The basic strategy is to do the following.

1. Launch the game with debug mode enabled, and open the Portrait Editor from the console window.
  2. Mess around with the various genes to get a character that looks how you want.
  3. Click the "Copy DNA" button and then open up a text editor and paste that string somewhere. We'll come back to it in a bit.
  4. Decompress your save file using an archiving tool (I use WinRAR, but 7zip and similar work for this too).
  5. Open the gamestate file in a text editor. It is a big file so it might take a minute to load.
  6. Search for your character by name. I usually rename my initial ruler to something unique so it is easy to find.
    1. Your player character is referenced twice in the save file. Once at the very top with a bunch of "meta_" values. And again in the middle of the file which will include things like your skills and traits. You want to modify this second version. The first one at the top is only used for the thumbnail image in the Load Game menu and won't have any effect once you load the game.
  7. Replace their DNA string with the one we saved in Step 3.
  8. Save the gamestate file.
  9. Rename the gamestate file to add a .ck3 extension, making it gamestate.ck3
  10. Move it into your save folder next to your other saves.
  11. Launch the game and load the gamestate save from the Load Game menu.
19 minutes ago, kincade said:

The basic strategy is to do the following.

1. Launch the game with debug mode enabled, and open the Portrait Editor from the console window.
  2. Mess around with the various genes to get a character that looks how you want.
  3. Click the "Copy DNA" button and then open up a text editor and paste that string somewhere. We'll come back to it in a bit.
  4. Decompress your save file using an archiving tool (I use WinRAR, but 7zip and similar work for this too).
  5. Open the gamestate file in a text editor. It is a big file so it might take a minute to load.
  6. Search for your character by name. I usually rename my initial ruler to something unique so it is easy to find.
    1. Your player character is referenced twice in the save file. Once at the very top with a bunch of "meta_" values. And again in the middle of the file which will include things like your skills and traits. You want to modify this second version. The first one at the top is only used for the thumbnail image in the Load Game menu and won't have any effect once you load the game.
  7. Replace their DNA string with the one we saved in Step 3.
  8. Save the gamestate file.
  9. Rename the gamestate file to add a .ck3 extension, making it gamestate.ck3
  10. Move it into your save folder next to your other saves.
  11. Launch the game and load the gamestate save from the Load Game menu.

Any way to do it with my mod? I've been working on it to add a ruler to 867 start, duchy of Cyprus. Everything is working but DNA doesn't function. And I can't find any reference mods to look up how it's done properly.