This is what happens when over 1,000 idiotic Steam users don't read the fine print.

Ark of Truth

http://www.loverslab.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=24

Steam Petition RE: Ubisoft
Dear Steam,

As your customers we are completely unsatisfied by the vendor Ubisoft. Their 3rd party DRM has far too many issues which have caused many of us to purchase products that are unable to be used as promised.

This isn't the first time we have had issues with this publisher but it needs to be the last. We ask that you remove this publisher's games from your catalogue until they remove their 3rd party DRM from products bought directly through steam.

I have NEVER had any issues with a Ubisoft title using their DRM system. You know the DRM which is clearly stated in the right hand side of the store page which everyone overlooks. If anything their's is one of the most easiest to use.

It's a hopeless cause. If Steam removes it from the store then it's letting idiots win. People like this piss me off.

What is silly is that there is any DRM at all beyond the steam one.  The steam DRM is more than enough for any product and adding in a second layer of DRM just asks for problems.  Face it, ubisoft isn't exactly a bug free game producer so this just adds a possible issue that simply should not be there.

I actually like the petition.  We all know that nothing will ever happen with it.  But it is nice when jackass DRM bullshit gets a little push back from the community.  If only there were more gamers that would keep their cash in their pocket to go along with the petitions then real progress might be possible.

When I read the title I thought this might have been about the Ubisoft Screw up with Heroes M&M VI release. DRM in General is a waste of time if they are trying to prevent pirating by using a DRM they are failing miserably because they seriously underestimate the intelligence of the cracking community.

It isn't really hard to get around a DRM if you know what you are doing.  <_<

Actually it's not clearly stated at all. I bought FC Blood Dragon and didn't find out until afterwards. It's at the BOTTOM of SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS. Incredibly easy to miss. People don't check system requirements if they don't have to. It should be where it says Far Cry 3 not required. Then I had nothing but issues trying to get the game to run.

As long as it's written, I really see no problem. Not a big fan of DRM(As my connection is quite unreliable), so I tend to avoid EA, Ubisoft and a couple of other big publishers. That being said, I really don't care whether they sell their goods at steam or not, however it pisses me off when people try to avoid taking responsibility for their own actions. They are in no way forced to buy these titles, and If people doesn't care to do a bit of minor research on the game their buying, then they are clearly the ones at fault.

The majority of people these days are stupid, self-entitled son of a B's without any sense of responsibility, but that's hardly any news I suppose. With any luck(and a bit of a common sense) steam won't give in to this stupidity.

As long as it's written, I really see no problem. Not a big fan of DRM(As my connection is quite unreliable), so I tend to avoid EA, Ubisoft and a couple of other big publishers. That being said, I really don't care whether they sell their goods at steam or not, however it pisses me off when people try to avoid taking responsibility for their own actions. They are in no way forced to buy these titles, and If people doesn't care to do a bit of minor research on the game their buying, then they are clearly the ones at fault.

The majority of people these days are stupid, self-entitled son of a B's without any sense of responsibility, but that's hardly any news I suppose. With any luck(and a bit of a common sense) steam won't give in to this stupidity.

Nonsense. So what are you saying? That Ubi's DRM system is fundamentally flawed and we should except it? Surely if people are having issues with a system that was put in place by said company then they should shoulder responsibility in fixing it.

Some people in this thead dont seem to be able to grasp the situation it seems. If it was raining outside and you went out without an umbrella then the fault lies with you; You should have looked out the window to see if it was raining and grabbed an umbrella before you went out your house.

But if you knew it was raining and you wanted to use an umbrella from home but someone said "No. You cant use your umbrella, use ours instead" but then turns out this umbrella was twice as heavy and had holes in it then rightly you would be pissed. You dont want to use this umbrella but the one you're comfortable with but instead you're forced to use an inferior one thus ruining your day then you're right to be pissed off.

Sorry I cant come up with a better analogy but its early and I havent had my coffee yet. The point is that, like other have mentioned, Steam DRM should be enough as it is but instead Ubi tacked on another layer of DRM which then proceeded to screw a bunch of people over who payed money to play their game. People saying "Oh, well its ubi DRM they should have known better durr" No! Fucking no.

There is taking responsibility for you own wrong actions and then there is taking responsibility for somebody elses fuck up. Until you can differentiate between the two and apply it to the discussion at hand I think its best anyone dont enter the debate.

Nonsense. So what are you saying? That Ubi's DRM system is fundamentally flawed and we should except it? Surely if people are having issues with a system that was put in place by said company then they should shoulder responsibility in fixing it.

But the system is not broken as I'm using it without any problems.

The point is though that just because it works for you or others doesn't mean it will work for everyone. I hate DRMs in General always have always will and on my games that have DRMs I've never had issues with it either. However, I know people who have had issues with it and when they have payed 50-60+ in hard earned cash for something they can not use I'd say they have a right to be pissed off.

Guest †Foggy♥Sugar†

For people that like to have things a lot easier to read and organized a little better, I'd recommend Enhanced Steam.  It shows you certain things like third party programs very clearly, along with other nice enhancements such as looking through a list and being able to see which games you already own or have already added to your wish list along with a lot of neat other features that make it really nice to have around.  

As far as stuff like Uplay & WGL among others, I find them extremely annoying to deal with period and a total waste of time.  I'm a lot happier going through Steam for pretty much all of my games, creating extra links in my Favorites for just that very reason.  I don't care about the extra crap that they use to gimmick up their useless program.  Keep the free wallpapers and useless trophies as far as I am concerned, stop making me sign up for something I will never look at again outside of Bioshock or Far Cry.  I wish they would just do away with this stuff forever and save the regular PC gamers some grief.  

I agree completely with beck11.

And while Ubisoft is what this thread is about I would contend that all DRM should be removed from steam sales.  Steam's built in DRM is plenty.  If a publisher needs more DRM than what steam provides, then they don't need to bother with selling on steam PERIOD!  Microturd is another example of this with its damn games for windows live.  It is frustrating as hell to have to fire up steam and click play, THEN wait and have to go through the login to GWL.  That is complete BS unless it is a multiplayer game.

It is a ridiculous slap in the face to the consumer to have to put up with this type of bullshit. 

Archived