Error - Counter out of range

Thnx HypnoSoul!

Im an newbie, but really love this program!  I run VX, latest update.

I just dont seem to manage to add new rooms!  I understand I need the Addon folder and the Textures folder. But when I download both parts of a room and copy them to Addons and Mod/ Activemod, I only get 'black' rooms ingame

What am i doing wrong??

6 minutes ago, chielie said:

Thnx HypnoSoul!

Im an newbie, but really love this program!  I run VX, latest update.

I just dont seem to manage to add new rooms!  I understand I need the Addon folder and the Textures folder. But when I download both parts of a room and copy them to Addons and Mod/ Activemod, I only get 'black' rooms ingame

What am i doing wrong??

To install new rooms you'll need two parts (I attached a room to be used as example). The TXX file (should be similar to mine) goes, as it is, in the Addon folder. The other part, a folder that should be named as "R_Roomname" goes, as it is, in the Mod/Activemod folder. Hope this will help you.

R9Room337.rar

6 hours ago, HypnoSoul said:

To install new rooms you'll need two parts (I attached a room to be used as example). The TXX file (should be similar to mine) goes, as it is, in the Addon folder. The other part, a folder that should be named as "R_Roomname" goes, as it is, in the Mod/Activemod folder. Hope this will help you.

R9Room337.rar 25.9 MB · 1 download

Thats  exactly what I did.! But this works only with TXX files (and separate Texture folder). How does this work with Rooms-folders containing Images/Scenes/Scripts?  Hope you understand me?

4 hours ago, chielie said:

But this works only with TXX files (and separate Texture folder). How does this work with Rooms-folders containing Images/Scenes/Scripts?  Hope you understand me?

If you extract a TXX you'll have a folder with Images/Scenes/Scripts subfolders. Any time you see that folder structure it goes in Addons. If it's just a folder full of loose images, txf's txt's, etc., that goes in ActiveMod.

When importing new poses via Contenimporter

don't.

Just copy them to the Poses directory or (even better) a sub-directory in Poses. I've got folders like Poses\Solo, Poses\BDSM to keep them sorted

The game will use this folder structure in the Poses menus

DO NOT USE the Save directory - i suspect ContentImporter is still doing that but things have changed.

In VX, Poses go in Poses

39 minutes ago, Marburg said:

don't.

Just copy them to the Poses directory or (even better) a sub-directory in Poses. I've got folders like Poses\Solo, Poses\BDSM to keep them sorted

The game will use this folder structure in the Poses menus

DO NOT USE the Save directory - i suspect ContentImporter is still doing that but things have changed.

In VX, Poses go in Poses

Is it possible to do it in the game or via file manager ?

it doesn't HAVE to be zipped. A typical addon has this folder structure:

[root folder] -> Images\etc...
                     ->Scenes\etc...
                     ->Scripts\etc...

The root folder ( and it's subfolders  of course ) CAN be zipped in a Zipfile with the same name as the root folder but this is not required. It just saves a bit of disk space.

But you can also just copy the root folder and its subdirectories to Addons.

it's likely to fuck up the game!

VERY likely. file R9AddonScript controls which addons are recognized by the game.

VX will probably block large parts of that archive because it tries to override "protected" files but some might creep through.

Do not install any of these old R9Addon scripts!

The latest update P of VX already includes a full list of all older addons.

Newer addons that were built for VX don't even need this file.

There's one more potential avenue of failure that maybe deserves attention... Recently, the ability to run scripts from ActiveMod was added to the game. That adds a whole new level of mod possibilities, but it also means one can potentially break the game simply by dropping an Addon into ActiveMod (a typical noob maneuver). Before AM scripts it would have just sat there and done nothing.

Eh... not really. There is a very limited number of scripts that can be run from an AM folder (IIRC just two...) and ONLY in the context of loading that room. They have to be specifically coded and properly named to be loaded and executed. Installing an Addon in AM achieves exactly nothing, just like putting a texture folder in Addons.

4 hours ago, Marburg said:

Eh... not really. There is a very limited number of scripts that can be run from an AM folder (IIRC just two...) and ONLY in the context of loading that room. They have to be specifically coded and properly named to be loaded and executed. Installing an Addon in AM achieves exactly nothing, just like putting a texture folder in Addons.

Well, I never actually played with it, I just figured if it could read one script it could read all of them, same as Addons or VX-mod.

No. the game looks for specific files.

Likewise, putting just any old script in VX-Mod (or indeed an Addon) doesn't mean it will be actually loaded and parsed. Thats not how it works. The program doesn't just load everything it encounters; it always looks for specific files in specific folders. 

I can hear you say: but what about those overlay *.bs files in the Images folder of some rooms? They are explicitly loaded in AcRoom.bs or they would be ignored.

3 hours ago, Marburg said:

I can hear you say: but what about those overlay *.bs files in the Images folder of some rooms? They are explicitly loaded in AcRoom.bs or they would be ignored.

