Need help applying mods

msiman

3 minutes ago, yetana9785 said:

this is a useful additional guide. and as ever only load the game through the exe in the binaries folder...

i followed this but it doesnt show where to put the hook files, the game works but its old and after i add hook files i get a grey box and an error message. i put ALL the unzipped hook files in the binaries folder like he said

5 minutes ago, msiman said:

i followed this but it doesnt show where to put the hook files, the game works but its old and after i add hook files i get a grey box and an error message. i put ALL the unzipped hook files in the binaries folder like he said

Hey, fellow noob here.

Uninstall VX and reinstall it. If you want Hook, first you have to back up your Binaries folder BEFORE adding the Hook files. I have both Hook4 and Hook5 ready to install but haven't gotten to it since I'm doing comic book work with Screenshots that don't have Hook. But don't really bother. Hook just makes the game more pretty and somewhat immersive with the different rooms, but a lot of that content is behind an actual paywall. So, I suggest you do this:

-Uninstall and reinstall VX.

- All mods you have for your TK4ch Repack can be added easily: Any and all .txx files go into Addons now, not Archives/2.114.001. VX will automatically convert all .txx files into .zip for you. Keep in mind that shoving everything in there could make the conversion not work for the first booting of the game. Also, don't bother adding a lot of hairs to VX since it already comes packed with a lot of the mods from the MG days.

- Textures will go on Mod/ActiveMod like always. However, consider that some of those mods won't show up if you don't have the right addon for it. Skins are not that much of a problem, but they won't look the same way they do on Hook if you got exclusive skins for it. Same with clothing, shoes and accesories.

- VX comes loaded with rooms as well, but some of them don't work/have no textures from the get-go. From my own experience, they are the Metro, Pedestrian Area and the City Apartment. What works and what doesn't depends on your install and graphics.

- ALWAYS run VX through the DirectX option. Especially if you want to use Hook.

Hope I helped a bit.

5 minutes ago, yetana9785 said:

Binaries: Don't play with the /binaries folder other than to add hook (which is simple drag and drop)...

I don't know how that could be any clearer

What does the error message say?

?

i got it working, there were 3 hook files and one of them had to go into mods/activemods not binaries. is there a listing of mods and the addons they work with anywhere? sorry for the stupid questions

6 minutes ago, GuyInTheTrapperHat said:

Hey, fellow noob here.

Uninstall VX and reinstall it. If you want Hook, first you have to back up your Binaries folder BEFORE adding the Hook files. I have both Hook4 and Hook5 ready to install but haven't gotten to it since I'm doing comic book work with Screenshots that don't have Hook. But don't really bother. Hook just makes the game more pretty and somewhat immersive with the different rooms, but a lot of that content is behind an actual paywall. So, I suggest you do this:

-Uninstall and reinstall VX.

- All mods you have for your TK4ch Repack can be added easily: Any and all .txx files go into Addons now, not Archives/2.114.001. VX will automatically convert all .txx files into .zip for you. Keep in mind that shoving everything in there could make the conversion not work for the first booting of the game. Also, don't bother adding a lot of hairs to VX since it already comes packed with a lot of the mods from the MG days.

- Textures will go on Mod/ActiveMod like always. However, consider that some of those mods won't show up if you don't have the right addon for it. Skins are not that much of a problem, but they won't look the same way they do on Hook if you got exclusive skins for it. Same with clothing, shoes and accesories.

- VX comes loaded with rooms as well, but some of them don't work/have no textures from the get-go. From my own experience, they are the Metro, Pedestrian Area and the City Apartment. What works and what doesn't depends on your install and graphics.

- ALWAYS run VX through the DirectX option. Especially if you want to use Hook.

Hope I helped a bit.

appreciate it, i was just about to ask how do i move stuff over from the repack.

4 minutes ago, yetana9785 said:

nope never seen that. and I'd wager putting it in your binaries wouldn't break the game anyway. it just took you a few attempts to get it to work - we've all been there.

there's one folder called something like _hook5data or whatever - that does belong in activemod, for sure.

moving stuff over is as Bad_Penny outlined. Be sure to take care over skin renaming - and note that only 4x skins need renaming in this manner. In the TK4 repack they'll be in the AM folder and preceded by H5B or some such. IIRC there will be skins for "type o", "type n", "tera" and "monique" and others - all of these can be moved over and will work if the files they contain are renamed correctly.

happy gaming.

_hook5data is in the StarterContent/Activemod folder, but i also have one in binaries that contains scripts  /: idk but it seems to be working now. appreciate the help!!

