Construction Set + OBSE crashes on startup

Ever since I've brought a new PC about three years ago the Construction Set Extender crashes on startup.

When I run the standard Construction Set it works just fine, and right after installing the CS I can even run CSE, however when I try to load any mod and thus have to load "Oblivion.esm" the CS crashes. After that the CSE crashes immediately on startup, and the standard CS crashes when loading "Oblivion.esm".

About I year or so ago I've asked for help in the developer's thread at forums.bethsoft but he was at a loss what might cause this issue; so I guess I try my luck and see if someone of you guys happen to know how to fix this.

Btw: I've upgraded my OS from Windows 7 32bit to 64bit a few weeks ago but the issue remains.

Because I think that you have already read instructions about Win7, I omit it.

The past log file does not matter.

Please confirm the log file that CS was terminated abnormally just after that.

CS may not start because of Plugin which MOD provides.

I suggest that it starts after you excluded Plugin irrelevant to the CS.

In addition, is necessary DLL placed appropriately?

Is necessary DLL not short?

If you have installed Steam to a folder within Program Files or Program Files (x86) then you may face this problem.

I have had this problem in the past, I will create a step by step for you and post it here when it is finished. Hopefully it will fix the issue.

When you installed the Construction Kit did it say anything about being in Experimental mode?

I'm using the latest (beta) OBSE and the latest CS Extender (which has some very nice features), and I can't open oblivion.esm either. I note that this version gives you the award 'Brave' if you even try to do this (followed by 'saboteur' when it crashes), so maybe it's better not to? You do not need to open oblivion.esm for any editing task I've tried.

I can open and edit plugins and other masters with generally few problems (the render window is screwed up somehow, so I have to use the original CS if I want to use that).

Have you tried just editing a plugin since you upgraded?

• 1 month later...

This is why I have stuck with CSE v5 and OBSE v20.

The latest CSE relies on a beta version of OBSE and is not as stable or reliable.  The couple of cool features are not worth the hassle.

RE: CSE 6.0 & OBSE 21

Is this no longer being developed?

With CSE 5, with some of the MODs I've been trying to alter, everything from NPCs, armor, clothng and scripts, it complains and will often crash if any of the above start with an integer or number. Cannot even access the NPC animation tab, Full as that results in an immediate crash of CS+CSE.

Short of totally rewritng/reworking a MOD's item and script names, to not use integers, is there any known workaround?

@varenne
 I beleive shadeMe is still active on v6.
 I have been using CSEv6 & obse21 for several months now without problems.
 Keep in mind though I still run XP 32bit windows.
 If you decide to try v6. Carefully read over the requirements and install instructions.
 I have read it is best to completely uninstall previous cse versions before starting.
 This link will have the link to the release thread(s) so if you have issues you can bring
 them up there.
 I have worked with a few mods that have integer IDs and v6 warns you but lets you work with it.

The PRO for me on v6 is the script editor. Makes it alot easier to read, edit, and mangle scripts with
 good debug feedback.
 Most everything a mod has created or edited will be highlighted and placed at the top of the lists
 like in the object window and cell window. Less time scrolling through to spot the *.

I can empathise with gregathit- if it works, dont mess with it.
 But if the tool is not getting the job done, you may have to take a chance and try a version that
 could be successful for you.

Mem

Guest ThatOne

Are you using Pluggy\Pluggy_HUD? If you are, try updating it or (temporarily) removing it. Same for every other OBSE plugin. Alose, remember that the CSE requires you to have a mic plugged in to your computer (at least, mine does).

@ mem4ob4 - Yeah, I have both CSE 60-36370-6-0.zip and obse_0021_beta_3.zip sitting in my download folder. Think I may have downloaded them and never tried 'em on my previous PC build.

I finally weened myself off of WinXP 32, but still miss it. That was eventually one fairly solid O/S. Running Win7 64-bit on all machines except laptop, which will be replaced sometime this year with a new one so not bothering to upgrade that O/S.

And yeah, when it comes to utilities and tools I tend to read over the install/setup a couple or few times and make sure I totally have everything I need to make it work; a total uninstall of prior versions is a key one I've read too.

