Trying to assamble new Gaming Computer

So I'm trying to assamble a gaming computer with a budget that may not go over 900 euro.

Can anyone give any tips or tricks on what I should replace, add or remove? I think I have about everything now.

http://azerty.nl/winkelmandje/winkelmandje/?legen=1&product%5B496883%5D=1&product%5B565796%5D=1&product%5B321431%5D=1&product%5B361602%5D=1&product%5B491246%5D=1&product%5B397470%5D=1&product%5B558089%5D=1&product%5B7517%5D=1

Sorry but the site is Dutch but not much different in hardware terms, I did include the montage of the PC with a 1 year warranty since I dont know how to assamble 1 myself and I dont want to take the risk to f*ck it up. But my niece her boyfriend can assamble a computer too, but I do like the 1 year warranty.

For those who dont want to visit the site:

Motherboard:   MSI Z77A-GD65   (Question but how do motherboards affect a computer peformens?

Videocard: MSI N660Ti-2GD5/OC (Nvideo GTX 660ti)

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K / 3.4 GHz

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS (1 TB)

power: Cooler Master GX Lite 600W

Cassing: Cooler Master Elite 430

Togheter it has a total price of: 869,42 euros. assambly and warranty included.

Without the assambly its 810,42

Should I take the assambly with 1 year warranty or let my niece her boyfriend do it?

Looks like a very reasonable build. I may consider 4x2, not 2x4 on the RAM but I like to fill the board - unless that's a 16gb board, then I would fill it with 4x4. ;)

Well its a 32gb board. But as far as I know RAM doesnt affact performance in games, unless you play with multiple programs open right?

So I'm trying to assamble a gaming computer with a budget that may not go over 900 euro.

Can anyone give any tips or tricks on what I should replace, add or remove? I think I have about everything now.

http://azerty.nl/winkelmandje/winkelmandje/?legen=1&product%5B496883%5D=1&product%5B565796%5D=1&product%5B321431%5D=1&product%5B361602%5D=1&product%5B491246%5D=1&product%5B397470%5D=1&product%5B558089%5D=1&product%5B7517%5D=1

Sorry but the site is Dutch but not much different in hardware terms, I did include the montage of the PC with a 1 year warranty since I dont know how to assamble 1 myself and I dont want to take the risk to f*ck it up. But my niece her boyfriend can assamble a computer too, but I do like the 1 year warranty.

For those who dont want to visit the site:

Motherboard:   MSI Z77A-GD65   (Question but how do motherboards affect a computer peformens?

Videocard: MSI N660Ti-2GD5/OC (Nvideo GTX 660ti)

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K / 3.4 GHz

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS (1 TB)

power: Cooler Master GX Lite 600W

Cassing: Cooler Master Elite 430

Togheter it has a total price of: 869,42 euros. assambly and warranty included.

Without the assambly its 810,42

Should I take the assambly with 1 year warranty or let my niece her boyfriend do it?

I think this is a nice start. Good hardware and should work well for a number of years with minimum expense and upgrade.

to answer the question related to the motherboard:

the motherboard is the heart of the system. It is the item that allows everything else to work from the processor to the graphic card. a crappy motherboard can affect the rest of the hardware.

The wrranty question is something you have to answer yourself. Questions to think about is "how reliable a service the provider will be?" How quick their repair can be? Is there someting hidden in the fine print that might limit the support and repair. Keep in mind that if you have someone else build it for you, you may have to diag it yourself because the builder might not be available or able to do so.

If you choose to build it don't have your niece boyfriend build it for you. Get in there with him and have him help guide you with many of the parts so that you can learn about computers and parts and even upgrading them. In the future you will be able to build your own custom comptuers and maybe even build some for your friends as well.

Looks like a very reasonable build. I may consider 4x2, not 2x4 on the RAM but I like to fill the board - unless that's a 16gb board, then I would fill it with 4x4. ;)

Well its a 32gb board. But as far as I know RAM doesnt affact performance in games, unless you play with multiple programs open right?

You are correct. I would do as Ramses stated as well if possible money wise just because in the future programs and other items might cause the need to upgrade the memory and it is just easier to have it to begin with. 8 gigs is a nice for a current computer build. I have 16 gigs.

I think this is a nice start. Good hardware and should work well for a number of years with minimum expense and upgrade.

the motherboard is the heart of the system. It is the item that allows everything else to work from the processor to the graphic card. a crappy motherboard can affect the rest of the hardware.

The wrranty question is something you have to answer yourself. Questions to think about is "how reliable a service the provider will be?" How quick their repair can be? Is there someting hidden in the fine print that might limit the support and repair. Keep in mind that if you have someone else build it for you, you may have to diag it yourself because the builder might not be available or able to do so.

If you choose to build it don't have your niece boyfriend build it for you. Get in there with him and have him help guide you with many of the parts so that you can learn about computers and parts and even upgrading them. In the future you will be able to build your own custom comptuers and maybe even build some for your friends as well.

