There's a simple framework for creating custom skill trees now

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/41780, by the great meh321 (author of things like immersive first-person view)

It provides easy support for adding custom skill trees.  Might be interesting to see skill trees for devious devices, SLEN, radiant prostitution, succubus race, etc.  It might also be interesting way to use custom skill trees simply as a way to display progressive changes in the character (implemented via auto-granted perks), like in a willpower/submission mod like devious followers or skooma whore.

Here were a few of meh321's thoughts on possible uses:

Some things I thought of that would be ideal for this:

An artifact weapon level up system (like the Dragonbane sword in vanilla game). The more you use specific weapon the more it levels up and you can have separate perks for it to improve and customize the weapon further. Or it can be weapon type like dagger, doesn't have to be specific weapon.

Spellcrafting. Lets say you have the beginning Flames spell, and the more you use it the more it levels up and gives its own separate perk points. Then you can improve and customize the spell by taking perks that give damage or range or reduced cost or add special effects like longer duration burning and so on. But you can't pick every option that's where the customization aspect comes in. Each spell in the game can have their own perk tree and levels (since there is no limit).

Small skills like cooking, survival (in the wilds), scavenging. Things that aren't important enough to put in the main skill menu.

Religion system where you can choose one of the deities to devote to and get a perk tree related to them. Perhaps if you do pilgrimages you get more levels and perk points to spend there, or if you do stuff related to what the deity is about. Perhaps also covering Daedra and Aedra.

Specializing in killing a specific type of enemy. Lets say every time you kill a bear you get some XP in killing bears specifically. If you reach a level you get a perk point related to bear type enemy. Perhaps some of those could include that bears take more damage from you, or maybe they stop being hostile altogether, and final perk is that you can tame them. Or alternatively you could get some beneficial effects that are related to bears that help you everywhere not just against bears. Each enemy type can have its own level and perk tree.

Things that only show up in specific parts of the game and not always there. For example Lich skill tree, Vampire (regular Vampire not Vampire Lord) skill tree. Those are only there if you actually become a Lich or Vampire and not always there so they fit in their own separate menu well.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw that succubus mod and was excited until I saw that it used FG.

Here's hoping someone can contact the mod author to get permission to convert it for SL.

But yeah, this is a huge get for the community. Just when I thought that Skyrim modding has reached its peak, the community continues to surprise me.

This basically solidify that switching to SSE was the right move. That and the stability of the game makes it impossible for me to go back to LE

• 4 months later...
On 12/5/2020 at 3:18 PM, Scythion said:

Hopefully we will see the skills Bethesda removed in Skyrim like mysticsm and acrobatics.

Would be awesome to see this combined with altering the existing skill trees. Morrowind had Short Blade, Long Sword, Blunt, Axe, Spear, hand-to-hand. Imagine getting all those skills back with actually good perks vs what Bethesda came up with. How about having all 3 armor types along with unarmored? So glad modders finally found a way around the 18 skill tree limit.