WIndows 10 upgrade...

Looks like I may have to finally upgrade my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10....didn't pay much attention to the Modsgarden discussions since I figured I'd never have to do it, but now I may have to - I know there are a few considerations, especially when running Hook 5, so any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Running Klub 17 will be a high priority (after I get a job!) Glad we're all gathered here, & thanks...

10 hours ago, Frank Sumatra said:

Looks like I may have to finally upgrade my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10....didn't pay much attention to the Modsgarden discussions since I figured I'd never have to do it, but now I may have to - I know there are a few considerations, especially when running Hook 5, so any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Running Klub 17 will be a high priority (after I get a job!) Glad we're all gathered here, & thanks...

It's been a long time since I used Win7 (such a great OS) so I probably don't remember every snag I hit with Tk17, but I seem to remember these differences compared to Win7:

- When running in windowed mode the task bar is always visible and covers the bottom of the game screen. I have to either run in full screen or hide the task bar in Win10.

- Alt-Tab hangs the game with an empty, black screen when using Hook5. Workaround is to Alt-Tab after the very first menu appears on screen. If you do that you can Alt-Tab to your hearts content for the rest of the session. Weird, but it works.

I seem to remember that not everyone has these issues, so ymmv. Good luck!

I've only had Alt+Tab problems when running in DirectX mode (unavoidable if you're running Hook). It's a windows problem, not the game. Since Windows 7, the GUI has used DX natively. It was a bigger problem in 7 than in 10. I still get it all the time, because I use GTA San Andreas as a backdrop for my stories (usually it's GTA that locks up). Running 2 DX games at once is a surefire way of causing it. I've never had it happen in OpenGL mode. That's not to say that it can't.

On 12/2/2020 at 4:20 PM, Frank Sumatra said:

Thanks Ejax, hfg2, & Ozif for all the tips; I seem to remember something about DX12 conflicts with Windows 10, not too sure if I need to do anything...

Appreciate the info...

Just have a look at the _HOOK5_README.txt file when you install Hook. It lays out what you need to do for DX12. I.e. install some necessary elements from previous DirectX versions that are missing from DX12. Don't worry, it won't "downgrade" your DirectX 12 version or break it. It will just add missing elements needed for Hook5 and this old game.