Questions of Beleifs in the Modding Community.

OK I know some will act completely negatively to this opinion, but I just have to ask... Why!?

So why do people hate people for being different when making their Mod? An example people purposefully put a Mod Maker down because they want to contribute to the community, but what I hate most is when they don't keep it a secret and comment it on the Forum for the Mod. A common point to this is Beast Races, ok yes they have elongated mouths, yes they have fur, tails, and ears but what gives you the right to treat it like its the spawn of the unholy man himself? And what better than most of the non "Furry" races having no work put into them to the point where it can be achieved in the vanilla game? Not specifying names, but what makes "Furry" races so bad to the point where people frown upon them when the best they got are just recolored elves and humans? There are the better race mods out there that may be an elf or human but when it is so difficult to find a non-generic race in a game that pretty much revolves around modding to only have select few mods for how you want your character to look? All I'm saying is guys/girls stop being so judgmental on Mods and the Mod Makers before even truly looking at what they've made

(as said I am expecting negativity to this Topic, but I would just like to know)

'Beliefs' And if I don't like something, I'm not that open about it. Pretty sure what you're saying is more like the Nexus community and not here. This is a rant thread right? Not sure if it belongs here...

Yes I do suppose it belongs on the Nexus more so, but opinions always help and this isn't as much of a rant as it is a question, all I want to know is reasons for it and if those here believe it at all. I do see hate that goes out to the mod makers rarely here and that's what I respect about this site.

Edit: although it may just be the mods present on the site for why disrespect to the Moders doesn't exist as frequently

Guest SemiPr0

What does make furry races so bad? Nothing in my opinion.

Perhaps anthro's make some people uncomfortable but given as I've seen this debate come up...generally first fielded by anthro's themselves, that perhaps there is a bit of oversensitivity to potential criticism from anthrocentric individuals.

This isn't to say there aren't 12 year olds out there (and people that are, mentally, still 12 years old) that will throw shit on anything they think is not "normal" cause there are. But like I said I've seen a this argument in multiple communities that have an anthrocentric subgroup within it...and its usually always the anthro's that bring up the question of "What makes us so bad?".

Anyone who did really see a bipedal tiger with muscles like a body builder on it that walked and talked just like the rest of us do, in real life, would probably think it was the coolest thing they ever saw...even everything-phobic twelve year old boys.

So I think the whole question of whats wrong with furry races is immaterial.

The Dagi-Rhat race is absolutely darling, what Bethesda did for Khajits and Argonians, just in vanilla Skyrim alone, was a very beautiful thing, and anything that makes the anthro races better is great in my opinion. New variants of them, better textures, increased quality models....I'll have all of it please. I like pretty things, even if they have fur or scales on them.

So yeah...I guess I agree mostly with Mirror on this. This isn't exactly the kind of place where people are going to be judging furries, this place is way too far down the rabbit hole already for someone to pull up the reins and go WHO LET THE FURRIES IN!?!?!

One of the most popular supporter images on the Nexus, btw, is a human female having sex with a rather large Khajit Male....its quite good really. So perhaps the Nexus isn't all bad either.

What does make furry races so bad? Nothing in my opinion.

Perhaps anthro's make some people uncomfortable but given as I've seen this debate come up...generally first fielded by anthro's themselves, that perhaps there is a bit of oversensitivity to potential criticism from anthrocentric individuals.

This isn't to say there aren't 12 year olds out there (and people that are, mentally, still 12 years old) that will throw shit on anything they think is not "normal" cause there are. But like I said I've seen a this argument in multiple communities that have an anthrocentric subgroup within it...and its usually always the anthro's that bring up the question of "What makes us so bad?".

Anyone who did really see a bipedal tiger with muscles like a body builder on it that walked and talked just like the rest of us do, in real life, would probably think it was the coolest thing they ever saw...even everything-phobic twelve year old boys.

So I think the whole question of whats wrong with furry races is immaterial.

The Dagi-Rhat race is absolutely darling, what Bethesda did for Khajits and Argonians, just in vanilla Skyrim alone, was a very beautiful thing, and anything that makes the anthro races better is great in my opinion. New variants of them, better textures, increased quality models....I'll have all of it please. I like pretty things, even if they have fur or scales on them.

So yeah...I guess I agree mostly with Mirror on this. This isn't exactly the kind of place where people are going to be judging furries, this place is way too far down the rabbit hole already for someone to pull up the reins and go WHO LET THE FURRIES IN!?!?!

