There's an even newer 1.9 beta patch out now.

Cozy Quote( "The update isn't what bugs me though, it's that it was forced on me.") The main reason everyone is having trouble is that SKSE is actually spyware in disguise. If you look at the base code the first thing it does when you launch your game is to contact home base and report what version you are using. Then it launches the game. Meanwhile, that "link" stays open for as long as you play the game. It will also report if you are using a pirated version of the game. Be that as it may, the main reason for the copious and frequent updates is to throw people using free versions of Skyrim off the system. The minor bugs they are fixing in the process could have been avoided if they had taken more time between updates to make sure the product worked in the first place. It's all about the money honey. They are in business to make it. I do have to admire this forum and others like it though, where else can Bethesda get some of the best minds in the world to work for free.

Even if this is true, surely there is a more effective way to deal with piracy other than pissing off the consumer? Which brings to mind why would anyone settle for a pirated version of an Elder Scrolls Game? I mean it's Elder Scrolls! Totally worth every penny. But of course there are people who will use pirated copies of ANYTHING! Still not sure the bit about SKSE is accurate, I mean Silverlock has been around a LOOONNNGG time, and SKSE, OBSE, FOSE, MWSE, NVSE, etc.. are all to the best of my knowledge 3rd party programs. Also what if our hypothetical pirate is using mods, which don't require SKSE? Actually SKSE isn't even my problem, my problem is the inability to turn off auto patching, which that in its self I could see how it would screw up people running pirated copies, but then again, do they run the pirated copies through Steam to begin with? Wouldn't Steam then know they were running pirated copies? Blah... I admit I am not up on all the techno jargon, this just doesn't make sense to me from a practical standpoint.

I mean it's Elder Scrolls! Totally worth every penny.

Not sure I could say that for myself when it comes to Morrowind and Skyrim. I mean, even though I know I have the two expansions left to play, I cannot be bothered to go back into Morrowind, Meanwhile I loathe Dawnguard and the only thing that's kept Skyrim installed after my first month is testing out mods.

Also, pretty sure pirated versions have a modified .exe that lets them not be bothered by Steam, or any other such nonsense that Bethesda tries.

Err, airdance, I think you got it wrong. Like absolutely shit wrong. What the dll and the loader does is that it creates a dummy launcher of the exe for Steam to launch as if like the launcher for Skyrim. What it then does is add the additional hooks and scripts required for SKSE to work in which the dummy then launches the game and shuts the dummy as the game is loaded. SE should give you a clue which is Script Extender.

Read better before shooting your mouth...

Archived