HD Mod and Realistic Graphics

I've seen some screenshots of people's games and the characters and graphics look better and more realistic. My rig is capable of playing the latest games in highest settings (RTX 2080)

Anyone able to guide me as to how to do this? I download a HD Mod but it did nothing. I've read about reshade but wouldn't know where to start. 

Anyone able to help?

Question is for sims 3 (and 4 when I eventually start playing it) 

Thanks 

4 hours ago, m.lloyd said:

but it did nothing

Are you using a detailed skin? Although normal clothes and accessories look better with the HQ mod the skin made by EA is very simple so it will be hard to notice any improvement.

Here you can find several skins and also you can find eye contacts, eyebrows, and other stuff to make you sim more realistic.

Aside from that make sure the game recognizes your GPU (manual method or using an utility), cap your FPS using the nvidia control panel (the game can’t show more than 60 frames even if you force it), use windowed mode with borderless if you want better “alt-tabbing” and if you’re fearless try running the game on vulkan.

EXTRA; how to install custom content just in case

4 hours ago, m.lloyd said:

(RTX 2080)

You really just need to go into your Nividia settings and play with them. Too many variants. And of course, as it sounds like your system can handle it, set in game graphics options as high as possible, without slowing the game. But again, sounds like your machine can handle it.

On this page is a link to graphics card info and system requirements with expansion packs running. Again, sounds like your machine is newer, and more capable than this list, but to give you an idea...

As to what Josh said about skins, yes... if your concern is nude skin detail, EA is poop! Many modder created skins use a 2048 x 2048 map. Much bigger package files, but look much better too. And for super machina... some skins are labeled HD, and are using 4096 x 4096 maps! EA is standard 1024 x 1024, as is 90% of CC made... except many Russian sites, which like 2048. Another nude detail is the normal map. Many use these... https://simplerealty.wordpress.com/the-sims-3/custom-content/you-are-real-by-buhudain/ 

^This will have tuning info which also helps certain things on Sims like body hair look much better. BTW I use all disks, and this info applies to me as well as any other types of installs (Origin/Steam).

I myself also run a HQ mod which basically helps Sims look in game as they do in CAS. While I don't argue this, I also realize CAS has special lighting which can't be duplicated in game. There were warnings about this mod frying graphics cards, but considering cards now are so much superior - I leave it up to the Users own knowledge concerning equipment - I myself have had it running on this gaming system ever since I installed the Sims 3 and my card is still fine (GTX 1080).

s3hq.exe Just place this in the documents folder where the errors, caches, and folders are found: Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3 and run it - it was originally meant for 'screen captures' but that was back when Graphic cards were weaker. I set it and forget it myself.  - IT WILL make older CC mods look blocky if they used a very low resolution image for texturing......

You might also look into lighting mods for the Sims 3 which either are/or are like ENB's - Mod The Sims has several presets which are nice - I use one myself.

Spoiler

Screenshot-588.jpg.8cbf5305a4eb8a71bb63043a1cc624a9.jpg

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the info! A lot to take on so will chew bits at a time. Okay, so for the skins, do I download one? Or more? When I download a skin does it chage skins used by my sims already I do need to make new sims? How do I find the skins? Assuming I just add them to the mods/packages folder?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, m.lloyd said:

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the info! A lot to take on so will chew bits at a time. Okay, so for the skins, do I download one? Or more? When I download a skin does it chage skins used by my sims already I do need to make new sims? How do I find the skins? Assuming I just add them to the mods/packages folder?

Thanks

If all of your Sims are using the EA skin, you can look for a download of a skin that is listed as a "Default replacement" . If it is a .package file, put it in your Mods folder, in packages or Overrides. I use Overrides, simply because there's less files in there and it's easier to find should I want to remove it at any stage. Personally, I tend to put anything that replaces the EA defaults into the Overrides folder. Next time you start the game, that new skin should be applied to all sims using the EA skin. From there, you can edit individual sims in CAS and change their particular skin to any others you have in-game. Any other skins should be labelled "non-default replacement", "non-defaults" or "ND", depending on creator, as you must only have one default replacement skin installed :)

So DR skins are applied automatically? Which is the best/realistic one? I've seen loads out there whilst browsing.

So for ND skins how are these applied? How are these selected? Sorry for all the questions but I'm completely new to modding..

I've been pretty much a console gamer and invested in a powerful rig a year ago so... Its all still pretty alien to me. 