19 hours ago, yetana9785 said:

this is a useful additional guide. and as ever only load the game through the exe in the binaries folder...

It PAINS ME to see the same ill-informed advice being given to to this day!

FOR THE RECORD:

When you start the program via TK17-*****.EXE you are loading your path data from the REGISTRY. This is the default behavior for a FULL INSTALLATION.

When you start the program via TK17_LAUNCHER.EXE you are loading your path data from PORTABLE.REG in your SAVE folder. This is the default behavior for a PORTABLE INSTALLATION. Apart from the lack of start menu items this is the only functional difference between the two installation types.

When you start the program via PLAY_THE_KLUB_17.EXE you are telling the program to make the decision automatically based on your setup. This is the default method for both installation types. Whether you intend to use this method or not, it is necessary to start this way AT LEAST ONCE immediately following installation so the program can create its work folders and enter all of the necessary path data.

ANY TIME YOU WANT TO UPDATE YOUR PATH DATA SO IT IS THE SAME FOR ALL METHODS double-click the PORTABLE.REG file in your SAVE folder to add it to the registry.

*PRO TIP: Since Actors and rooms are stored as part of your path data, this can be a useful thing if you frequently switch back and forth between different rooms and/or actors. It's almost like having two different installations. Simply choose Launcher or EXE to load your preferred setup.

"ill-informed" means speaking from a position of ignorance or misunderstanding. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. But this tome about "always start from the executable" is a bit of misinformation which has been incorrectly passed around for years. And, YES, if it appears in the guide to which you refer, it should be removed.

1 hour ago, yetana9785 said:

Would you care to browse the expanded VX guide I posted, and rip that to pieces as well?

I just noticed it was Bad_Penny's guide you are referring to. If you refer back to his original post, you'll notice I had already "ripped it apart" (not completely, but I covered the important stuff). Note that the deleted post immediately following it was him calling me a twat (NOT the reason he was eventually banned). :)

7 minutes ago, yetana9785 said:

I don't agree. Using the root folder exe always crashes my game. I will offer my advice and you can offer yours.

If the game is crashing because you ran the exe in the root folder, that is a result of either hook or reshade not having the proper path data. Again, the solution is as I described.

26 minutes ago, yetana9785 said:

And the best solution to not even care about that crash is... use the binaries .exe. I can't even believe we're having this discussion.

It's actually NOT the best solution. And if you understood what I said about how the EXEs work, you'd know why

IF the program crashes by any other method than by running the exe in binaries, it means that either The Klub, Hook, Reshade, or some other addon in your setup does not have the complete path data. Usually, that arises from trying to install everything at once, before doing the essential stuff: like running the program to create the necessary work folders; getting DirectX and .NET setup, which absolutely has to be done in Windows 10; and applying the 4gb patch... ALL of which has to be done before you start installing mods, otherwise you're going to have nothing but problems down the road (it's arguable that you're going to have nothing but problems with Hook5 and reshade anyhow, but that's a whole other discussion).

12 minutes ago, yetana9785 said:

And the best solution to not even care about that crash is... use the binaries .exe. I can't even believe we're having this discussion.

It's actually NOT the best solution. And if you understood what I said about how the EXEs work, you'd know why

IF the program crashes by any other method than by running the exe in binaries, it means that either The Klub, Hook, Reshade, or some other addon in your setup does not have the complete path data. Usually, that arises from trying to install everything at once, before doing the essential stuff: like running the program to create the necessary work folders; getting DirextX and .NET setup, which absolutely has to be done in Windows 10; and applying the 4gb patch... ALL of which has to be done before you start installing mods, otherwise you're going to have nothing but problems down the road (it's arguable that you're going to have nothing but problems with Hook5 and reshade anyhow, but that's a whole other discussion).

This is a very basic program - understanding just how simple it really is helps a lot with seeing your way through modifications! 

Texture folders can be screwed with almost indefinitely - archives/addons is a matter of applying ONE thing, seeing what happens, and then removing it IMMEDIATELY if it doesn't work. Working systematically is essential to using the Klub, but it's also what makes it great when you get the hang of it: it's such a straight-forward process of copy/pasting files, booting it up, and then removing them if they don't work.  

43 minutes ago, Joaku said:

it's such a straight-forward process of copy/pasting files, booting it up, and then removing them if they don't work.  

I've really only found a handful of things that will crash this program if everything is where it's supposed to be. One is a hamburger, of all things! I know it has to be a script error, but I don't know enough to debug it. I'll figure it out someday, if I ever get hungry enough. :)