Thanks for explaining what the motherboard does. But yea I might consider doing it togheter with him so I can learn a thing or two.

Thanks for explaining what the motherboard does. But yea I might consider doing it togheter with him so I can learn a thing or two.

Good to hear. Did you have him look over the computer components as well? He might have some more insite on what you migh need. If he builds often and is current on tech he could also help you make a few changes or additions like the filling of the slots and if 8 gigs is reasonable for you at this time and place in your life or not.

Also check the web for the components reviews. PC Magazine, Overclockers.com and others to help you feel 100% confident with the components you will be using as well as gaining more knowlege related to computer parts and expectations of performance.

Good to hear. Did you have him look over the computer components as well? He might have some more insite on what you migh need. If he builds often and is current on tech he could also help you make a few changes or additions like the filling of the slots and if 8 gigs is reasonable for you at this time and place in your life or not.

Also check the web for the components reviews. PC Magazine, Overclockers.com and others to help you feel 100% confident with the components you will be using as well as gaining more knowlege related to computer parts and expectations of performance.

Well, After what you said I might take the 16 ram(My brother still owes me 100 bucks so). I found 2 but is there any difference between 2 x 8 and 4 x 4 performance wise?

Well I already researched the Intel Core i5 3570k before and read that its good for overclocking etc.

The embarising thing is is that Im studying for software development and I know almost nothing about computer parts. I do know the "standard" things of computer parts, like the amount of RAM, Videocard memory etc. But if I look into the more detailed details of hardware I have no clue on what Im reading. But meh Im more for the software then the hardware.

ow and Im gonna let him over look it tomorow since its kinda late to ask him for this.

To add something else embarising....I've almost never played a game above 25 fps on a pc ( I own a ps3 so I get higher fps when playing on that)...and honestly I dont care much. Personally I cant see much of a difference between 20 and 30.

Currently Im playing all games on my school laptop which is pretty decent for the price I bought it 1 and a half year ago.

It has a Intel i5 2410M 2.3 Ghz with a TurboBoost of 2.9 Ghz (I have no clue what this turboBoost is)

4gb ram

Nvidia Geforce GT 520M 1gb and with a turbocache of up to 2741mb (again no clue what this is, tried googling it but with little effect)

and 500 gb harddisk

at the time it was 450 euro

Well, After what you said I might take the 16 ram(My brother still owes

me 100 bucks so). I found 2 but is there any difference between 2 x 8

and 4 x 4 performance wise?

Great you won't have to go back later and upgrade the memory.

Some might aruge but I cannot see the difference. Some have stated that the motherboard now has more "channels" for the data to go through. Think of it as having 2 people as opposed to 4 (or in this case 1 person to 2 since the memory is dual channel having data running through a pair of memory as opposed to Single channel)

If your laptop satisfies your gaming needs that the new gaming computer will be great for you. Keep in mind that larger monitors, higher DPI will lower you FPS. Also as you add mods be they textures, or NPC or buildings. Every addition is more for your computer to work with. Since you work/study on the software side you probably know that more than me.

Well, After what you said I might take the 16 ram(My brother still owes

me 100 bucks so). I found 2 but is there any difference between 2 x 8

and 4 x 4 performance wise?

Great you won't have to go back later and upgrade the memory.

Some might aruge but I cannot see the difference. Some have stated that the motherboard now has more "channels" for the data to go through. Think of it as having 2 people as opposed to 4 (or in this case 1 person to 2 since the memory is dual channel having data running through a pair of memory as opposed to Single channel)

okee, I guess Im going for the 2 x 8 since they are 2 RAM card things insted of 4 so I guess I have more room for others (If thats possible)

If your laptop satisfies your gaming needs that the new gaming computer will be great for you. Keep in mind that larger monitors, higher DPI will lower you FPS. Also as you add mods be they textures, or NPC or buildings. Every addition is more for your computer to work with. Since you work/study on the software side you probably know that more than me.

haha yea I know this, the more it has to load, render etc. etc. But yea Im trying to get a high end computer with a not so big budget so I can upgrade it in the futher and keep the grahpics up to date for future games. Kinda getting tired to not be able to run a game at its fullest potential..

haha, yea that was what I was thinking about. But is that even possible? like 2  2 x 8?

Yes, more expensive though. Still have to match the memory correctly in the future and the memory you buy today might not be sold later. Important to have the same memory (stats) if you ever plan to overclock etc.

There's really no point going 4x4. 2x8 will leave you 2 free if you ever decide to get another 2x8 (not likely :D)

haha, yea that was what I was thinking about. But is that even possible? like 2  2 x 8?

16 is already excessive. Only people I know that use 32gig are professional video editors and animators. Even then they rarely use all of that.

4x2 gig modules is going to be more than enough for a couple of years and by then memory will drop and he can upgrade. Often for the same cost difference as what he'd pay to day for high quality fast 2x8 gig ram today.

haha yea I know this, the more it has to load, render etc. etc. But

yea Im trying to get a high end computer with a not so big budget so I

can upgrade it in the futher and keep the grahpics up to date for future

games. Kinda getting tired to not be able to run a game at its fullest

potential..