I can empathise with gregathit- if it works, dont mess with it.

Yeah, that's me too   :P   ; if it ain't broke don't fix it. Problem with CSE 5 though is it's not letting me compile any scripts that report errors, and I also like being able to review NPCs in the Preview window, test out animations, etc. so I may have no choice but to move up to 6 and hope for the best. Good to know shadeMe is still <possibly> active on v6.

@ ThatOne - OBSE_Elys_Pluggy.log shows me as being on Pluggy Version: 128. The only newer version is Pluggy Dev v132-23979.7z, is that what you are running? I have a small collection of others and all are current, but NOT dev.

And have to have a mic installed?! What a rather odd requirement... <Looks around for a headphone jack...>

The MOD I'm currently researching/repurposing is Vilja (Companion Vilja 4 04 ESP-28977.7z)

I like the auto-equip/unequip bikini function (1emmOptionsSwimOutfitMenuScript and 1emmViljaStartCombatScript) and wanted to extend it to use other bikini/body models; DMRA B4. I managed a 'hack' by pointing one of the existing STD bikinis to the DMRA nif, which works, but would rather extend the script to include those as an option. CSE 5 doesn't seem to be compiling the script changes I make, when I tried that.

2nd goal would be to see if I can then use the entire script and adapt it for use with my PC. I have used Reapers Auto Equip Bikini, but you have to manually re-equip when no longer in swimming mode. The desired end result would be more like the one for Vilja in that you would have menus to select which bikini/body and color option to go with, and from then on it would auto equip/unequip. That would give players a huge options base of bikinis and body types to choose from, once built. In some ways very similar to gerr6's setbody reloaded.

Thanks for the input/feedback. Think I'll wait till my next phase of downtime between employment contracts for this. I have to be in Charlotte, NC Saturday for new work on Monday. New MSI mother board is getting RMA'ed back to them Friday, so that leaves part of the week to play with existing changes I've made to Oblivion, before I totally disassemble this PC.

Cheers

Guest ThatOne
@ ThatOne - OBSE_Elys_Pluggy.log shows me as being on Pluggy Version: 128. The only newer version is Pluggy Dev v132-23979.7z, is that what you are running? I have a small collection of others and all are current, but NOT dev.

And have to have a mic installed?! What a rather odd requirement... <Looks around for a headphone jack...>

It might be just my system that needs a mic. I'm not entirely sure why it does, but I do know that if I attempt to run the CSE without one plugged in it will crash on start-up.

As for pluggy, I'm currently using the dev v132. It might not be the source of the crashes, but it never hurts to be sure.

CSE still complains about integer starting names for NPCs, objects, etc., but I'm now able to see NPCs in Full mode where before it would crash. That's a plus since I can now test run animations in the special folder. I don't use any one set, more of mix of this and that for specific NPCs. Someday I'll write my own Specialanims.esp, but this is definately an improvement.

I'll try editing & saving a script and see if that works now too. I have a feeling though that will require upgrading OBSE to beta 21 and CSE to 6. With only a few days left to muck around with Oblivion, not high on my priority list.

I'm now beginning to think the MOD authors did this on purpose, to prevent others from easily altering their MOD. Or they didn't use CSE...

Some of the Japanese MODs I've reviewed and altered though, they just way way off the farm with their MOD development and script code use.  :P

Eh, the more time I spend digging into them the more I learn, not exactly a waste of time, IMO.

• 9 months later...

CS may not start because of Plugin which MOD provides.
I suggest that it starts after you excluded Plugin irrelevant to the CS.
In addition, is necessary DLL placed appropriately?
Is necessary DLL not short?

I did that and it works... thank you very much Perfectioncat

I just create a new folder called "restore files in this folder HERE" within the Plugins folder and move everything but files: "Construction Set Extender.dll", Construction Set Extender.ini and the CSE folder into that folder. now folder ...\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\ looks like this:

CSE\

restore files in this folder HERE\

Construction Set Extender.dll

Construction Set Extender.ini 

I named the folder that way just case I forgot where the heck I'm supossed to move those files when I'm done editing. so if you're a baloon head like me?, it would be nice to have something to remember :P

Archived