Then how does it know to load an addon in the first place? I understand it has to be defined in Archives or VX-Mod, but the path apparently isn't a factor because I'm forever changing folder names. I just assumed that meant this program would run a script from anywhere it knew to look for one. Never actually tested the idea. I'd rather use it than abuse it, you know what I'm sayin' ? :)

Folder name is just a part of the filepath and in the case of addons, not really significant.
In VX, addons that are built for VX no longer have to be declared in a master list - that's  how 7.5 worked.
(remember how you always had to install the latest Addon script in 7.5 but not in VX?)
VX still has that master list BTW but only for older "legacy" 7.5 addons

Suppose you have room VX.MarburgRoom3.Stonehenge installed in Addons (as a folder NOT as a ZIP file!).
It would still work if you renamed the root folder to VX. EJAX_lives_here_now_Sucker!!!
As long as there's a Scenes\Luder\ etc folder, the room scene file MarburgRoom3.bs will be found.
But if you changed the name of that script to something else or put it in Scripts\etc , it would no longer work.
(exception to the rule is the ActiveMod texture list that can be located anywhere in the folder tree)

In Active Mod ROOM folders, it's ONLY the filename that is signficant but the folder name isn't so you can have several AM versions of the same room. (it all makes sense!)
Ditto for clothes.. you can have hundreds versions of the same cloth but they all have to be named exactly the same but in different AM folders.
But with Active Mod for TOYS the folder name IS significant - you can can only have 1 AM texture for a toy (confused yet?)

the game uses a virtual filesystem where everything - every room, toy, clothing etc - is "merged" in the same virtual folder structure.
ALL room scenes (standard or custom addons) are always loaded from Scenes\Luder\Room\
if you look at any AcRoom.bs script you will see that the "Scenes" part of the virtual filepath is not even used because scenes HAVE to be loaded from there.
Similar mechanisms are used for toys and clothes; they are all merged to the virtual filesystem when you start up the game.

This also means you could have a Addon folder with a room, several toys and or clothing.
As long as the internal path structure follows the rules for each category, they will be loaded and available.
Berger's Gym uses this principle to install two related fitness toys. But if you put those Toy scripts in the rooms path Scenes\Luder\etc... they wont work.

In short: while it may look like the game simply (or rather: foolishly!) loads everything it finds, the opposite is true.

4 hours ago, Marburg said:

VX still has that master list BTW but only for older "legacy" 7.5 addons

That's pretty much all I have (except for your latest edition of CJ's House, which I haven't got around to messing with yet).

the game uses a virtual filesystem where everything - every room, toy, clothing etc - is "merged" in the same virtual folder structure.

ALL room scenes (standard or custom addons) are always loaded from Scenes\Luder\Room\

So, basically, the program sees the entire Addons folder as one big Images/Scenes/Scripts tree, and anything that doesn't conform to that layout is ignored?

And then does it have priority over VX-Mod, or vice-versa? I would think the latter. And then AM overrules them all..

So, basically, the program sees the entire Addons folder as one big Images/Scenes/Scripts tree, and anything that doesn't conform to that layout is ignored?

Basically yes. And there's a similar approach with toys, clothes etc.

And this has some interesting side effects. As long as you have the full pathname, you can load textures from another room or a toy in your room scene file.

(of course this only works if that other room or toy is actually installed so its not recommended!).

As far as i know VX-Mod always has priority and is loaded first in the virtual filesystem.

Then the assets from Archives are loaded. They cannot replace anything already loaded from VX-Mod. That's why we have a non-standard Customizer for instance - it is loaded from VX-Mod and the standard Customizer setup in Archives is simply ignored.

Next come the Addons. They can "overwrite" Archive files in the virtual filesystem, for instance to replace the standard Loft with a modded version.

But again, they can't overwrite anything from VX-Mod

That's why many old body replacers do not work correctly in VX; they try to load files that have protected status now.

The correct way to change anything in those VX-Mod files is through the "sandboxed" update.lua script but that's beyond the scope of this answer ;)

Active Mod only comes into play once a room is loaded thru an AM folder menu entry.

The game first loads the standard textures for that room (if any) from the Images foldertree  (you can see this in your VX-addon.log).

Then it uses the ActiveMod texture list to looks for those specific filenames in the selected AM folder (sidenote AM folders are scanned and indexed at launch)

If it can find one or more of them, they will replace the original textures.

AM scripts have even more restrictions as they cannot overrule VX-Mod, Archives or Addons

In short: the last in line doesn't overrule the rest, it's the other way around.

On 11/14/2020 at 6:59 PM, HypnoSoul said:

The folder containing those 3 subfolder must be zipped (.zip extension, not .rar).

Try add also this file as it is in the addon folder

Custom.02.R9AddOnScripts.v6.06.zip 2.86 MB · 3 downloads

Ok! I seem to have managed to get some new rooms loaded! Still some stay dark (I see the models but in an black environment..) And I also notice that these new rooms dont seem to have dynamic lightning (the one you can move with ctr-L) How come?