Depends on the file types the mod contains, pretty much every file is covered here (just scroll down a bit to the "Converting Oldrim Files" part).

image.png.c4d6b93477f32ab8a0511236bd6bce04.png

That being said, plugins with form 43 are the least important part as far as we know. The game works completely fine with mods using form 43, this is information we have after years of using several known mods with said form and no issues have been detected.

5 hours ago, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

Depends on the file types the mod contains, pretty much every file is covered here (just scroll down a bit to the "Converting Oldrim Files" part).

image.png.c4d6b93477f32ab8a0511236bd6bce04.png

That being said, plugins with form 43 are the least important part as far as we know. The game works completely fine with mods using form 43, this is information we have after years of using several known mods with said form and no issues have been detected.

Was wondering since I just got Special Edition and there are apparently dozens of mods that haven't been ported (or might be available elsewhere). Guessing I may have to do without some mods some of the things listed are most likely beyond me. No idea what updating scripts even is. Best I'll probably be able to do is port some followers and anything that doesn't include scripts.

Not every script has to be updated, in most cases they work fine without any convert procedure. And for the mods you have doubts there is the conversion tracking and the What is/where is for searchs/requests posts in this forum section. The worst thing are dll files, but most of the famous mods with dll files have been ported or have some unofficial updated dll somewhere. For everything else CAO should do the job with a couple of clicks.

3 hours ago, Rokabur said:

I'll definitely need to check my LE mods against the Conversion Tracking page as I can still tell many minor mods are likely never to get ported and if that CAO can do most of it by itself, shouldn't take too much effort.

Bro i've ported loads of mod's and i'm f-all more than a amatuer. unless it has a dll file it a piece of cake.

if your mod contains facegen data it's best to re-extract it with CK and add it back in.

i use this process.

1. use Cao. 

2. if it has facegen data extract it with CK and re-add it to mod. 

3. Load it, if it doesnt load resave in CK. otherwise leave it.

4. Convert sound files with https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/17765

the only time i have had trouble with the form type was porting World of Rudra. the ESM refused to load in 43 and 44 but CK created a dummy ESP in form 44 which reads the form 43 ESM and it works fine.

I've never had problems with scripts compatibility. 

Actually found a surprising number of LE mods ported to SSE. Still a great many not ported though. Looked into the NIF tools and I am NOT confident in using the Nifscan. Uncertain about the Nif Optimzer too. Scanned the entire mod directory and 6 mods are reporting something isn't correct even though the mods ARE from the SSE section on Nexus (and one mod from here).

Since I use MO2 to keep the install folder clean, I'm guessing I'll most likely need to add the LE mods to SSE profile and then use CAO and the CK to 'port' them? Just asking for expert advice before I commit to anything.