Deadly Reflex Vs Unnecessary Violence II

Dee383

That is immposible to answer objectively!

I myself am a DR6 fanboy. However there are just as many fans of UV2 as there are of DR. Truthfully if you can't make up your mind you can install BOTH.

DR http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8273

UV2 http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40310

DR has more downloads but has been around forever. UV2 was just released this Sept.

I'm mostly going to agree with Grega.

At the moment, I'm running DR5 (DR6 doesn't like a custom mod I made) and SSS. I've tried UV and while I liked a lot of it, it just seemed too ambitious. Some of the functions feel rather clunky, especially the dual wield.

Awkwardness aside, I realize that my opinion is based largely on two other factors. Firstly, my Oblivion is a button-mash-ocalypse. I have functions mapped all over the place thanks to DR5 and SSS. Switching UV in would require me to remap and relearn. Secondly, DR fits my play style best. It's just easier for me to run DR5 and SSS together, and I like the effects they generate.

Your best bet is to run a clean install and try one and then the other. See which handles best for you.

I'm using DR5 right now, but I'm tempted to go back to DR6.

I actually prefer everything about DR6 over DR5 but one, crucial thing. I hate the momentum system in DR6.

I hate that I can never garantee a fatality kill in DR6 like in DR5 with 100% fatality chance, even if I modify the ini.

But everything else in DR6 is superior in my opinion.

hmm i like UVII it works with my skeleton and the animation mod i use.

dr6 never liked my animation mod it tended to break :(

i agree that UV has a very cludge way of duel wielding, but hey what can you do with a game with no dwing? :)

i like SSS but i can't get it to fire right sometimes.

i agree that UV has a very cludge way of duel wielding' date=' but hey what can you do with a game with no dwing? :)

[/quote']

Not to veer us off track but which version are you running, Goat?

If I understand you correctly, my SSS does the same thing. Sometimes it just appears to forget to do the blade-wave or fire the gun. As weird as this sounds, when mine does it I cycle the forms and then go to Sword Master and press the style button. For whatever reason that seems to wake SSS up again.

i agree that UV has a very cludge way of duel wielding' date=' but hey what can you do with a game with no dwing? :)

[/quote']

Not to veer us off track but which version are you running, Goat?

If I understand you correctly, my SSS does the same thing. Sometimes it just appears to forget to do the blade-wave or fire the gun. As weird as this sounds, when mine does it I cycle the forms and then go to Sword Master and press the style button. For whatever reason that seems to wake SSS up again.

the one found on nexus, i tried the custom one someone linked and it worked even worse than the one on nexus for me.

the one found on nexus, i tried the custom one someone linked and it worked even worse than the one on nexus for me.

Wow, really? I was one of the people that linked SSS Kustom. My experience is the exact opposite. The one on Nexus won't work for me at all, but Kustom and .999 work just fine. SSS is a strange beast.

Back to the main topic, I completely overlooked that about the animations. DR6 does have some awful ones and it seems to be geared directly to them. The blood-splatter effect is nice, but the rest just didn't suit me.

Having tried both combat systems, here my take on it.

DR6 works only if you're a more melee orientated combat where you only do button mashing. I quite liked the decapitation system and as well as the various combat tweaks done. Overall it seems like a nice system.

However, there are a lot of drawbacks to this system. One easy to nitpick is the custom animations and (most importantly) the skeleton that's used. The custom animations overwrite the basic one so you cannot go back to the original ones. Also, the skeleton used is very odd as it doesn't seem as flexible as growlf's version. Plus BBB won't work on this skeleton unless you have a compatible patched skeleton. Finally, DR6 is the better out of DR5 and DR6. However, you need to install a lot of dependent mods JUST TO GET IT TO WORK. That breaks my number one rule of modding which is 'Keep it simple, stupid' i.e. don't depend on a shitload of mods to work.

UVII is a lot less complex as DR but it does work surprisingly well considering. There is quite a lot of work but I expect they'll get on top of it soon. Plus all of this is configured in the ini which makes it better and neater than DR6. One last thing to note is that DR6 is still riddled with bugs and the author isn't updating it so that's another plus for this one as the author is determined to support this mod.

Downsides? Well, there is a lot of required keystrokes in this one compared to DR6. A lot of the nice features require a near empty keyboard really. Again, no BBB support for the combat skeleton and need to disable amputations which I can live with really but takes some of the immersion away. And finally, the blood work isn't there but I suppose a blood splatter mod would solve that.

Out of the two, I'd prefer UV2 but as a all-in-one solution, it really depends on what your combat style is.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there some guide to make UVII and Deadly Reflex 6 work perfectly together? I see to miss some feature from UVII even though I installed as they suggested -> first UVII then DR 6.

There's a patch on tesnexus so that you can use both. Check the UV2 page in the description.

Archived