Your original config should be more than enough for upper end gaming for a year or so. It is right around the middle upper configuration for many gaming builds today. I know I work at a retail store where electronics are sold. Many times simular builds configurations are sold. If you learn/gain confidence on working/upgrading your computer you can save and wait for special sales offers or rebates and make the next logical upgrade based on your current need. Memory no problem, Graphics, simple. The hardest and most difficult aspect is motherboard processor assembly and the first bios updates and configuration.

Actually, that's not accurate. I've done much reading and many tests over years. When you run a 64bit OS and have <8GB of RAM, disable your swapfile, entirely. This essentially disables all of the HD swapping done by Windows - even if plenty of RAM is available. It's a massive bottleneck. Since Windows 2000, I have NOT used a swapfile and can tell you games WILL use additional RAM if it's available. Load times are almost instant in many cases as a program or game become 'resident' in RAM. They're quickly loaded on restarts, etc.

32gb may be overkill unless you're a power user and really know what you're doing. 16gb would be adequate and last you for many years.

Attached are files for a tutorial I wrote on how to disable the swap completely. I hightly recommend it.

post-34206-0-88134700-1362149073_thumb.pngpost-34206-0-46207200-1362149074_thumb.pngpost-34206-0-86732400-1362149074_thumb.pngpost-34206-0-36972900-1362149075_thumb.png

Actually, that's not accurate. I've done much reading and many tests over years. When you run a 64bit OS and have <8GB of RAM, disable your swapfile, entirely. This essentially disables all of the HD swapping done by Windows - even if plenty of RAM is available. It's a massive bottleneck. Since Windows 2000, I have NOT used a swapfile and can tell you games WILL use additional RAM if it's available. Load times are almost instant in many cases as a program or game become 'resident' in RAM. They're quickly loaded on restarts, etc.

32gb may be overkill unless you're a power user and really know what you're doing. 16gb would be adequate and last you for many years.

Attached are files for a tutorial I wrote on how to disable the swap completely. I hightly recommend it.

attachicon.gifTut_01.pngattachicon.gifTut_02.pngattachicon.gifTut_03.pngattachicon.gifTut_04.png

Oh nice thanks a lot! Didnt knew that.

everything looks good but i see one thing that might come back to bite you in a couple weeks, may i suggest moving from the silver rated PSU 600 Watt lite edition to atleast a gold or platinum edition  , difference is better components used in the construction of them with higher Caps and better quality controls in the mfg of the psu's also on another note your cpu may be a lower overhead voltage user but the GPU mainboard and the rest of your components are pretty much power users and dependant on such, i would recommend giving yourself a bit of head room and moving upto atleast a 750 watt

everything looks good but i see one thing that might come back to bite you in a couple weeks, may i suggest moving from the silver rated PSU 600 Watt lite edition to atleast a gold or platinum edition  , difference is better components used in the construction of them with higher Caps and better quality controls in the mfg of the psu's also on another note your cpu may be a lower overhead voltage user but the GPU mainboard and the rest of your components are pretty much power users and dependant on such, i would recommend giving yourself a bit of head room and moving upto atleast a 750 watt

I would second that... It also might mean it can solve issues down the road if you deside to upgrad the GPU later. Tracing power supply issues can be such a b... um.... well... pain. Sorry didn't really notice that. On paper it looks good until one takes a closer look.. yes definatly do this.

yep definatly doesn't hurt to have a gold rated well constructed psu be sure to check reviews tho usually the ones made by seasonic (alot of psu crafters use em) are pretty damn good and for most builds unless you plan to go sli or crossfire in the future there's no real need for anything above 750w even taking into account that the psu degrades to lower standards by long usage (tho this is barely noticable unless your really close to the treshold, or the psu is around 10y of age)

yeah a good rule of thumb is take the VGA MFG.'s recommended PSU requirement and add 150watts to 200 more , and that will give you a good starting point, not many people will venture into Overclocking but sometimes its a requirement when your looking to get a stable running pc, and that may or may not lead to more additions like fans and fan controllers or larger fans ...in any event your looking at a utility that may need more head room then going with just the recommended psu requirements, on a side note though that VGA card you picked also has a triple power gain feature to it that will suck the life outta a 600 pretty easily especially a low end PSU.

here is a quote from one of my other posts but the links give you a good starting point, they can be vague but at the very least it will give you a good starting point for your build and best of regards if you need help later on I'm sure someone will be around

try this tool for factoring your requirements and needs its not exact but its a good start

http://images10.newe...calc/index.html

in some cases I'd go over their recommendations by 200-300 watts just to be sure i have adequate coverage.

and another useful tool is this link

http://en.wikipedia....89xxx.29_series

Curseddonut, your getting a lot of great info... Hope it isn't making you second guess building a new pc with all this different info.. :shy:

Maybe when you have finished you can post some pictures and stats of your new rig? Let us know how it came along. You know what you finally did decide on how it worked etc.