One of the most popular supporter images on the Nexus, btw, is a human female having sex with a rather large Khajit Male....its quite good really. So perhaps the Nexus isn't all bad either.

All I'm saying is people should give the moders a break and also who cares if the race is furry or not all I care about is if it's good or not, I'll go with humanoids (elves and humans) as long as it doesn't look like someone just messed with the console of a vanilla race, I mean I just want to download something that looks different and adds new or interesting aspects to the game... Overall I just don't find it very polite when people say, in the mod post itself, Oh this mod is bad (or as I've seen every once in a while the spawn of evil), just to put down the mod maker. It's cruel and either way most of the people don't know a thing about modding or the requests for certain mods

I'd say this is mostly directed at the nexus community and the "childish" members that inhabit that site. All in all I have no problem with beast races what so ever in fact I think Skyrim could have used more then just the two it got but I think the TES lore only supports those two, Which brings me to one reason some bitch their brains out when someone adds a new beast race....it's not "lore friendly" so they automatically hate it.

These people boggle the mind to be honest someone releases a piece of shit race that is nothing but a copy of a vanilla race most of the times it's just the nord race with different textures and changed starting stats and OMG it's a work of ART but someone releases a very well done beast race and OMG it's the DEVIL KILL IT!!!

Best way is to ignore all this lore friendly geeks.

At first you have to be fully aware of why you are modding and sharing your mods, if it is all about fame then you should determine beforehand what will please the community, if it is just to make it available to people that could share your tastes you can just ignore the childish comments and flames and move on.

You cant please everyone, thats a fact, even the greatest artists are not loved by all, and from my point of view it doesnt matter, if you enjoyed doing something and want to share it with the community you should not even start to care about the haters (if they come to flame or hate you in your mod page thats basically because they have nothing more interesting to do, which is pretty sad dont you think?) and focus on the positive comments you may or may not receive.

I'd say this is mostly directed at the nexus community and the "childish" members that inhabit that site. All in all I have no problem with beast races what so ever in fact I think Skyrim could have used more then just the two it got but I think the TES lore only supports those two, Which brings me to one reason some bitch their brains out when someone adds a new beast race....it's not "lore friendly" so they automatically hate it.

These people boggle the mind to be honest someone releases a piece of shit race that is nothing but a copy of a vanilla race most of the times it's just the nord race with different textures and changed starting stats and OMG it's a work of ART but someone releases a very well done beast race and OMG it's the DEVIL KILL IT!!!

Exactly

Guest SemiPr0

Lets keep in mind that "lore friendly" isn't exactly a bad thing either.

I tend to stand firmly in the "lore friendly" camp. I prefer things to look like they should be in Skyrim, I like scars on my girls, I like my men large and rough looking. I love bad weather, deadly blizzards and rivers that will kill you if you prance around naked in them like a tart.

But "lore friendly" doesn't preclude adaptations and improvement of anthrocentric races in Skyrim in my opinion.

Just because its Skyrim doesn't mean its not Tamriel or Nirn in general. There is plenty of lore to support interracial breeding and subrace development. The Bretons are the by-product of Nord and Mer interbreeding after all, which is a well documented fact....so the Dagi-Rhat, which I believe are a completely lore supported interbreeding of Khajit and Bosmer which is completely feasible as Khajit are interbreedable with both men and mer, or anything else that seems like a "mix" of two races coming out of the modding community is no more invalid in the "lore" than any of the "lore" itself.

Most people that consider themselves "lore fiends" don't really understand how far back the lore actually goes.

Just cause Skyrim didn't have half-breeds out of the box doesn't mean that that Tamriel doesn't have a good chunk of them running around.

So anyone attacking this stuff on the basis of "lore" doesn't know the lore...at all. There is a huge difference between saying "Hey I'm not entirely sure a Tifa Lockheart* companion makes much sense in Skyrim" and saying something like "Beast race improvements and beast subraces aren't in line with the lore."'

Cause beast races are VERY part of the lore of Nirn.

*I should probably clarify that if Tifa Lockheart makes sense as a companion in YOUR Skyrim...thats great, I'm not judging you because I think otherwise. Your Skyrim is your Skyrim, and mine is mine and we're all happy.

True but some people are anal to the point that if it isn't mentioned at all in any TES lore then it should not be allowed at all. That type of mentality I don't like I look at it as any beast race is valid and lore friendly because there is precedence for said races in the form of pre-existing beast races such as the Argonians and Khajiit. I also agree that just because they are not mentioned in TES lore does not mean they don't or can't exist.