9 minutes ago, StellarLare said:

If all of your Sims are using the EA skin, you can look for a download of a skin that is listed as a "Default replacement" . If it is a .package file, put it in your Mods folder, in packages or Overrides. I use Overrides, simply because there's less files in there and it's easier to find should I want to remove it at any stage. Personally, I tend to put anything that replaces the EA defaults into the Overrides folder. Next time you start the game, that new skin should be applied to all sims using the EA skin. From there, you can edit individual sims in CAS and change their particular skin to any others you have in-game. Any other skins should be labelled "non-default replacement", "non-defaults" or "ND", depending on creator, as you must only have one default replacement skin installed :)

52 minutes ago, m.lloyd said:

So DR skins are applied automatically? Which is the best/realistic one? I've seen loads out there whilst browsing.

So for ND skins how are these applied? How are these selected? Sorry for all the questions but I'm completely new to modding..

I've been pretty much a console gamer and invested in a powerful rig a year ago so... Its all still pretty alien to me. 

The best is definitely down to your personal preference :). I still like my sims to look a little cartoonish, so I don't have anything ultra-realistic to suggest, sorry. Just choose a DR skin that you like, or look at some of the suggestions above. Kurasoberina has some beautiful skins, but she deleted her old blog and finding pictures to check them out first is difficult, but they can be downloaded from here.

ND skins can just go into the packages folder, and these are selected in Create A Sim.  You can have as many of these as your game can handle, although to be able to access them properly (if you have a lot) you'll need such as cmar's skintone panel mod. It can be found here.  I only use the one called cmar_SkinTonePanel1.38.zip  

Spoiler

961436452_sims3CAS(2).png.99c29099efdf97a694d2c8b0ccb9ac71.png

46 minutes ago, m.lloyd said:

I'm also going to need default replacement for all ages? Correct? Both M and F? Or does a default skin just apply to all? 

Yes, they will apply automatically to any sim with the EA Default skin, and *most* will work for male and female sims, and for most ages.  Again, it depends on the creator. Some default replacement skins are made only for males, some only for females, but most for both.

5 hours ago, m.lloyd said:

invested in a powerful rig a year ago

Ain't it sweet? All that power, and now learning what it's good for? Try to learn about mod file management as well. Since you're 'new', you can learn from other's mistakes before you make them yourself. Above you were given some tips on placing certain files based on their use. You can also make sub-folders within the base package folder if your config file is properly configured. (Packages/*/*/*/*/*)

Learning to merge packages will be an advanced thing you'll want to learn as well if you find yourself loading up on mods and begin to see save load times increasing. There are many things players have figured out to make the most of the Sims 3 - either through settings changes, management of files, and mod use. EA left the players with a flawed game - you have the ability now as a PC user to fix most of that......

Okay, so I followed some of the links to recent animations, I am finding it difficult to get them into my game. The old ones on the KW download page are in there I believe but not the new ones I recently added. It says add the animations by typing "animations_name" but there is no option when I click on "Kinky World.." to type anything. Is this done in the console?

I haven't got round to adding default skins yet so I will update when I try. Baby steps at a time.

As for the management of mods, I am using folders and sub folders yeah. Merging packages, lets skip that for now and let me get used to adding mods haha. As for saving/load times, have already noticed a change since my game has progressed (using nraas story prog and other modules) and mods have been added.

3 hours ago, m.lloyd said:

recent animations

>>>> Now you know where to register the animations: No option when you click on Kinky World? You needed to go deeper, don't just rub the tip around - I suggest you open EVERY SINGLE MENU :)  Learn this mod - it's deep with lot's of options. Once you see names, when playing things will click in the back of your mind, and pretty soon you'll know where to look.....

21 hours ago, landess said:

>>>> Now you know where to register the animations: No option when you click on Kinky World? You needed to go deeper, don't just rub the tip around - I suggest you open EVERY SINGLE MENU :)  Learn this mod - it's deep with lot's of options. Once you see names, when playing things will click in the back of your mind, and pretty soon you'll know where to look.....

I've dug deep into all the menus and settings and I cannot find anything that allows me to add animations.

3 hours ago, m.lloyd said:

I've dug deep into all the menus and settings and I cannot find anything that allows me to add animations.

I made a follow the picture sequence and typed the location as well........  It's right there - you'll have to figure it out. Did you even open the link you quoted?

Re-read the OP/animation downloads again - each will reference this procedure as it's the only way to use the animations, before KW included a few as default (these are the ones which could be duplicated if you don't pay attention).