little over $900 out of timing and dumb luck that card is currently retailing at around $729.00)

Yeah, ripped from an older post, I'm lazy like that.

Anyway I've only got very noticeable lag a few times, though at the time I was running a few outdated mods. I also play offline, always, and I run a few tuning mods intended to remedy some lag issues, not sure how well they work though:

https://sims4updates.net/mods/simulation-unclogger-by-turbodriver-at-mod-the-sims/

https://srslysims.net/simulation-lag-fix/

2 hours ago, Sneaksmile said:

1800 Mods

Mods as in MODS, or mods as in a metric shitton of CC?

If you're running that many actual gameplay changing mods, yeah. You might want to trim that down a bit. The CPU and memory will be a bottleneck, and it'll show up as a precipitous drop in frame rate that isn't the GPU's fault.

1 hour ago, Z0mBieP00Nani said:

8GB x 4 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB ram (why 4 sticks for those wondering? Better performance or more frames while gaming, this is especially true with AMD CPUs)

If more discretionary funds appear, I'm tempted to boost my current 2x8 16GB rig to 4x8 32GB. Running a Ryzen 5 2600 on a B450 Tomahawk @ 4Ghz OC.

3 hours ago, DarkAudit said:

Mods as in MODS, or mods as in a metric shitton of CC?

If you're running that many actual gameplay changing mods, yeah. You might want to trim that down a bit. The CPU and memory will be a bottleneck, and it'll show up as a precipitous drop in frame rate that isn't the GPU's fault.

I don't really know what you mean but I mean files inside the MODS folder. Are the Mods installed there or not?  

11 minutes ago, Sneaksmile said:

I don't really know what you mean but I mean files inside the MODS folder. Are the Mods installed there or not?  

I'm talking about the difference between CC and a mod. They all go in the mods folder, but they are quite different. A stylish hat or a cute pair of shoes are CC. Wicked Whims, Basemental Drugs, and MCCC are mods. Just having a lot of CC won't do much to your FPS in live mode, but having to load all the thumbnails in CAS or build mode can kill your average frame rate for the entire session.

10 minutes ago, DarkAudit said:

I'm talking about the difference between CC and a mod. They all go in the mods folder, but they are quite different. A stylish hat or a cute pair of shoes are CC. Wicked Whims, Basemental Drugs, and MCCC are mods. Just having a lot of CC won't do much to your FPS in live mode, but having to load all the thumbnails in CAS or build mode can kill your average frame rate for the entire session.

Oh. I understand now, so almost everything is CC in my Mods folder, although I also have many houses and lots installed in the Tray folder. And in CAS and in build mode I have 200 fps 

11 hours ago, DarkAudit said:

If more discretionary funds appear, I'm tempted to boost my current 2x8 16GB rig to 4x8 32GB. Running a Ryzen 5 2600 on a B450 Tomahawk @ 4Ghz OC.

It might not be very noticeable from a visual standpoint, unless you turn on afterburner or something like that, but I've seen readouts from both scenarios and it does help with efficiency over all. It has something to do with the way (high end) AMD CPUs are structured under the lid and utilize ram as a result and having the ram divided into more slots is more helpful over all.

You probably know all of this, but you never know who's reading.