Edit: a Good example would be that Anthro-Shark race We have a topic for on LL far as I know there is no mention of any aquatic beast races in TES Lore but that doesn't mean they don't exist I mean how many Elves or Humans go swimming around in the ocean looking for new races?

I'm strictly lore friendly and aim for realism in my own gameplay (frostfall, rnd, asis, duel etc) other people can do what they like if they enjoy it it's just a game it doesn't bother me, noone's making you install a mod.

The only thing that get my mudcrab are people releasing a 10,000th "Beautiful" Lydia or Mjoll mod because they found character edit as they usually look worse than xbox gfx with a vanilla body and weight 100 for big boobs.

What is or isn't "lore-friendly" is really a matter of personal opinion and preference.  Mods like Skyrim Monster Mod (adds creatures from various mythology and from other games) and Predators - The Lost Tribe (xenomorps in Skyrim?  maybe that's what happened to the Dwemers) do not belong to TES lore, but I'm sure that has not stopped the many lore-friendly users from adding them to their game.  I have come across a few "I only use lore-friendly armor, but these armors are so kick-ass and beautiful I have to have them" comments.

I like some realism in my game, but I don't take it seriously.  Installing mature-skin on a supermodel body with beautiful hair and perfect, white teeth does not make her more true to the world of Skyrim, she just looks like a supermodel who has been in a cat-fight.

It's your game, play it however you like. 

Some people take the term "lore-friendly" too far.  They say "lore friendly", but they mean "strictly canon".  It's the same thing as "all toads are frogs, but not all frogs are toads"; strictly canon is lore friendly, but lore friendly is not strictly canon.

For example.  I refuse to use high heels or jeans or t-shirts with band names on them or ridiculously out-of-place anime mods.  These things are not lore-friendly.  They do not belong in a game like Skyrim.  They do not and will never look right in that setting.  I will use some bikini mods, tiny fur outfits, impractical or overdesigned weapons, hair mods than are somewhat too clean but not silly-looking, and some skimpy armors.  These are lore-friendly, but certainly not canon-accurate.  All I ask of the mods I use is they match the style of the game.

Though I'm personally of the opinion that anthro races are stupid, they are not necessarily lore-unfriendly.  The fox-like Lilmothiit, the ape-like Imga, the monkey-like Tang-Mo, the tiger-like Ka'Po, the snake-like Tsaesci... there are tons of anthro races already, and little reason why there couldn't be others undiscovered.

I'm always surprised at aggressive criticism of any mods, no matter the category or concept. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, given the passion of the players of the game and the anonymous nature of self-expression present in the many available forums (or is it fora? I believe both are correct).

Still, it takes work to create mods. From inception to development to presentation there is almost always clear evidence of time and effort invested in the mods that I have encountered. If a mod is something that I don't care for or if it doesn't work for me or my character, I simply move on, but the work is appreciated.

I'm loathe to offer quotes regarding such matters, but I'll recite a partial one from the Bhagavad Gita all same as I believe it to be pertinent: "He who experiences the unity of life sees his own self in all beings, and all beings in his own self, and looks on everything with an impartial eye."

I don't usually have a problem with beast races, but when I don't like a mod for any reason, I avoid the mod completely. No download, no comment, no problems. But then again, one could also begin asking what constitutes beast races aaaaaaaaaand...back before I go down the rabbit hole. Honestly, I would like to see more lore-friendly beast races be brought into Skyrim (even if the fact that they are alive is not lore-friendly). The only beast races I find somewhat creepy is the human-argonian hybrid because the male looks....weird...but that is just my opinion, so I avoid the mod.

For those of you who do not mind a bit of "lore-mongering", there is the spoiler button for you.

If you don't feel like reading information brought from the Elder Scrolls lore, you can just ignore the button.

Sloads are an example of an aquatic beast race.

Dagi-Raht are not Bosmer-Kajiit hybrids, they are just a different breed of Kajiit and are not described as being any different from the standard Kajiit in basic physical build.

Ohmes and Ohmes-Raht have more human characteristics than other Kajiit races.

Ohmes being hybrids is neither supported or denied by lore.

And as much as I "lore monger", I am still hoping for the Anthro Shark race, Castanics, Asari, and anything else that people would be willing to add.

The Akaviri Tsaesci would probably make an interesting addition to Skyrim in my opinion. In fact, I would even say that the game needs more beast races. There are less "breeds" of humans than there are of the Kajiit alone, but no one really bothers to make them (although most of them would just probably be rescaled and retextured with different abilities).

I have no problem with people who like to stay lore friendly, but maybe it would be better not to comment on a mod you don't like at all.

Guest SemiPr0

I don't usually have a problem with beast races, but when I don't like a mod for any reason, I avoid the mod completely. No download, no comment, no problems. But then again, one could also begin asking what constitutes beast races aaaaaaaaaand...back before I go down the rabbit hole. Honestly, I would like to see more lore-friendly beast races be brought into Skyrim (even if the fact that they are alive is not lore-friendly). The only beast races I find somewhat creepy is the human-argonian hybrid because the male looks....weird...but that is just my opinion, so I avoid the mod.

For those of you who do not mind a bit of "lore-mongering", there is the spoiler button for you.

If you don't feel like reading information brought from the Elder Scrolls lore, you can just ignore the button.

Dagi-Raht are not Bosmer-Kajiit hybrids, they are just a different breed of Kajiit and are not described as being any different from the standard Kajiit in basic physical build.

And as much as I "lore monger", I am still hoping for the Anthro Shark race, Castanics, Asari, and anything else that people would be willing to add.

The Akaviri Tsaesci would probably make an interesting addition to Skyrim in my opinion. In fact, I would even say that the game needs more beast races. There are less "breeds" of humans than there are of the Kajiit alone, but no one really bothers to make them (although most of them would just probably be rescaled and retextured with different abilities).

I have no problem with people who like to stay lore friendly, but maybe it would be better not to comment on a mod you don't like at all.

I simply referred to the Dagi-Rhat as a Khajit-Bosmer hybrid as there is plenty of lore evidence that shows the compatibility between Khajit and Mer and Khajit and Men, and lore that establishes documented interbreeding between Khajit and Bosmer, of which the Dagi-Rhat could be the byproduct thereof, but as you said there are less human genetic variants than there are Khajit ones so largely the potential for Khajit genetic variances are pretty large. All Skyrim and Oblivion and even Morrowind and Daggerfall before that really presented to us was the genetic baseline for each of the known sentient races of the continent of Tamriel on Nirn.

There is a lot of elbow room in Nirn lore for just about anything to be honest, there are plenty of continents out there that have never even been represented other than in brief mention.

I simply referred to the Dagi-Rhat as a Khajit-Bosmer hybrid as there is plenty of lore evidence that shows the compatibility between Khajit and Mer and Khajit and Men, and lore that establishes documented interbreeding between Khajit and Bosmer, of which the Dagi-Rhat could be the byproduct thereof, but as you said there are less human genetic variants than there are Khajit ones so largely the potential for Khajit genetic variances are pretty large. All Skyrim and Oblivion and even Morrowind and Daggerfall before that really presented to us was the genetic baseline for each of the known sentient races of the continent of Tamriel on Nirn.

There is a lot of elbow room in Nirn lore for just about anything to be honest, there are plenty of continents out there that have never even been represented other than in brief mention.

And the amount of material in the lore that exists is what should be fueling modders that make new races. I don't need 50 types of Nord, I want more unique races.

Make mods that take you to Morrowind, Cyrodiil, and Hammerfell (without causing major disputes, of course). Go to Akavir or Aldmeris. Make something new. Boldly go where no man has gone before....

But, no. 50 shades of Nord and nagging everywhere...

Honestly, you could do everything in lore. High-heels to top hats, it could happen. Just not regional to Skyrim probably, but it can happen somewhere in the world. Trade routes exist, so goods can travel and show up anywhere. Anything can happen.

So why do people hate people for being different when making their Mod?

Why do people into furry/furs feel so oppressed when others don't like their stuff?

I'm into Star Trek. A lot of people don't like Star Trek. I'm into slash. There are people who don't like slash. I'm obviously into adult mods. There are a lot of people who are really, really not into that.

Yet I don't go crying oppression because  people don't like what I like. Why does it bother you so much that people don't like sexy wolfpeople? At the end of the day you are still allowed to like sexy wolfpeople.

People in fandoms argue with people in other fandoms.

I don't let people dictate what I want to do with my game, nor I diss people for the mods they use. I mean, I'm supposed to have fun playing instead of debating as to whether it's lore-friendly or not, and so I'd rather wade in and go CQB with a bunch of draugr than waste time arguing.

The only few times when I really have to criticize a mod is when it screws up my gameplay and I had to go back and use an old gamesave.

I remember what I said back when I was playing MMOs: "You are what you play."

Archived